• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Food when travelling to vets

Annie_90

Young Bun
I'm one of those using a vets a bit of a trek from home - is it okay to have hay in the carrier when the rabbit's in for a spay? I'm trying to prepare for the balance of her having food but not creating a problem once there are wounds - should I just ask the vets to clear out the hay before putting bun back in? And what about food on the trip home?

For the boy's neuter there was hay both there and back but he bounced back straight away and happily sat on the other side of the carrier.

Personally I'd take her there with hay but leave a clean towel (no hay) for the return journey, just in case it irritates her spay wound. Its rare bunnies will eat in carriers whilst on the move. Good luck for her op xx

Personally I'd take her there with hay but leave a clean towel (no hay) for the return journey, just in case it irritates her spay wound. Its rare bunnies will eat in carriers whilst on the move. Good luck for her op xx

"I likes to eats while we're in the big vroom, I all so like to dig, and when my sister is totally stoned I get jealous and try to take all the attentions. I also sit on her head and use her as a table" - Orion

good luck for the OP :)

usually I would suggest packing a "lunch" for her to give after. hay, herbs, pellet, any nice noms she likes to hopefully encourage her to eat. if you hand them over, you can ask them to give them to her afterwards. most vets don't mind! on the way back, an empty carrier with just some newspaper is best, or a towel. my vets keep the carrier as bunnies are in a large kennel, it smells of them and makes a good hiding place. if they do, just ask them to empty it out if possible. the small space could mean that hay or bits of dirt poke into the wound. its a small risk, but still one none the less.

I always put hay in carrier for vet visits and ops, mine all munch away at it - normally after an op they are given back with no hay - they put hay in cage for them to have when they wake up - so it's not a problem

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I'm one of those using a vets a bit of a trek from home - is it okay to have hay in the carrier when the rabbit's in for a spay? I'm trying to prepare for the balance of her having food but not creating a problem once there are wounds - should I just ask the vets to clear out the hay before putting bun back in? And what about food on the trip home?

For the boy's neuter there was hay both there and back but he bounced back straight away and happily sat on the other side of the carrier.

Good luck for the spay!

I should leave hay in the carrier on the journey there, if you think she will eat it, and then put some soft fleece (I use vet bed) for the return journey. Make sure the vet knows it's yours though, as otherwise it will end up with their own pile of blankets :)

I usually also send a packed lunch of whatever the rabbit usually eats, because vets like to see the rabbit eating before they will discharge.

Thank you all. I'll take some hay for the journey there, and a clean towel(s) and herbs for the return - if she's eaten lots at the vets I'll just keep them ready, I'm thinking pausing the journey halfway through for food might be an idea. (I'd love to use something softer but she's a chewer and sometimes fully eats things) Thank you for your well wishes. I'm 50% counting down the days and 50% anxious!

I try to get rabbits straight home after an op. They need to be kept warm until they are properly mobile and eating again, and they are usually happier to eat in their usual environment.

I try to get rabbits straight home after an op. They need to be kept warm until they are properly mobile and eating again, and they are usually happier to eat in their usual environment.
I agree, after an op, it's straight home to sleep and chill at home then eating a bit later

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Back