• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit safe flea treatments

My boys have been very itchy since coming back from the vet, so as a precaution I'd like to deflea them again. Last time they were done AT the vet but after paying £80 last week on vaccinations and a manicure, I'd rather do it myself. What rabbit safe brands could I buy? I am UK based, specifically South Wales.

My boys have been very itchy since coming back from the vet, so as a precaution I'd like to deflea them again. Last time they were done AT the vet but after paying £80 last week on vaccinations and a manicure, I'd rather do it myself. What rabbit safe brands could I buy? I am UK based, specifically South Wales.
When was it last done?

Unless they have fleas I wouldn't do it personally.

Itchy how? Could it be a skin irritation? Did they have vacancies at the vets? Sometimes there can be a small irritation around where it was injected. Or it could be something else... I'd be wary to jump to applying a chemical treatment without knowing the cause of the itchiness

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I agree with Gracie. Have a good look through their fur and see if you can see any signs of fleas ie black flea droppings before applying any treatment. If you see signs then Advantage is good. Are they still moulting?

They are seemingly ALWAYS molting, I can't see any black dots, they are itching everywhere, one rabbit more than the other. It's not like, non stop and worrying, just more than usual. Could it be their molt? I'll brush them a bit more if thats the case.

They are seemingly ALWAYS molting, I can't see any black dots, they are itching everywhere, one rabbit more than the other. It's not like, non stop and worrying, just more than usual. Could it be their molt? I'll brush them a bit more if thats the case.

They don't have the white specks .. 'walking dandruff', do they?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

Often you don't see anything like is in those photos, but just a few specks of white which comb out.

Have you parted their fur (I'm sure you have) and can you see anything at all?
Rabbits don't usually scratch when they moult, but they shouldn't be itching that much.

Fleas aren't that common unless you have other animals around to pass them on, or unless other animals come into the house.

I just had a bloody good look while they are sleepy, and there's not spots or dandruff or anything, but I am COVERED in fur after just 20 seconds of holding them. They are like tarantulas, just launching hair everywhere as soon as you touch them!

I just had a bloody good look while they are sleepy, and there's not spots or dandruff or anything, but I am COVERED in fur after just 20 seconds of holding them. They are like tarantulas, just launching hair everywhere as soon as you touch them!
Yea two of mine are having mega moults atm!

I wouldn't treat them with flea stuff unless you've seen fleas :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

if you do ever need a flea treatment, please consult your vet first and only go with what they recommend. however, I would only ever recommend advantage for the weight of your rabbit. other flea treatments, such as beaphar, do not work and do not have any evidence of working. many of the treatments are unsafe. I have seen all too often of rabbits being sick from off brand flea treatment (or dogs/cats becoming unwell) with chemical reactions etc.

always consult your vet before doing it anyhow.

rabbits generally don't get fleas unless another household animal such as a cat or a dog brings them in. but then its generally better to treat/prevent the source (dog/cat) and the rabbits, and then continue preventing the source of the fleas, which will be the

the flea treatment also doesn't last half as long due to a rabbits quick metabolism. so its becomes very costly, but also is considered useless. which could cause more issues preventing when they don't need it.

if they are itching after the vaccine, it might just be the irritation from it.

if it was before, I would suggest a vet appointment to check for any possibility of mites, fleas etc and get to the bottom of the issue.

Back