• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

and for my next question..................

lisa

Warren Scout
Hi,
ok can someone settle a small disagreement :?: my lovely boyfriend says i can just get a bale of hay from a farm and give that to shadey........but i am sure i read somewhere that you cant..............who is right............please let it be me :shock: See these inexperienced people(me) plus have read so many books that i am going dottled :D

thanks

Hi Lisa,

I'm new to bunnies too, but i would say yes you could get them hay from a farm...

I personally haven't....wonder who's right :lol:

Come on you clever bunny people....

love jewels xxx

We get all our hay from a farm :D Imagine with all the buns that we have getting those little bags? Bless us, we'd be in debt up to our ears :? We pass a lot of farms on the way to the one that we actually use as he has the best hay - most of his hay gets bought by horse people (I mean that they keep horses, not look like them) :lol: A lot of the farmers by us have the hay for the sheep and that's just not a good enough quality for the buns so we must go past 7 or 8 farms just to get the hay we want :roll:
Considering a bale of hay costs £2.50 or £3.00 and we go through a bale a week (sometimes more) :shock: then it works out at fantastic value.
Minnie came here a few weeks ago and all she used to have hay wise was the Timmy Hay - we can't afford that and anyway, most of the buns don't like it - she now turns her nose up at the Timmy hay and pounces on the farm hay :D

Lisa, Shadey doesn't eat an awful lot of hay. She only nibbles a little bit. I've tried her on lots of different types, timothy, meadow, rye etc. (I just wish they made carrot flavoured hay :roll: ). She does have heaps of it in her bed and her play boxes, but I never really see her eating it. She does eat Supaforage though which is the next best thing. If you got a bale of hay it would last you forever. It would be nice if you could try lots of different types though and you could get small bags of those.

Hi there,

YES!! You can use bales of hay (& straw) from the farm just make sure it is not the coarse stuff full of bracken & other debris!

I buy all of mine in bales - it will cost you an arm & a leg in those tiny little bags the pet shop sells!

The only advantage of buying bagged hay is sometimes it is dust-extracted, etc but to be honest its a bit hyped-up.

The thing to remember regardless of what hay you buy, is that it not mouldy & that your rabbits are regularly treated against parasites (which can come in the hay-but hay is still important) as a PREVENTATIVE MEASURE!

I also buy all my woodshavings & feed in bulk. The woodshavings i use is a woodshavings-and-finely-chopped-straw-mix that is dust-extracted & medicated called 'Sundown' which is used to bed down horses. It smells lovely especially when you have any number of bunnies as it keeps any smell down. It cost £6 for a large compressed & polythened bale.

My rabbits are all on Allen & Page pellets which contain Protexin (a probiotic) & that only costs me £5 per sack. I've had mine on a high quality mix before (still only £7 a sack) but think my rabbits thrive on the pellet & it cuts out a lot of the selective feeding business!

You will need somewhere to store it though, but its very convenient & worth it financially.

I used to have up to 100 rabbits & guinea-pigs under my care at a time (mine, the rescues and the boarders) so therefore bulk-buying was the only answer anyway.

bunnyhuggger said:
Jay, we only pay £3 for a huge bale of timmy hay, are you sure you can't get it anywhere near you?

Awww now Lynda - I live in Wales :!: Now come on, it's years behind on everything :? Timmy Hay - good grief, they'd have kittens if I asked for that :shock: Then they'd probably start talking in Welsh and blame me for not speaking properly :roll:
They wouldn't be growing all these new fangled things you know - it's beyond them :lol: :lol: :lol:

i get my hay from a farm, i always ask for meadow hay, its green and sweet smelling, the other hay they have is pasture hay, thats full of thistles and twigs and is not suitable.

the meadow hay is carefully controlled to make sure there are no weeds like thistles and smells absolutely gorgeous

Back