• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do with a 3rd bunny!

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Didn't really know what the title of this thread should be :lol: I've been in this position twice before, once I kept the 3rd rabbit as a single house rabbit and the second time I bonded a trio which broke down after a couple of months.

As some of you know 2 of my hand reared baby's have a lovely home to go to this weekend. I am struggling with the remaining girl though, she is still advertised but I am getting no interest or people who don't spay/vaccinate or won't consider improving their accommodation which is too small. She has outgrown the dog crate she was in and I have used all the pen panels I have for the boys' set up. So she is free range in our bedroom, she's litter trained, binky's around and flops out on the bed with us on an evening so it's very difficult not to get attached to her :oops:

I don't think I would try a trio again, although I think having 2 girls and 1 boy would have better chances than the 2 males in my previous trio. Our bedroom is very big so plenty of room for a bunny (or 2!) but it wasn't really our plan to have 4 rabbits! But then it's not fair for me to keep her as a single, I'm sure she would have a partner at some point in the future but some one else may be able to offer her a better home in the mean time if I keep her advertised. But the longer she is with us the more we love her!

I put a lot of effort into hand rearing them I want them to have the best lives, I know I can't control this and I understand peoples circumstances change but I would hate for them to be unwanted or not cared for as they should. But is it fair for me to keep a single rabbit?

The main point in a way is bunny is "home" whether or not she has another bunny friend. I am sure you will decide what to do in time.

I think it depends very much on the rabbit as to wether they will be ok as a single house rabbit. For example my previous outside rabbits were very rabbity rabbits and didn’t want human contact, whereas Boots was totally the opposite and Frosty is too. It also depends how much human company a house rabbit would get too, if you/family are out mostly then I think they should probably have a friend.

It sounds like she is happy:love: I can’t understand why she hasn’t been snapped up :love:

I think it depends very much on the rabbit as to wether they will be ok as a single house rabbit. For example my previous outside rabbits were very rabbity rabbits and didn’t want human contact, whereas Boots was totally the opposite and Frosty is too. It also depends how much human company a house rabbit would get too, if you/family are out mostly then I think they should probably have a friend.

It sounds like she is happy:love: I can’t understand why she hasn’t been snapped up :love:

Totally agree with this

That's a good point Tonibun! :)

It's difficult because she's not been with another rabbit besides her siblings. I knew Boris was happier being an indoor single bun as he was never interested in the company of other rabbits and tried to leave them and come back inside :lol: I was upset separating her from her siblings but I don't think she noticed, she can interact through very small bars but she doesn't bother with them. I ought to do a new advert for her but I keep putting it off, will have a proper think and decide! :) I don't know why she hasn't had interest either :love:

It sounds like she has a lovely life with you. She isn't pining for her siblings or seeming lonely. Maybe she is a bun who will be happy as an indoor single bun? Is she alone all day? You have done such an awesome job getting them all to a stage where they can be rehomed and perhaps she is meant to stay with you.

It sounds like she has a lovely life with you. She isn't pining for her siblings or seeming lonely. Maybe she is a bun who will be happy as an indoor single bun? Is she alone all day? You have done such an awesome job getting them all to a stage where they can be rehomed and perhaps she is meant to stay with you.

This!

If you are able to and you obviously sound tempted, then I would go for it :) x

Keep her! You'll end up assessing her needs along the way but it sounds like she is happy doing her thing with you . She has obviously stollen your heart. If I'd hand reared kits I'd want to keep one

That's a good point Tonibun! :)

It's difficult because she's not been with another rabbit besides her siblings. I knew Boris was happier being an indoor single bun as he was never interested in the company of other rabbits and tried to leave them and come back inside :lol: I was upset separating her from her siblings but I don't think she noticed, she can interact through very small bars but she doesn't bother with them. I ought to do a new advert for her but I keep putting it off, will have a proper think and decide! :) I don't know why she hasn't had interest either :love:

Hi Liz

Thinking honestly and and out loud here, I would assess whether you feel you can take on another little one right now, and consider your own welfare as much as your little rabbit's :)

Thank you all :) I do think it would be sad for me not to keep a rabbit I've hand reared, and we did discuss the possibility of us keeping a pair when there was four of them.

My partner works evenings and I work during the day, so he spends time with her in the daytime then I spend a few hours in the evening with her. I would have her downstairs but not an option since we have Jack dog who is very calm and doesn't bother the rabbits but I still keep them separate all the time.

MM, that is a good point. Financially having an additional rabbit isn't an issue, but I wouldn't have chose this time to get an additional pet otherwise.

My wee Bertie is a single house bun, as was my late rabbit, Spenser Milton. I know keeping single rabbits is not considered ideal for them, but when that is a way of the rabbit having more company (albeit human!) they can still have a good life.

Back