• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now Boo is ill u/d

weedug

Mama Doe
I went outside to give Boo and Pippin a snack yesterday afternoon and there was no sign of Boo. She was hiding in her box, something she never does if there is food around!

I couldn’t hear any gut sounds so got her seen at the vet. They couldn’t hear gut sounds either. Her blood glucose was 18. She was given meds and sub cut fluids and sent home overnight. She’s been eating bits and pooing and weeing.

This morning she went back to the vet for a check and they still couldn’t hear any gut sounds so she has been admitted.

I’m confused about how she will eat (although only after gut meds) and poo but there are no gut sounds :?

The vet is planning to repeat the blood glucose and give her fluids, meds and syringe feed.

Any spare vibes would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
Millions of vibes for Boo. I remember at Frances Harcourt Browns lectures she said she doesn't pay too much attention to gut sounds as she didn't feel they were that informative. I hope that glucose comes down & Boo is feeling much better soon

Millions of vibes for Boo. I remember at Frances Harcourt Browns lectures she said she doesn't pay too much attention to gut sounds as she didn't feel they were that informative. I hope that glucose comes down & Boo is feeling much better soon

Thanks for replying. That makes me feel a bit better. Hopefully the day in the vet’s will sort things out.

I’m really sorry Boo is unwell [emoji17] I really hope she’ll start to get better soon.

Around this time last year one of my rabbits had a severe bout of stasis. I took her to the vet one Sunday evening as she was showing signs of abdominal discomfort and refused food. She was given pain relief and gut stimulants and I syringe fed her through the night. However she seemed to deteriorate so I took her back very early the next morning. Despite the gut stimulant and syringe feeds by that point on examination there were no gut sounds at all. I was convinced she wasn’t going to recover. She was admitted for a couple of days and she eventually started to pass poo and eat for herself. She did make a full recovery, although it took a long two week slog of intense nursing and syringe feeding.

Sending lots of vibes for Boo. I know how alarming it is when you get told there are no gut sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both. The vet has just phoned to give me an update. Boo has been taking her feeds ok. Blood glucose is 18.7 and she hasn’t pooed since she’s been with them.

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that Boo is unwell. I really hope that she responds to treatment and makes a good recovery xx

I'm sorry to hear boo is unwell, sending you lots of vibes. What do you think about maybe an xray to see if they can spot anything? Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Boo’s home for the night. She had an X-ray, which showed no blockage and no build up of gas. She has very quiet gut sounds, but hasn’t pooed all day.

She has just been lying about since she has been home, so I have a feeling she will need to go back in tomorrow. We have an appointment for 11:15 in case it’s needed. Hopefully she just needs some time to settle in at home. Her friend, Pippin, has been enjoying the extra supper they were given!

Back