• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Henriette has stasis

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Yesterday morning I noticed my rabbit, Henriette, wasn't interested in her food which is highly unusual. She also seemed uncomfortable and was grinding her teeth. I gave her some medicam and she ate sparingly. Gave her another dose before bed. And syringed some water into her.

In the morning I could see she used the litter box but her poops were smaller than normal. And she still wasn't eating. So I took her to the Vets and got her xrayed. Showed she has a gas bubble and hardly no food in her lower instestines. Her higher intestines had some food. The Vet did a lot of gentle massage on her with a warm heated towel.

She also had a pain reliever injection and one dose of antibiotics. I brought her home and syringed critcial care into her. She has metacam twice daily for a week and antibiotics. She has eaten some dandelions and a couple sprigs of hay but is mostly hunched up or trying to get comfortable on her stomach. She is still grinding her teeth and not very interested in food.

I'm going to give her more critical care in an hour. But she was so stressed out all day I'm giving her some time to rest right now. Oh and I also did some stomach massaging.
I'm scared ....I hope she'll be ok. What else should I look for?

Yesterday morning I noticed my rabbit, Henriette, wasn't interested in her food which is highly unusual. She also seemed uncomfortable and was grinding her teeth. I gave her some medicam and she ate sparingly. Gave her another dose before bed. And syringed some water into her.

In the morning I could see she used the litter box but her poops were smaller than normal. And she still wasn't eating. So I took her to the Vets and got her xrayed. Showed she has a gas bubble and hardly no food in her lower instestines. Her higher intestines had some food. The Vet did a lot of gentle massage on her with a warm heated towel.

She also had a pain reliever injection and one dose of antibiotics. I brought her home and syringed critcial care into her. She has metacam twice daily for a week and antibiotics. She has eaten some dandelions and a couple sprigs of hay but is mostly hunched up or trying to get comfortable on her stomach. She is still grinding her teeth and not very interested in food.

I'm going to give her more critical care in an hour. But she was so stressed out all day I'm giving her some time to rest right now. Oh and I also did some stomach massaging.

I am sorry that Henrietta is unwell. Did the Vet rule out a full gastrointestinal obstruction ? As well as an abdominal Xray a blood glucose test is a useful diagnostic tool. I am wondering if the fact that The Vet has not prescribed any prokinetics (gut motility meds such as metoclopramide and Ranitidine) is because he/she was not certain that there is no obstruction ? I am also thinking that maybe Henrietta needs to be admitted for IV fluids and intensive supportive nursing care.

From what you have described re Henrietta's specific symptoms and the radiographic findings I would want to get her seen again for re-assessment ASAP if she has not had any fecal output and/or is still tooth grinding. Force feeding her may not now be appropriate if nothing at all is moving through.

These links may be useful to read :

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/PhysicalTraumatic/AcuteGIT_ObstructionRabbits.htm

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?id=3846185&pid=11147

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content...=29493&id=3846186&ind=70&objTypeID=17&print=1

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ac07/9915d6e64fe1afe442204871cb21c282f31b.pdf

I'm really sorry to hear this. It's very worrying I know, but it sounds like your vet is taking care of her well.

Have you tried Infacol? It's infant gas meds, and can help get rid of gas, which it seems your vet noticed:

Infacol.co.uk

People on here have found it definitely a life saver. You can give one mil every hour for three doses.
The massaging will also help, as will heat.

If your vet hasn't taken a blood glucose test, I would advise this.
Here are the figure for it:

Taken from Lecture Notes emailed to me by Frances Harcourt Brown

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre)

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

The other thing would be for the vet to take her temperature.

Also, have you seen these, as I found them very useful:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

Thank you. She is doing small poops and today some runny cecos. She ate a few pellets and i gave her more critical care. Just waiting for the Vet to call back. She is still shivering today. There were no blocks on the xray. He did 3 xrays. I did more massage with her today. I'm going to ask for her to get IV fluids. She does have an appiintment at 230 pm today but he was going to call me before that. I'm thinking she needs some stronger pain meds.

Thank you. She is doing small poops and today some runny cecos. She ate a few pellets and i gave her more critical care. Just waiting for the Vet to call back. She is still shivering today. There were no blocks on the xray. He did 3 xrays. I did more massage with her today. I'm going to ask for her to get IV fluids. She does have an appiintment at 230 pm today but he was going to call me before that. I'm thinking she needs some stronger pain meds.

I am sorry she is shivering. I hope your vet can help you.
Still sending vibes and hoping all will be well x

Yes I will get some gas meds, thx

I do hope that Henrietta is responding to treatment by now ?

Hi sorry I was slow to update. She is doing really well now! Eating and pooping and grabbing her treats as normal. I ended up getting some stronger pain meds for her and that seemed to really help. I also spent a lot of time massaging her belly with a heatpad. This really was the worst I've ever encountered with stasis.

I think it may have been caused by the stress of trying to bond her with Mr. Timmins a new bunny. They were doing sessions in the bathtub and things were going so well. They were cuddling and not fighting at all. But when I moved them into a pen all hell broke loose. Henri started attacking Timmins. He didn't seeem particularly bothered. He'd run away but he was eating, etc. But then he finally snapped and started fighting back. I separated them but Henri was so upset.

I think this is what caused the stasis.

Hi sorry I was slow to update. She is doing really well now! Eating and pooping and grabbing her treats as normal. I ended up getting some stronger pain meds for her and that seemed to really help. I also spent a lot of time massaging her belly with a heatpad. This really was the worst I've ever encountered with stasis.

I think it may have been caused by the stress of trying to bond her with Mr. Timmins a new bunny. They were doing sessions in the bathtub and things were going so well. They were cuddling and not fighting at all. But when I moved them into a pen all hell broke loose. Henri started attacking Timmins. He didn't seeem particularly bothered. He'd run away but he was eating, etc. But then he finally snapped and started fighting back. I separated them but Henri was so upset.

I am glad that Henrietta is doing a lot better now. It does seem likely that stress caused the gut stasis.

Yes, I have heard of stress in those circumstances causing stasis.
I am glad she's nw doing well :)

Back