• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oxbow Joint Support Tablets

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Does anybun have an experience of using these? Do they 'help'.

Mousey has been on them for a month, I'm not sure if she is a tad more sprightly

I haven't used them for a rabbit. When Tan had Arthritis, we used Metacam, which did help a lot with her mobility.

The tabs contain Glucosamine, which I have used for myself in the past, without any noticeable benefit. Glucosamine is supposed to help with degeneration of the cartilage and how effective it is will be hard to judge, especially with a rabbit where you would only be able to look for better mobility. As far as I know Glucosamine does not claim to reverse damage done, but slows it down. Therefore, I don't think that it's likely to see any improvement in mobility from the Glucosamine. The other ingredients claim to be anti-inflammatory, which would be similar to Metacam, so these "might" produce an improvement. The question for me would be whether they are better for the rabbit than taking Metacam long term.

That said, rabbits seem to like the tablets and the only unwanted ingredient for me would be the Molasses, so as an alernative to long term Metacam it seems a reasonable option.

I haven't used them for a rabbit. When Tan had Arthritis, we used Metacam, which did help a lot with her mobility.

The tabs contain Glucosamine, which I have used for myself in the past, without any noticeable benefit. Glucosamine is supposed to help with degeneration of the cartilage and how effective it is will be hard to judge, especially with a rabbit where you would only be able to look for better mobility. As far as I know Glucosamine does not claim to reverse damage done, but slows it down. Therefore, I don't think that it's likely to see any improvement in mobility from the Glucosamine. The other ingredients claim to be anti-inflammatory, which would be similar to Metacam, so these "might" produce an improvement. The question for me would be whether they are better for the rabbit than taking Metacam long term.

That said, rabbits seem to like the tablets and the only unwanted ingredient for me would be the Molasses, so as an alernative to long term Metacam it seems a reasonable option.

Thats all very interesting. So if anything it would be preventative. Mouse isn't on any meds & I don't think she needs to be. She doesn't seem stiff or anything but she has never been as fluid in her movements as the other two, doesn't like to jump on stuff which could be personality or ability :?

Thats all very interesting. So if anything it would be preventative. Mouse isn't on any meds & I don't think she needs to be. She doesn't seem stiff or anything but she has never been as fluid in her movements as the other two, doesn't like to jump on stuff which could be personality or ability :?

Yes, that's my understanding :)

Yes. Both Thumper and Coco have been diagnosed with arthritis and prior to having them Thumper kept licking her front right paw, couldn't see what was wrong with it so off to the vet we went. It took an x-ray to confirm arthritis. Put her on these (and cream, but she didn't like the cream - the cream was because she'd licked her paw red sore) and within a week or so, no more licking and she's fine. Been on them ever since, I order them now from Amazon as they're cheaper than from the vet. Been on them for months now.

Coco has them too, they have half a hay tablet each broken up in with their pellets at night for tea, otherwise Thumper wouldn't take it. Coco eats it but then she's just a hoover :lol:.

When Coco had to have x-rays and stuff a few months ago and was knocked out, they discovered she had quite bad arthritis in her paws and a couple of joints and couldn't understand why she wasn't stiff - but then we said she was having half a tab, same as Thumper and had been for a number of months, and they said "ah, that'll be it then".

So yes, they do work for arthritis, and work very well.

My Frankie had these towards the end of her life as she suffered with arthritis. I wasn’t sure how much of an effect it was having but then I ran out and she seemed to deteriorate so I kept her on them until I lost her.

Angie B that's great to hear they are working wonders for your girls. Mouseypie has hers soaked for faster consumption otherwise J&B get wind of whats going on & demand some too even though I clearly explained they are medicine not sweets. I didn't know vets supported their use. I bought a pack from Amazon. Then realised they were being shipped from USA - patience was never my strongest suit - so bought some from ebay. They were about £12 each but I've since seen them on a pet med site for £8.40

How much do your girls weigh?

My Frankie had these towards the end of her life as she suffered with arthritis. I wasn’t sure how much of an effect it was having but then I ran out and she seemed to deteriorate so I kept her on them until I lost her.

Aww. Good they helped Frankie in her later years. Was she on meds too?

:lol: looks like she did though. How did she get pee in the packet - mightily skilled

I thought they might be useful for her, I offered her one, she sniffed it turned around and peed on it 🤣 after that I left the bag as a member kindly sent me some... and she got ahold of it and peed on that too 🤨

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angie B that's great to hear they are working wonders for your girls. Mouseypie has hers soaked for faster consumption otherwise J&B get wind of whats going on & demand some too even though I clearly explained they are medicine not sweets. I didn't know vets supported their use. I bought a pack from Amazon. Then realised they were being shipped from USA - patience was never my strongest suit - so bought some from ebay. They were about £12 each but I've since seen them on a pet med site for £8.40

How much do your girls weigh?

Sorry, only saw your question today. Thumper's about 2.5kg and Coco's slightly more at around 3kg.

Yes, the vet first prescribed them but then when I said I could get them cheaper off the internet, the vet was all for it - I bought some and had the contents checked out to ensure they were the same as the prescribed ones (they were) and have bought them from Amazon ever since. They did used to come from a UK company but for some reason have ceased and like you, they now come from the States. I usually order about 2 weeks or so before I run out, gives plenty of time for them to arrive then.

Sorry, only saw your question today. Thumper's about 2.5kg and Coco's slightly more at around 3kg.

Yes, the vet first prescribed them but then when I said I could get them cheaper off the internet, the vet was all for it - I bought some and had the contents checked out to ensure they were the same as the prescribed ones (they were) and have bought them from Amazon ever since. They did used to come from a UK company but for some reason have ceased and like you, they now come from the States. I usually order about 2 weeks or so before I run out, gives plenty of time for them to arrive then.

I'm giving Mouse who is a similar weight 2 for some reason. They are £8.40 from petmedsonline with free delivery over £29 so I think I'll buy 4 next time, last her in to the New Year. May start giving Boo & Joe half of one

I'm giving Mouse who is a similar weight 2 for some reason. They are £8.40 from petmedsonline with free delivery over £29 so I think I'll buy 4 next time, last her in to the New Year. May start giving Boo & Joe half of one
Can these do any harm if given but weren't needed?

I've been thinking for a long time about giving them to Clementine, but I'm not sure, I've never asked my vet.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I've been thinking for a long time about giving them to Clementine, but I'm not sure, I've never asked my vet.

I've not asked mine either. Omi is good at this stuff & she thought molasses would be the only potential concern with ingredients. When you look at online reviews they are incredibly positive . If you do check in with your vet at any point could you let me know their verdict please?

I doubt they would do any harm and I would have no hesitation in using them.

Is Clementine in need?

I doubt they would do any harm and I would have no hesitation in using them.

Is Clementine in need?
Idk, I worry about her, and her legs, and she's always on the heavy side... And Idk what to do, and I worry she'll suffer as she gets older.

She doesn't move a lot, and I wonder if it's because she's heavy... In pain... Or just lazy.. Don't get me wrong she seems totally fine in herself, she's just always laying down, not very active.

Back