• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thorn injury question.

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Archie and Pip went to the vet today for their vhd2 booster, both were well behaved and the vet said they looked very healthy. Archie has lost 30g, so we are keeping an eye on him. But she didn't seem worried, said he was nice an muscular. Haha

Just before we took them to the vets, I noticed a little circle of blood near their forage bowl and it was on the outside of the bowl too!

I asked the vet to check claws, because we've had one claw break before and blood looked similar. However their claws were all intact.
She checked their mouths and teeth and all was good.

I'm wondering if one of them hurt themselves on some dried bramble that was in the bowl. Has anyone else's buns had an injury from thorns? Maybe it spiked their mouth or they stood on one?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Archie and Pip went to the vet today for their vhd2 booster, both were well behaved and the vet said they looked very healthy. Archie has lost 30g, so we are keeping an eye on him. But she didn't seem worried, said he was nice an muscular. Haha

Just before we took them to the vets, I noticed a little circle of blood near their forage bowl and it was on the outside of the bowl too!

I asked the vet to check claws, because we've had one claw break before and blood looked similar. However their claws were all intact.

I'm wondering if one of them hurt themselves on some dried bramble that was in the bowl. Has anyone else's buns had an injury from thorns? Maybe it spiked their mouth or they stood on one?

Did the Vet check their hocks ?

Yeah and she checked their tummies too.

I cant say any of my Bunnies have been injured by a bramble thorn. But I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility. As long as no more spots of blood appear I wouldn't worry too much :)

Sorry I didn't see this earlier Merv.

Odd isn't it? I guess since it was also on the bowl it's likely to have come from the mouth area. A tiny drop of blood could have spread with the water and perhaps looked more than it actually was (hoping).

Keep an eye out for anything else - but I know you always do.

And yes, my buns have been spiked by stuff in the past, and it's even caused them pain.
Hopefully it's a one off x

Thanks to you both. It stopped me worrying

There's been no more blood. It definitely wasn't mixed with water though because their water bowl is on the other side of the pen.

They both seem to be eating less since their vaccination yesterday and are snoozing more. I'm guessing this is normal. I can't remember last time what they were like. They are still running over excited when it's pellet time but aren't eating them in one go like normal.

Back