• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Playmate.

slob1231

Warren Scout
I know alot of you on here have said about not getting a playmate until your rabbit is neutered, is this like a rule? I mean i want to get coco a playmate i feel like he needs one haha.

Look at this daredevil today chewing my cardigan
496dc173976263e51b036188f33c5974.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

its not really a rule, but there are a few reasons as to why its recommended.

buns tend to do best in opposite sex pairs. if you had opposite sex pairs and they both aren't neutered, that would result in pregnancy. now, same sex pairs can work, but usually there is a lot more aggression/fighting in the bonding process, and there has people say that they're more likely to fall out or fight as a pair. generally, differing sex just seems to work better.

along with that, when they aren't neutered they're full of hormones. unneutered does and bucks are much more likely to be territorial making the bonding process a lot harder, or making fallouts happen among the pair. they're also likely to be more aggressive, sparking in fights in a bonded pair too. its generally harder to bond unneutered rabbits together, and you have a risk of falling out.

you also need to considered the neutering process, they should go together to the vet so that their bond does not break. however the entire process can put strain on their relationship, and I've heard of some falling out due to them smelling funny or just the general atmosphere (or perhaps the vets didn't keep them together, its impossible to know). the stress of a new bond and the vets could be too much also.

bucks can be neutered as soon as their balls drop, which shouldn't be too long, usually under 6 months.

theres a lot of variables and its a lot harder to bond unneutered rabbits, even to one that is neutered themselves. the unneutered rabbit is like to be more aggressive, and territorial to the neutered rabbit.

its just plenty easier to wait IMHO :) he will be fine until then I would say.

its not really a rule, but there are a few reasons as to why its recommended.

buns tend to do best in opposite sex pairs. if you had opposite sex pairs and they both aren't neutered, that would result in pregnancy. now, same sex pairs can work, but usually there is a lot more aggression/fighting in the bonding process, and there has people say that they're more likely to fall out or fight as a pair. generally, differing sex just seems to work better.

along with that, when they aren't neutered they're full of hormones. unneutered does and bucks are much more likely to be territorial making the bonding process a lot harder, or making fallouts happen among the pair. they're also likely to be more aggressive, sparking in fights in a bonded pair too. its generally harder to bond unneutered rabbits together, and you have a risk of falling out.

you also need to considered the neutering process, they should go together to the vet so that their bond does not break. however the entire process can put strain on their relationship, and I've heard of some falling out due to them smelling funny or just the general atmosphere (or perhaps the vets didn't keep them together, its impossible to know). the stress of a new bond and the vets could be too much also.

bucks can be neutered as soon as their balls drop, which shouldn't be too long, usually under 6 months.

theres a lot of variables and its a lot harder to bond unneutered rabbits, even to one that is neutered themselves. the unneutered rabbit is like to be more aggressive, and territorial to the neutered rabbit.

its just plenty easier to wait IMHO :) he will be fine until then I would say.
Ok thank you. I'm taking him to the vets Tomorrow so hopefully we can book him in to be neuterd i wouldn't wanna do anything that makes rabbits turn against eachother etc so i will wait until he's neuterd.

I agree with Binky Codie :thumb: If you go to a rescue then they will more than likely have several possible matches who will already be vaccinated and neutered/spayed :thumb:

I agree with Binky Codie :thumb: If you go to a rescue then they will more than likely have several possible matches who will already be vaccinated and neutered/spayed :thumb:
I will be cheers.

Coco certainly is a real character - full of life and clearly loves exploring - and also thriving from the love and attention you are giving him. It is great that he feels part of your family and important for him to feel accepted. BinkyCodie's advice is absolutely bang on. It isn't a rule as such, to have rabbits paired, but they are sociable animals and rely on a clan or group for support, protection and general wellbeing. That's not to say solo rabbits don't thrive. Im sure that some do in certain situations, but we always advocate that as much as possible, rabbits need a companion and these ideally would be a mixed pair. They bond better and especially after being neutered/castrated.
You are clearly doing all the right things - this is a journey for all of you and in some ways a learning curve but that's why everyone is here on the forum and it is wonderful that you are posting and showing such wonderful photos of a beautiful rabbit in Coco.
Sending vibes to you and Coco for the vet trip tomorrow and hope that the vet can offer some advice re castration for Coco. And I'm looking forward to following the adventures of this wonderful bun.

Coco certainly is a real character - full of life and clearly loves exploring - and also thriving from the love and attention you are giving him. It is great that he feels part of your family and important for him to feel accepted. BinkyCodie's advice is absolutely bang on. It isn't a rule as such, to have rabbits paired, but they are sociable animals and rely on a clan or group for support, protection and general wellbeing. That's not to say solo rabbits don't thrive. Im sure that some do in certain situations, but we always advocate that as much as possible, rabbits need a companion and these ideally would be a mixed pair. They bond better and especially after being neutered/castrated.
You are clearly doing all the right things - this is a journey for all of you and in some ways a learning curve but that's why everyone is here on the forum and it is wonderful that you are posting and showing such wonderful photos of a beautiful rabbit in Coco.
Sending vibes to you and Coco for the vet trip tomorrow and hope that the vet can offer some advice re castration for Coco. And I'm looking forward to following the adventures of this wonderful bun.

Thank you!
i am happy with everyone's advice on here and this is the first place i come too.

Coco is amazing we love him and totally accept him into our family! He is so loving loves putting his head under my chin and having a stroke on his cheek back & head! He's such a character and special little boy. I will wait until he is neuterd will update on vets! Loves his blanket!
da77c4dfd3d6158d00709646d5b4d604.jpg

Back