• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blood glucose results

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
I need to know what the implications of a glucose blood result of 16 are now. I can't remember what good, bad, normal, emergency are. Rupert is not eating so we tested his bloods and I can't find the significance of a high result. Panic!

I need to know what the implications of a glucose blood result of 16 are now. I can't remember what good, bad, normal, emergency are. Rupert is not eating so we tested his bloods and I can't find the significance of a high result. Panic!

Perhaps this might help ...

Taken from Lecture Notes emailed to me by Frances Harcourt Brown

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre)

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

Also:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...e_of_blood_glucose_measurement_in_pet_rabbits

Also ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22659922

The conclusion of the study was that blood glucose is a measurable parameter that can be used to assess the severity of a rabbit's condition and help to differentiate between gut stasis and intestinal obstruction in rabbits that are anorexic.

More here:

https://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/170/26/674

Please be aware though, that a high blood glucose reading doesn't necessarily mean a blockage.

The physical examination of your rabbit by a savvy vet is what's important alongside these results to get a more accurate interpretation.

In other words, don't panic!

Are you OK?

Last edited:
Gosh, sorry - I forgot to update!
All's well that ends. The dip stick thing I bought for blood sugar at Boots had Rupert's blood as 30+ and his tum was solid like a drum so big panic and off to the vets. The 20 min drive must have shaken something lose because by the time I got there his tum was fairly soft, his bloods were 12 and the vet could hear some gurgling but not much. A few days of metacam and metoclopramide and Rupert seems back to normal - he's out munching grass. Can't stand the stress - I really thought he was a goner. Thank you a lot for your help Mighty Max.

Gosh, sorry - I forgot to update!
All's well that ends. The dip stick thing I bought for blood sugar at Boots had Rupert's blood as 30+ and his tum was solid like a drum so big panic and off to the vets. The 20 min drive must have shaken something lose because by the time I got there his tum was fairly soft, his bloods were 12 and the vet could hear some gurgling but not much. A few days of metacam and metoclopramide and Rupert seems back to normal - he's out munching grass. Can't stand the stress - I really thought he was a goner. Thank you a lot for your help Mighty Max.

You're so welcome - any time :)

Oh poor you, what stress!
So glad to hear that all is well!

Back