• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New, and need help!

slob1231

Warren Scout
Hi everyone.
Soo, I'm new & totally new to this whole bunny world!! I have a beautiful boy "Coco!" He is a real joy to our family, he's now 4 months old i got him at 8 weeks!
He's like my little shadow always running circles around my feet, lays by me and recently he lets me cuddle him when giving my arm a nudge up lol. He's very energetic but loves a chill! He's a house rabbit, anyway... I'm worried about what type of breed he is, i will be taking him to the vets as i want to get him neutered but he's a bit young yet.

So i'll attach a picture from google and one i took, any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
ca4d2e8ea7113a8a8e482dbd5c26d9b9.jpg
1b437f0e3b5afc03a3eeb87aceb414e6.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

He is gorgeous :love: how big is he? How much does he weigh at the moment? He looks like he’s quite a large rabbit. Depending on size, a rabbit savvy vet would normally be quite happy to neuter a boy as soon as their testicles have dropped. They usually want to wait longer with a giant breed.

He is gorgeous :love: how big is he? How much does he weigh at the moment? He looks like he’s quite a large rabbit. Depending on size, a rabbit savvy vet would normally be quite happy to neuter a boy as soon as their testicles have dropped. They usually want to wait longer with a giant breed.

Thank you he is stunning. I'm currently unsure how much he weighs at the moment but he is quite a big boy. I'm going to make an appointment for the vets so they can give him a check up & weigh him etc and they can tell me when they can neuter him. I'm desperate to know his breed, so maybe they will help with that too!
afd57ed644e8b6b665ede05642593ae6.jpg

Hi everyone.
Soo, I'm new & totally new to this whole bunny world!! I have a beautiful boy "Coco!" He is a real joy to our family, he's now 4 months old i got him at 8 weeks!
He's like my little shadow always running circles around my feet, lays by me and recently he lets me cuddle him when giving my arm a nudge up lol. He's very energetic but loves a chill! He's a house rabbit, anyway... I'm worried about what type of breed he is, i will be taking him to the vets as i want to get him neutered but he's a bit young yet.

So i'll attach a picture from google and one i took, any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
ca4d2e8ea7113a8a8e482dbd5c26d9b9.jpg
1b437f0e3b5afc03a3eeb87aceb414e6.jpg

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Is he vaccinated?

I ask because there's a virulent strain of RHD2 going around at the moment.
I am documenting cases and it's just awful to hear of the rabbits dying of confirmed and suspected cases:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?471653-RHD2-More-Cases-(-Update-October-2018

It's called Filavac and provides protection from RHD1 and RHD2 (VHD1 and VHD2).

He will also need the Novibac/Myxo that provides cover for myxomatosis (and also VHD1).

These vaccinations can be given a couple of weeks apart :)

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Is he vaccinated?

I ask because there's a virulent strain of RHD2 going around at the moment.
I am documenting cases and it's just awful to hear of the rabbits dying of confirmed and suspected cases:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?471653-RHD2-More-Cases-(-Update-October-2018

It's called Filavac and provides protection from RHD1 and RHD2 (VHD1 and VHD2).

He will also need the Novibac/Myxo that provides cover for myxomatosis (and also VHD1).

These vaccinations can be given a couple of weeks apart :)
I bought him off somebody else and apparently he hasn't taken him for his injections but believe me i am going to take my boy [emoji170][emoji170] i will be making an appointment tomorrow!

I bought him off somebody else and apparently he hasn't taken him for his injections but believe me i am going to take my boy [emoji170][emoji170] i will be making an appointment tomorrow!

Yay!

He sounds totally well-loved already :)

And I love black rabbits - they are so handsome :)

Yay!

He sounds totally well-loved already :)

And I love black rabbits - they are so handsome :)
He is very much loved! I have made him an appointment for next Tuesday where he will have his jab & then we will discuss neutering him. The woman on the phone said they only have one? Not sure how true that is mind!

Welcome. Your bunny looks like a Giant - Continental, maybe. He will need 2 vaccines. one for RHD2 and one which covers Myxo and RHD1. It's the RHD2 which is killing a lot of bunnies at the moment so the sooner you can get him covered for that one the better. You can make anew thread if you want asking for a Rabbit Savvy Vet and state where you are. Some Vets are not clued up about rabbits sadly so be careful. Hope you have many years of love and happiness with your boy.

Welcome. Your bunny looks like a Giant - Continental, maybe. He will need 2 vaccines. one for RHD2 and one which covers Myxo and RHD1. It's the RHD2 which is killing a lot of bunnies at the moment so the sooner you can get him covered for that one the better. You can make anew thread if you want asking for a Rabbit Savvy Vet and state where you are. Some Vets are not clued up about rabbits sadly so be careful. Hope you have many years of love and happiness with your boy.

I only spoke to the receptionist who didn't seem to know much [emoji849] so hopefully they will give him both injections. Thank you for the welcome!

He is very much loved! I have made him an appointment for next Tuesday where he will have his jab & then we will discuss neutering him. The woman on the phone said they only have one? Not sure how true that is mind!

Speak to the vet :)

Receptionists aren't always up to date with recent information, even in 'savvy' vets!

If I were you I would have the Filavac RHD2 first, as that seems to be killing most rabbits.

Ask in advance that someone check with the vet that they have it in stock before you turn up.
You can discuss neutering at the same time :)

Hi and welcome also. I can't add much by way of advice- the previous reply posts are by exceptionally knowledgeable kind people on the forum and cover all you need to know. I'd suggest the vaccines are your priority and the sooner the better really.
As for the breed- I can only add that Coco is gorgeous and looks a big boy. And also looks very at home in the house.
Good luck with the vaccines and I'm looking forward to following Cocos adventures.

Hi and welcome also. I can't add much by way of advice- the previous reply posts are by exceptionally knowledgeable kind people on the forum and cover all you need to know. I'd suggest the vaccines are your priority and the sooner the better really.
As for the breed- I can only add that Coco is gorgeous and looks a big boy. And also looks very at home in the house.
Good luck with the vaccines and I'm looking forward to following Cocos adventures.

Thank you for the welcome. Of course his vaccines are the most important thing at the moment, vets is already booked for him for Tuesday [emoji4]
Thank you, he is very at home in the house. Thinks he runs the place haha, he is beautiful. Thank you! I will be sure to post Coco's updates.

Thanks again!

Thank you for the welcome. Of course his vaccines are the most important thing at the moment, vets is already booked for him for Tuesday [emoji4]
Thank you, he is very at home in the house. Thinks he runs the place haha, he is beautiful. Thank you! I will be sure to post Coco's updates.

Thanks again!

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

I'm not sure on his breed, he's a beauty though :love:

We recently acquired a new boy and prioritised the Rhd2, over the Myxi/Rhd1 jab, as mentioned up thread x

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

I'm not sure on his breed, he's a beauty though :love:

We recently acquired a new boy and prioritised the Rhd2, over the Myxi/Rhd1 jab, as mentioned up thread x

Thank you [emoji170] yes i will talk to the vet x

Back