• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teething or something else?

slob1231

Warren Scout
Hey guys me again!

So, i am being a bit naughty today! I keep chewing everything, i even tried chewing my hoomans sofa [emoji849] this isn't a regular thing i promise. I'm normally such a good boy! My hooman has bought me new toys, i have lots of hay and my food, and my hooman even bought me some wood sticks today, which I'll only chew if it gets put in my way to distract me from chewing anything else! Is it my teeth or something else?

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

You're the bunny - you tell us:lol: Its imperative you chew as those pesky teeth grow at a shocking rate . The important thing is you are also chewing hay & greens. Your carers might like to get you some safe tree branches (apple is good at this time of year) so you're chewing the right stuff. Somw bunnies chew destructively, others don't. Some of this is personality (& we all know what a bunny on a mission is like. None of my trio are chewers of our stuff & I think this is because I got in to foraging so there is an abundance of natural stuff they'd prefer. Many bunnies are a bit "meh" about toys

You're the bunny - you tell us[emoji38] Its imperative you chew as those pesky teeth grow at a shocking rate . The important thing is you are also chewing hay & greens. Your carers might like to get you some safe tree branches (apple is good at this time of year) so you're chewing the right stuff. Somw bunnies chew destructively, others don't. Some of this is personality (& we all know what a bunny on a mission is like. None of my trio are chewers of our stuff & I think this is because I got in to foraging so there is an abundance of natural stuff they'd prefer. Many bunnies are a bit "meh" about toys

Haha, wasn't very ideal for me to type that in bunny version!

So i bought him some of the sticks today for his teeth, he has plenty of hay (sometimes prefers to eat the straw[emoji849]) he also has plenty of greens/veg/fruit he never normally chews anything in the house, sometimes he may chew the wall or the curtain cos he tries to move it but today he's at everything! Maybe he's just going through a phrase, the toys I've bought him are wooden for him to chew also he's not interested in toys though. Haha! Maybe he'll calm down again soon! Thanks for your reply!

Actually, there's plenty of us who do type in bunny version. That's part of the joy and delight of this forum. When you have time, flick through some of the threads and you'll see what I mean - especially the RWSA thread. I catch your drift with what you were saying and Joey&Boo (an excellent and knowledgable person indeed) is bang on with the advice. Bunnys teeth constantly grow as they only have the one set, so they have to keep chewing to wear the teeth down. For us hoomans, that's a whole world of problems and most of us have the furniture scars to prove it. I've had computer leads, electrical leads and chunks of the wall here all 'rabbitised' and showing the scars. It's important that you try to give them plenty of stimulation - toys, wooden chewy things and so on. Cardbord boxes are decent to use - you can make little hiding places, cut spaces in them and so on. There's plenty of sites that sell a variety of toys and safe chewable things. It's just natural behaviour but it can appear destructive. Most of the time it's not deliberate - but your bun does have a character and bunnies can 'go on a mission' if they are annoyed. Body language is key. Hope this helps and good luck with getting some chew sticks. Things may ease once you have sorted out the castration and further down the line if you hopefully find a wife bun. My two aren't generally destructive but Henry is a wall chewer and will munch on things if they are in his way.

Actually, there's plenty of us who do type in bunny version. That's part of the joy and delight of this forum. When you have time, flick through some of the threads and you'll see what I mean - especially the RWSA thread. I catch your drift with what you were saying and Joey&Boo (an excellent and knowledgable person indeed) is bang on with the advice. Bunnys teeth constantly grow as they only have the one set, so they have to keep chewing to wear the teeth down. For us hoomans, that's a whole world of problems and most of us have the furniture scars to prove it. I've had computer leads, electrical leads and chunks of the wall here all 'rabbitised' and showing the scars. It's important that you try to give them plenty of stimulation - toys, wooden chewy things and so on. Cardbord boxes are decent to use - you can make little hiding places, cut spaces in them and so on. There's plenty of sites that sell a variety of toys and safe chewable things. It's just natural behaviour but it can appear destructive. Most of the time it's not deliberate - but your bun does have a character and bunnies can 'go on a mission' if they are annoyed. Body language is key. Hope this helps and good luck with getting some chew sticks. Things may ease once you have sorted out the castration and further down the line if you hopefully find a wife bun. My two aren't generally destructive but Henry is a wall chewer and will munch on things if they are in his way.
Everyone on here gives great advice and i am taking everything on board! Coco has a wonderful personality and sometimes he can get a little too excited lol. I agree that once he's been neutered and has a wife bun then he may settle down, he's my baby and a wonderful part of our family and we cannot wait to bring a new bun into our family! We do him cardboard boxes, lots of toys, chew things. He used to chew a certain part of our wall til we blocked it off & wires have been scarred previously when we first brought him home lol. He loves to rub his chin on everything! I appreciate any advice that i am given so thank you everyone!

Ah - rubbing his chin. That's just his way of saying "Mine". Rabbits have scent glands under their chin and rubbing their chin on things is (back in the wild) their way of territory marking. It's also his way of finding his way around, remembering things. Quite harmless but very cute.

Ah - rubbing his chin. That's just his way of saying "Mine". Rabbits have scent glands under their chin and rubbing their chin on things is (back in the wild) their way of territory marking. It's also his way of finding his way around, remembering things. Quite harmless but very cute.
I know, i read that somewhere but it is adorable he does it to everything and always the same things repeatedly lol.

I concur. Chinning is adorable - & the things they lay claim to, such as my stinky hooves :lol:

I, myself am a constant danger. I like to "taste test" everything in sight. My hoomans have to be super vigilant with me in the lounge as I am partial to naughty nom. They provide, in fact shower me with pine and willow toys I can tear apart but still I feel I must have a little taste in everything. Even more troubling, I like to swallow and digest stuff. Damn it feels good to be a gangster.

Dennis x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Haven't read all the posts but my rabbits never liked the chew stick thingies. What they did love, however, was to chew/eat apple prunings (which I used to buy from here in aid of Honeybunnies) my contorted hazel prunings, and those little willow balls which are good to chuck around or chew on. (And, of course, masses of hay.)

I, myself am a constant danger. I like to "taste test" everything in sight. My hoomans have to be super vigilant with me in the lounge as I am partial to naughty nom. They provide, in fact shower me with pine and willow toys I can tear apart but still I feel I must have a little taste in everything. Even more troubling, I like to swallow and digest stuff. Damn it feels good to be a gangster.

Dennis x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

It does feel good to be a gangster doesn't it!

Haven't read all the posts but my rabbits never liked the chew stick thingies. What they did love, however, was to chew/eat apple prunings (which I used to buy from here in aid of Honeybunnies) my contorted hazel prunings, and those little willow balls which are good to chuck around or chew on. (And, of course, masses of hay.)
Coco loves the chew stick things! I use them to divert his attention from chewing something he shouldn't be, has a good nibble then hops away!

Back