• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sooo.... where do all the petshop rabbits come from.

mikek

Warren Veteran
Just wondering,
where do the rabbits that are for sale in petshops come from? Thinking mainly Pets At Home, just 'cos that's where i have seen them in the past :-( .
I suppose there are 'professional' breeders?

P.S. don't worry, i'm not thinking of getting into it. Quite the opposite.

Just wondering,
where do the rabbits that are for sale in petshops come from? Thinking mainly Pets At Home, just 'cos that's where i have seen them in the past :-( .

Allegedly PAH use a few large scale breeders. Sometimes the baby Rabbits can be transported vast distances to get from Breeder establishment to the various stores.

Allegedly the company make regular checks on the Breeder establishments

Allegedly they have strict welfare rules that the Breeding establishment must fulfil

I know for a fact that the company will take back any baby Rabbits born from an 'accidental mating' that occured as a result of the store mis-sexing baby Rabbits and selling someone a Buck and a Doe when they thought they were buying 2 Does

Allegedly the Breeding stock are RHD2 Vaccinated, the kits born and moved on to the stores are not

Small independent Pet Shops may get their 'stock' from anyone who happens to have some kits to 'get rid of'.

Just wondering,

thing is - who knows.

I know for the likes of hamsters, theres one big breeding plant up around scotland area, and that is where all the hamsters come from to be shipped all over the country to pets at home. or at least, thats what I was told by a former worker. I dread to think of the inbreeding that is happening.

smaller scale petshops may have rabbits from professional breeders, or yes unfortunately BYBs. my friend in america did ask a small scale pet shop if they would be interested in her kits to sell, but they already had a "supplier". its difficult as you have no idea where they come from.

the rabbits in P@H aren't one breed, they're mixed. I'd be surprised if they're siblings, I'm pretty sure they throw random ones in together. some are huge, others are tiny, some have lop ears, others have lion manes. I don't think you would get that variation from breeding two rabbits, maybe I am wrong.

but there isn't any regulation just like with designer mutts in dogs, often those are very poor health bc nobody health tests their parents and theres no regulation to stand up too, so who knows what you're getting. probably the same here, they just pump out rabbits on a huge scale for money, then the babies are all thrown in together from the different breeders.

its sad. I wish they wouldn't sell rabbits sometimes. but then you have the issue of people going to back yard breeders instead. I don't know which is worse.

Back