• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think I'm losing Esme - deteriorating - it was intestinal cancer.

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Last Tuesday, at the age of 10 years 9 months, she had a blockage. When admitted at the vets the blood glucose was 18, though they tried everything medically it went up to 28 and she was blowing up. Despite her age we elected for surgery as she presents as younger than her years.

She got through the surgery remarkably well and was even eating in the first 24 hours. However, they found a stricture and adhesions. The long term prognosis is not good. Her recovery from the surgery was quite slow but steady and yesterday morning she stopped eating. she was admitted to the vets for supportive care.

Today I got the dreaded phone call to say she is very quiet and hasn't eaten on her own. Her blood glucose is rising. It's looking like she's heading towards being blocked again and I've been asked if I wanted to consider surgery again. Given the long-term prognosis I've said not. We are continuing to treat medically but I don't think she can get through this.

I think I'm losing her... and only weeks after losing Tink.

Last edited:
Oh no :cry: I’m so sorry:cry: you’ve done everything you could for her, I really hope she can pull through.

Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

I am devastated for you A, I really dont know what to say other than I totally agree with your decision not to opt for more surgery. Please know that you remain in my thoughts xx

I’m so sorry Esme is poorly again after she seemed to be recovering after her surgery [emoji17] It goes without saying that you fight so hard for your bunnies. I really hope Esme is able to pull through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everybody

I've had another call to say she is deteriorating. She's really flat. X-ray shows there's a likely impaction forming. She's on fluids to support her heart. They are giving her an hour or two but I really don't think she can get through this.

Thank you everybody

I've had another call to say she is deteriorating. She's really flat. X-ray shows there's a likely impaction forming. She's on fluids to support her heart. They are giving her an hour or two but I really don't think she can get through this.

:cry:

Back