• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Billies turn now!

Mogs

Young Bun
Billie my female French Lop is being spayed today and I will also be watching the clock.

Any tips on after care as It's been years since I've had a female to care for and I know it is a bigger deal than having males done

Fingers crossed

Maureen

Fingers and paws crossed this end, I'm sure she'll be fine Bluebell is due to go in shortly, she was 6 months old yesterday.

Awww poor girlie. She'll be fine and home soon. Advise wise, have a snuggle pad or 2 in a french lops case ready or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel ready for her coming home as this helps them feel a little better. Have a selection of her fav foods just incase she won't eat and if she does treat her anyway :D I always remove any shavings or bedding similar to that and give them a towel or vet bed for a few days just to make sure they don't get anythign stuck there. Generally just keep an eye on her and make sures shes not in pain.
Its such a worry having girls spayed but it will be over after 2 -3 days and she will be back to normal while your thinking uh why did i worry :lol:

Angela

Thanks Angela,

The heat pad came in the post 2 days ago so I'm ok there, I also got her a nice soft large cushion for her indoor cage - it will fill it . One of those they use for cat beds but stronger - bunny proof I hope.

I will make sure to ask loads of questions when I pick her up

30 min to go before I can phone

Maureen
l

It now turns out that Billie is now Billy (a boy) :lol: :lol:

This has always been a bit of a joke between me and the vet, it appear the testicals were still up and would not have dropped so good job I took her/him to be done early.

The funny thing is I wanted a boy but when I took him to have his jabs we both looked and we agreed it was a girl!!!

Such is life - anyway he is fine

Maureenl

Yes HE's fine, the vet will take a long time to live this one down - in fact I seem to remember there was a mention of ' eat my hat' :lol: :lol:

It was still quite a big operation as they had to remove the testicals from inside as they would never have dropped.

Still I have a lovely little boy and I did say to my work colleague that it would be funny if when they went to operate that they found out it was a boy - that was this morning!!

Maureen

Awww bless him, he's gonna be sore for a wee while then =/ Please give him a cuddle from me.
My two need booking in sometime within the next few weeks, they're gonna love me.... NOT!

Hmmm vets eh? I remember taking one of my fancy rats to a vet because she had a huge lump on her neck. The vet examined it and declared that her days were numbered as he believed it was cancer. Two days late it had gone and all that was left was a huge hole :shock: It turned out that it was an abscess and she went on to live to 33 months which is good for a rat. Infact she passed away this month :(
So... it just goes to show, vets can make mistakes!

I'm glad you are not upset by this "sex change" Mogs. Seems you tempted fate hehe :wink:

Glad everything went Ok today for Billy.
Not everybun can say they went in a girl and came out a boy :lol: :lol: bet the vet bill was a bit cheaper :?:

Thanks Everyone.

Actually when I first got Him (her) I thought it was a boy, it was only when I went for his first jab at 12 weeks I asked the vet to confirm and he said no a girl. I did want a boy a I hear they bond better with females.

The total bill for his op was nearly £100 because of the time it took to find his bits I guess !

I must say he is doing really well, back to the vets this evening for a check up and a good laugh

Maureen

Back