• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dennis has eaten newspaper

loobers25

Warren Veteran
This morning. The corner of one sheet lining the bottom of his enclosure. I'm worried because this piece had red colouring (block colouring) and I have read online this can cause a blockage. I also read online that rabbits that eat naughty things are looking for extra fibre, however I think Dennis has alot of acess to fibre? He has 6 willow toys and 6 branches (willow, hawthorn and apple branches.) His enclosure is also lined with timothy hay and meadow hay. And just had aa pile of timothy hay three times as big as him for breakfast.

I am worried about blockage/ink poisoning? ?

I just fed him some chicory root and made some parsley extra wet. He has also had forage mix with plantain, willow leaf and golden rod etc

He's definitely injested it too.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

This morning. The corner of one sheet lining the bottom of his enclosure. I'm worried because this piece had red colouring (block colouring) and I have read online this can cause a blockage. I also read online that rabbits that eat naughty things are looking for extra fibre, however I think Dennis has alot of acess to fibre? He has 6 willow toys and 6 branches (willow, hawthorn and apple branches.) His enclosure is also lined with timothy hay and meadow hay. And just had aa pile of timothy hay three times as big as him for breakfast.

I am worried about blockage/ink poisoning? ?

I just fed him some chicory root and made some parsley extra wet. He has also had forage mix with plantain, willow leaf and golden rod etc

He's definitely injested it too.

I think the issue with newspaper is more the print rather than causing a blockage, unless a massive amount has been eaten.

Both my rabbits nibble cardboard and ingest it on occasion and I don't think it's because they lack fibre. So whilst it CAN be why they are eating it, I don't think it's always the case.

I don't usually use newspaper, but did use it quite a lot when I attempted to bond Tethra with the Dutch quad. The quad definitely used to nibble the paper and of course it was printed.

I would not be too concerned about Dennis, although it's hard not to worry. Just obviously observe how he is during the day. The large amount of hay that he's had for breakfast will in my view push the bits of newspaper through quickly. Btw I don't think that red dye is necessarily any worse than black or any other colour. How much did he eat in total?

I think the issue with newspaper is more the print rather than causing a blockage, unless a massive amount has been eaten.

Both my rabbits nibble cardboard and ingest it on occasion and I don't think it's because they lack fibre. So whilst it CAN be why they are eating it, I don't think it's always the case.

I don't usually use newspaper, but did use it quite a lot when I attempted to bond Tethra with the Dutch quad. The quad definitely used to nibble the paper and of course it was printed.

I would not be too concerned about Dennis, although it's hard not to worry. Just obviously observe how he is during the day. The large amount of hay that he's had for breakfast will in my view push the bits of newspaper through quickly. Btw I don't think that red dye is necessarily any worse than black or any other colour. How much did he eat in total?
2cm x 1cm? Red block ink one side and black writing on the back

I think alot of newspaper is printed with soy ink now and that's meant to be ok.

I expect he was just trying to move it out if his way. Our buns eat weird stuff if it's supposedly in the way.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

My first bunny, Biscuit, shredded an entire piece of newspaper and polished it all off before we knew what he’d done once. He was absolutely fine (though we stopped letting him have access to the newspaper after that!)

Just keep an eye on him but I’m sure he will be fine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I wouldn't worry about a small piece like that. Reading online it seems that most newspapers use soyabean oil now rather than the petroleum oil.

So I think the chances of it causing a problem are extremely small. The percentage of ink in the piece compared to paper is also tiny.

I would be interested in the views of others on this.

That's a tiny bit, and most inks are now soy and not harmful.

Even if the ink were not soy, the tiny amount Dennis has eaten would cause me no worry at all :)

Oh my goodness hope Dennis is OK. Albie shreds every piece of newspaper I put into their litter trays and I’ve no idea if he ingests it or not but he’s never been poorly :)

Oh dear! "My" lovely Dennis can't get a blockage! I think we are all in agreement on this one. xx

I used to use a newspaper based cat litter in by bridge bun’s litter tray. I’m sure she used to have a nibble on it. She lived for another 5 years after I stopped using it. I’m sure Dennis will be fine, although he’s very naughty scaring you like that x

Agree with Omi and Tonibun. Firstly, vibes for Dennis - I hope that he is ok and nomms on some hay and fibre during the day - and I know you will be extra vigilant with him today.
Hillian have nommed on the occasional piece of newspaper but it's not often they do it. I don't usually give it much attention and they seem fine. And I use newspaper in their indoor hutch (that they use for their en suite toilet) and I've not had any issues. I completely understand the worry - it's perfectly normal to be worried. Just keep an eye on him and see how he behaves. And finally - what a naughty Dennis. No nommy treats for him tonight.

Oh, Dennis. :roll:

I echo the sentiment of the others. My (mum's) guinea pigs, Zeta and Eta, are notorious for eating paper. I try and persuade her to use alternate bedding but... Anyhow, Zeta and Eta are typically fine. Just keep an eye on him, encourage him to eat more suitable nommy things... You got this. xxx

Oh, Dennis. :roll:

I strongly suggest these probiotics and echo the sentiment of the others. My (mum's) guinea pigs, Zeta and Eta, are notorious for eating paper. I try and persuade her to use alternate bedding but... Anyhow, Zeta and Eta are typically fine. Just keep an eye on him, encourage him to eat more suitable nommy things... You got this. xxx

So glad to read that generally, the paper doesn't seem to do them any harm. I nearly panicked when I saw this thread as a new owner. haha

Last edited:
Thanks for the reassurance everybun. I've been keeping my hawky-hooman-eyes on him today.

I think Dennis should think about his behaviour and how his rock and roll life style effects his hooman companion.

I see Dennis is a gorgeous black lionhead. I've had lions since 1998, three as house buns, and they've all liked to gnaw and eat bits of paper. My harlequin Benji's speciality was jumping up onto the sofa as soon as I put my book down and biting off the corner of the front page. It doesn't matter how many toys I put out, these lions gravitate towards paper.

My current 7 yr old lionhead Stakki has his own copy of the book One Day and he's been steadily eating it for the past six years with no ill effects, so please don't worry about Dennis.

Back