• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update, Evan Stasis again 12/9 Need positive vibes

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
On Monday morning my spouse told me he heard Evan sneeze that morning and the night before. I did not hear it on Monday or Tuesday and Evan's nose was very clean so I thought he may have just had some fur (he is shedding) or hay in his nose. Today around 5:30 pm, after the vet closed, I heard several loud sneezes followed by a few more minutes later. His nose was wet after he sneezed, no crusting or discharge. Now, 7:30pm, I just heard him making three or four more loud sneezes. Earlier he eagerly ate his dandelion greens. In my opinion his sneezes are quite big for a bunny who does not even weigh two pounds. He is a sitting bunny (unlike his brother Dash) so now I am worried about my sweet boy. He is inside in a clean area so I am wondering if the change in weather can be causing his sneezing or if it is something more serious. Given his small size, I will call the vet before my own appointment tomorrow to see if I can get him seen by the vet and have his little lungs checked before the weekend.

Please send me and Even some positive vibes.

Last edited:
On Monday morning my spouse told me he heard Evan sneeze that morning and the night before. I did not hear it on Monday or Tuesday and Evan's nose was very clean so I thought he may have just had some fur (he is shedding) or hay in his nose. Today around 5:30 pm, after the vet closed, I heard several loud sneezes followed by a few more minutes later. His nose was wet after he sneezed, no crusting or discharge. Now, 7:30pm, I just heard him making three or four more loud sneezes. Earlier he eagerly ate his dandelion greens. In my opinion his sneezes are quite big for a bunny who does not even weigh two pounds. He is a sitting bunny (unlike his brother Dash) so now I am worried about my sweet boy. He is inside in a clean area so I am wondering if the change in weather can be causing his sneezing or if it is something more serious. Given his small size, I will call the vet before my own appointment tomorrow to see if I can get him seen by the vet and have his little lungs checked before the weekend.

Oh bless him, I do hope that the sneezing is not indicative of a RTI. Is Evan a Dental Bunny ? If so then the sneezing might be Dental related as opposed to being primarily an infection.

Sending lots of vibes and I also hope your appointment goes well xx

You really don't need any more medical problems to deal with ..

Sending loads of vibes for Evan x

Thank you RU friends,

Evan was seen by the vet yesterday afternoon. Of course he did not sneeze at all once he was put in his carrier, in the car, at the vets waiting room, or in the exam room. Even so, Evan still had enough wetness on his nose for the vet to get a sample. Vet gave him a good check, including lungs, face, teeth (as best as he could conscious). After examining the sample from his nose vet said not infection, lungs clear, teeth seemed good. Vet said allergy to something (I do not know what is causing it because he has same hay and bedding). He came home and started to sneeze every couple hours again. All bedding was removed and he now has newspapers. This morning I opened a new package of hay and he is still sneezing several times (now it is 5 or 6 times in a row instead of 3). He and his brother do not get pelleted food, mostly due to his brother Dash's digestive issue; so I do not know what I will feed him if he is having an issue with hay. I do have some other types of hay which I can try instead of the timothy he has received for the past two years.

I’m glad it isn’t an infection. I hope you can find the cause of the allergy and offer an alternative if it is the hay xx

this sounds very silly, but I have heard of some rabbits getting a hay seed or something up their nose. often they need surgery to get it out. then again, odd that he didn't sneeze in the carrier :( maybe x-rays migjt be the next step?

sending good vibes x

I’m glad it isn’t an infection. I hope you can find the cause of the allergy and offer an alternative if it is the hay xx

Thank you. Tonight I opened another new package of timothy hay and he is still sneezing. I also moved him a bit further from his brother. Tomorrow I may move him to another room with only some water and dandelions and see if he still sneezes.

this sounds very silly, but I have heard of some rabbits getting a hay seed or something up their nose. often they need surgery to get it out. then again, odd that he didn't sneeze in the carrier :( maybe x-rays migjt be the next step?

sending good vibes x

Thank you. This is not silly. Sometimes hay can have some powdery bits (I throw out what I see). The vet mentioned he may have something in his nose too (it is an extremely small nostril, even for a bunny who weighs 1.67 lbs. I noticed that he is sneezing more times in a row and more frequently which makes me wonder why. He did not have this issue until the weather changed and the heat went on so I wonder if that is connected. My furnace was replaced late last winter and I even got a better filter for my own allergies.

Thank you. Tonight I opened another new package of timothy hay and he is still sneezing. I also moved him a bit further from his brother. Tomorrow I may move him to another room with only some water and dandelions and see if he still sneezes.

Is the atmosphere quite dry in the house ? Central heating can cause this. If so using a humidifier may help. Dry atmospheres can irritate the airways of some Rabbits x

Is the atmosphere quite dry in the house ? Central heating can cause this. If so using a humidifier may help. Dry atmospheres can irritate the airways of some Rabbits x[/QUOTE

Hi Jane,

This is a good thought. Since I had a whole house humidifier and a heap filter installed when I had to change my furnace in March; I turned up the humidity to see if it may help.

Is the atmosphere quite dry in the house ? Central heating can cause this. If so using a humidifier may help. Dry atmospheres can irritate the airways of some Rabbits x[/QUOTE

Hi Jane,

This is a good thought. Since I had a whole house humidifier and a heap filter installed when I had to change my furnace in March; I turned up the humidity to see if it may help.

Fingers crossed that it will xx

Thank you RU friends,

Evan was seen by the vet yesterday afternoon. Of course he did not sneeze at all once he was put in his carrier, in the car, at the vets waiting room, or in the exam room. Even so, Evan still had enough wetness on his nose for the vet to get a sample. Vet gave him a good check, including lungs, face, teeth (as best as he could conscious). After examining the sample from his nose vet said not infection, lungs clear, teeth seemed good. Vet said allergy to something (I do not know what is causing it because he has same hay and bedding). He came home and started to sneeze every couple hours again. All bedding was removed and he now has newspapers. This morning I opened a new package of hay and he is still sneezing several times (now it is 5 or 6 times in a row instead of 3). He and his brother do not get pelleted food, mostly due to his brother Dash's digestive issue; so I do not know what I will feed him if he is having an issue with hay. I do have some other types of hay which I can try instead of the timothy he has received for the past two years.

It's really difficult to pinpoint these things. It happened randomly to one of mine recently too. Very mysterious!

I am glad it's not infection. I have used an air filter in the past for these sort of things.

Good luck and continued vibes for Evan x

It's really difficult to pinpoint these things. It happened randomly to one of mine recently too. Very mysterious!

I am glad it's not infection. I have used an air filter in the past for these sort of things.

Good luck and continued vibes for Evan x

When I had a HEPA filter installed on my new furnace, I donated the room air filter I used for myself and my late CX (who I nicknamed kachoo) in the past.

Around 5PM my nephew and sister came over to help me with some chores I cannot do because of my recent surgery. My sister and I worked together to move Evan and Dash to the next room and then we dusted and vacuumed both rooms to remove any allergens. I was feeling better when I was not hearing Evan sneeze. At 10pm I gave Evan and Dash fresh water some dandelions to eat until I could get back to them to clean their litter boxes. Both of them went for the greens and were active. I rested longer than I wanted and got up at 1AM to check on the boys and clean their litter boxes. Dash was jumping around, Evan kept laying down with his feet stretched behind him. I got out fresh hay and more dandelions and Dash dug right in. Evan was not wanting to eat more dandelions or the fresh hay. Now I am wondering if he has a tummy issue again. We went through so much with him in January with a severe case of stasis so I don't want to take a chance. I gave him one dose of motility meds as a precaution and will monitor him overnight.

Is moving him to another room the cause of his upset? You don't over-feed Dandelions do you as they are high in Calcium I believe. I hope he feels more like eating today - he is obviously a very sensitive bunny.

Back