• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daisy Boo and Shannon

Just to let you know, on Tuesday of this week Goldie <dogpages forums> and I rescued 2 rabbits.

James and I went to her house in Deepcut to come up with a "plan" to make sure these rabbits would be safe.

In the end we walked around the "house in question" to check out the situation.

It became clear to me that the rabbits needed to leave that night. There was already a dead rabbit found in the hutch the day before.

Rather than take the law into our own hands we took the view that the owner quite clearly didn't care about them anyway so asking her for them wouldn't hurt. If she told us to bog off, well ...

We rang the bell.

We apologised for the intrusion, and asked about the rabbits.

OWNER "oh yeah... the rspca was around a few days ago"
"they can't take them for a few weeks."

HGL "I have room in my "rescue " for them and if the RSPCA are full they will only phone the rescues anyway. Shall I take them tonight?"

OWNER "I don't care. I'm moving to a flat next week anyway."

I didn't want to ask what she was going to do with them if the RSPCA didn't collect them before she left.

Anyway, Daisy Boo and Shannon are now safe.

When we opened the hutches I almost gagged. They reeked.
There was no water, no food, and and no bedding. The hutches were exposed to rain and wind for months until the rspca visit last week. They put a tarp on them and the neighbour told me it hadn't been lifted for days...
These rabbits feel like little skeletons in a bag of skin. Their nails were all growing out sideways. Their glands filled with black filth.
The only "blessing" is that neither were wounded. They were kept in 2 different hutches and could not fight over food the rare times it was available.

I think Daisy Boo is blind. She stands still and sways her chin from shoulder to shoulder. Constantly scanning. She can't see a hand making a flick movement at her face but can smell you are there,

At some point when they are healthy, spayed, jabbed and well balanced, I will be looking to re-home them.

I will post a new note for each of the girls when they are more photogenic and can describe their personalities after I get to know them better.

If anyone is interested in advance let me know.

The worst thing is that I can tell these rabbits were loved once. They are ever so tame and sweet. A military woman was called to another base overseas and had to leave her beloved buns with a neighbour. She didn't know if she would be back or posted in Germany for years. The neighbour said yes she'd take them and proceeded to starve them.

These girls just want a nice mummy again.

<edited for spelling>

OMG :cry: .... Well done on the bunny rescue, so glad you were able to get them, I'm sure now that they are in your capable care they will come on in leaps and bounds :thumb: . I take my hat off to you, I'm not sure I could have kept my cool with that woman :x. Please keep us posted on their progress.

Well done for saving these two! :D the blind one will need some extra TLC but there are plenty of people (most of them on here!) willing to give it.
One of my buns, Thistle, has very little sight. I went to the RSPCA with a friend pick a rabbit for her.We stopped to look at this lop eared bun with one blue and one black eye and an RSPCA assistant said "you dont want that one she horrid".I was shocked and asked why? She said "she scratches and bites,no one ought to have her". I went straight to the office and asked to reserve her and when they got the card with her details on it had EVIL in red marker written on it!
I collected her a few days later and named her Thistle and when I got her home realised she could hardly see..like your rescue bun she scans. Needless to say she isn't evil,she was just frightened. She doesn't like being picked up but loves lots of attention and has never bitten anyone. I lost faith in the RSPCA after that :(

Very well done on saving these poor little mites :( How evil people can be :evil: It's beyone me :cry:
Thank you for giving them a chance at proper life - I know that they will be well looked after and cared for. If I can help in any way, especially with the one who may be blind then please let me know - I would offer her a home, you know that.
If they are thin and have not been fed properly then once they are a bit more settled I would advise having blood tests done on them - there is a particular one that shows up any muscle damage - our wonderful Biccy had been mistreated and used as a football :evil: He couldn't walk or anything at first but came on really well - we then lost him to this illness to do with the muscle wastage or something - it was already with him due to such neglect and nothing could have been done for him. He got 4 months of life with us and I hope that he packed everything into it.
I really hope that these two can have a happy life - give them gentle cuddles from me please.
Again, if I can help I will.

Well done for getting them out of that nightmare of a home. I bet the previous owner who adored them would be mortified to know what has happened :(

I hope they recover quickly so they can go on to have a loving and happy life after such a horrible ordeal

Andrea, well done for being so clever in the way you dealt with that awful woman. It is so difficult to keep your cool in such situations, but so necessary in order to get bunnies released. I despare of the mentality of some people. They must live such joyless existances to be able to abuse these innocent creatures and obviously feel no remorse.
I am sure they will go from strength to strength now they are in your lovely home. Looking forward to seeing the piccies when they are recovered and have eaten you out of house and home.
Are you sure you wouldn't like to join the rest of us nutters and become an official rescuer :roll: :wink: .

Oh those poor poor bunnies :( Thank god you got them out when you did.
Well done!
let us know how they get on.

awwwwwwwwwwwwww :(

Well done Andrea :D saving the bunnykins!!

Keep us posted on thier progress :wink: :wink: :wink:

Oh Andrea, that is just awful :(
Why on earth does such cruelty exist?! these people need a dose of their own medicine! :evil: Since becoming a member of RU, I have had my eyes opened up to so many cases of cruelty, that I couldn't imagine possible... it brings tears to my eyes just reading such stories.
I am really disgusted to read that the RSPCA did not remove those rabbits from the premises immediately. A few more weeks with her, and they could have been DEAD! Even if they were full, to me it's a cruelty case of the severest form, and something better should have been done! I am sure their former owner would be heartbroken to discover what this evil woman has done to her buns.
You are an angel saving those poor girls. I really do hope you manage to restore their health to a more satisfactory condition. It's going to take time, but let's hope they respond well.
All the best with them and keep us posted on their progress. Bless 'em.

It's all worth while...

Daisy Boo did the BIGGEST binky in the world, this morning, while running free in the back garden. I laughed out loud. I guess that's the human equivalent of a binky!
So easily pleased... why doesn't everyone love them like we do?

I was SOOOOOOOOOO chuffed :D

Aww Andrea, I am sure that that big binky was Daisy Boo's way of saying thank you. What a joy to see, it's better than a win on the lottery :D .

Aww, I'm glad they are feeling better, I hope they continue to improve with all the tlc I'm sure your providing :D

What would be good is if you could take a pic of them now (no need to post it if you think it would upset people) and then you could keep a photo diary, I for one would find it interesting to see how long it takes them to recover to full health and the pictures could be useful not just for charting their progress but also to keep a record of how they used to look as a memory aid as I am sure they will be looking so good in no time with all your attention that people won't believe what happened to them!

Caz

Well done Andria - it never ceases to amaze how folks treat animals - I just think what goes around comes around but at least they are now safe with you and can start recovery -

And a Binky this morning eh! - how forgiving are bunnies - obviously so glad of a bit of love and security.

Well done you.

Well done HGL - those poor buns, at least they have the chance of a happy life now. The poor original owner, she must have trusted those awful people to look after them and look what happened!

Well done HGL :D I hope they are happy bunnykins now and are recovering well. How are they?

I bet you end up keeping them :wink: They would be very lucky buns then.

Let us know their progress!!

poor buns

:evil: Nasty People!! how can you treat a living creature like that!! its awful!! Well done on rescuing them just in the nick of time as well it seems!! I got one of my rabbits given to me by a pet shop once 7 years ago she was kept by herself away from her brothers and sisters as she was getting bullied by them, she was a good few months old by then no one wanted her as she was the albino of the litter, they said she wasnt a very nice rabbit, when i got her home i realised she had a massive cist on her back this being the reason why she didnt like being picked up she was miserable!! :( once she had that removed she was fine she also scanned like your poor bun does. Sadley she died last year.

At least now they never have to worry when their next feed in coming

Well done again

Back