• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Something awful happened :( *sensitive*

tiger_lily

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

I've not posted in a while, but I've had to come back today to share what's just happened and ask for a bit of advice.

I think one of our dogs killed Jessie :(

Oscar and Jessie have been living outside in their double hutch for the last 6 months of so quite happily, but my husband came up to bed last night shaking saying he looked out after he had let the dogs out to go to the toilet and one of them and Jessie in her mouth and was shaking her. He went out and the dog dropped Jessie straight away, but it was too late and it looks like her neck was broken :( we know it wasn't the dogs fault but it's really hard to look at her at the moment...

We have no idea what happened, the hutch bolts are still working so now my husband is beating himself up because he must have left the bolt undone when he fed them... There was no sign of a struggle or anything which I'm surprised at as we have real trouble trying to get hold of Jessie even now.
I hope that she had died earlier in the day before the dog got hold of her, but I guess we won't know now.

Our problem is now what to do with Oscar. He's 8 years old now and has been with Jessie the 7.5 of those years. He seems ok at the moment and is still eating, however I hate the thought of him being outside by himself (having him in the house isn't an option at the moment). We can't adopt another rabbit at the moment, but I hate the thought of having to re-home him...

Any suggestions most welcome.

Hi guys,

I've not posted in a while, but I've had to come back today to share what's just happened and ask for a bit of advice.

Oscar and Jessie have been living outside in their double hutch for the last 6 months of so quite happily, but my husband came up to bed last night shaking saying he looked out after he had let the dogs out to go to the toilet and one of them and Jessie in her mouth and was shaking her. He went out and the dog dropped Jessie straight away, but it was too late and it looks like her neck was broken :( we know it wasn't the dogs fault but it's really hard to look at her at the moment...

We have no idea what happened, the hutch bolts are still working so now my husband is beating himself up because he must have left the bolt undone when he fed them... There was no sign of a struggle or anything which I'm surprised at as we have real trouble trying to get hold of Jessie even now.
I hope that she had died earlier in the day before the dog got hold of her, but I guess we won't know now.

Our problem is now what to do with Oscar. He's 8 years old now and has been with Jessie the 7.5 of those years. He seems ok at the moment and is still eating, however I hate the thought of him being outside by himself (having him in the house isn't an option at the moment). We can't adopt another rabbit at the moment, but I hate the thought of having to re-home him...

How horrific :cry: I am very sorry :cry:

I would give yourself a bit of time to think things through. You and your husband must be very shocked and making any big decisions about Oscar now may not be the best idea. However, if over the next few weeks it becomes obvious that your circumstances are not going to change and Oscar will not be able to be a House Rabbit and neither are you able to adopt a new Rabbit as a companion for him then I am afraid I would advise you to think seriously of Rehoming him. He could have another 4-5 years of life remaining and personally I dont think it would be fare for him to remain alone and living outside for all that time.

Condolences for your loss, RIP Jessie x

I'm so sorry for your loss :( You're in a very tough situation in regards to Oscar, I've been wondering the same about my gerbil as his brother just died. He's never been alone, I don't want any more gerbils, but realistically he's an old boy, he's not got long left to be alone and even if I gave him to a rescue I doubt anyone would want to try bond a gerbil that's not going to live for much longer. I don't mean to upset you but I really believe that living outside will be very lonely for Oscar. You've said having him inside or adopting another rabbit isn't an option 'at the moment', how long do you think it would be until one of these is an option?

I'm really sorry that's just awful. I'm glad you can acknowledge it's not your dog's fault even though you are finding it hard to look at them. It's just terribly tragic.

It's too early for you to make a decision but I just thought it was worth mentioning that my vet lost her male rabbit this week and is looking for an older companion for a 9 year old rabbit. She asked me to let her know if I came across any. Rehoming is very hard but if you do decide it's the best option then this would be a really good home. (Skipton area).

Hi guys,

I'm so sorry to hear of this, you must be shocked and devastated.

I wouldn't make any decision in a hurry, even though the thought of Oscar alone outside isn't appealing. Whilst he's doing well you've got time to consider what's best all round.

It may be that the best thing would be to rehire Oscar, as he's been very used to company and will no doubt get lonely by himself outside. But I don't think it's quite come to that yet. There may be other possibilities that present themselves and make this work out.

My thoughts are with you :(

I'm so sorry about what's happened. It's so recent, I would give yourself some time before making any decisions x

Thank you for your advice and kind words. After a long chat, we decided it is in Oscars best interests to re-home him bug it's looking like my brother can take him to live with him as a house rabbit. His girlfriend is home all day so he'll have lots of company and we can still see him and hear how he's getting on.

Now to point him in the direction of this forum!

Thank you for your advice and kind words. After a long chat, we decided it is in Oscars best interests to re-home him bug it's looking like my brother can take him to live with him as a house rabbit. His girlfriend is home all day so he'll have lots of company and we can still see him and hear how he's getting on.

that sounds like the perfect solution for all of you x

This has worked out really well for all concerned and especially for little Oscar :love:

Back