• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lord H has Choked- Urgent Vibes Needed - U/D TY, He's OK !

He's OK !

BH, he nearly finished me off. I have no idea what he choked on. I was in the kitchen when suddenly I heard all this gagging and spluttering. He was frantically pawing at his mouth and a load of clear fluid was coming out of his nose. I managed to get him on my lap and by then he had stopped gagging. His face and front are soaking, as are his front legs. I am wondering if he actually choked on a drink of water is that even possible ??

I know to listen to his lungs regularly over the next 24 hours and I will speak with C later re what has happened. Choking on a pellet is one thing, but choking on water.............................. ??

I’m so glad he is ok! I don’t know, do you think it’s like when we have a drink and it goes down the wrong hole :shock: Sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

My word, how terrifying. Thank goodness he's ok! I agree with Zoobec - maybe it is just like water going down the wrong hole for him? I hope he continues to improve and gives you no more cause for concern.

I am really glad that he seems to be okay. Could he have choked on hay? Julie choked on hay when it was in small pieces.

I am really glad that he seems to be okay. Could he have choked on hay? Julie choked on hay when it was in small pieces.

Hello !! It is so lovely to hear from you :D I guess it could have been anything really. I think it was probably water as he was so wet. xx

Hello !! It is so lovely to hear from you :D I guess it could have been anything really. I think it was probably water as he was so wet. xx

Definitely could of been water but when Julie choked especially on hay what seemed like buckets of that clear fluid streamed out of her nose and she would gag on it but thankfully she would run to me and I would hold her in my lap nose down so the fluid ran out onto the floor then if OH around he would section out her nose on instruction from her vet with an infant bulb syringe. I did this on my own before but it was hard alone. I would after the fluid stopped pouring our get on the floor with her beweteen my kneens and sucktion until she stopped gurgling. She never got any in her lungs with this method.
According to her Vet chocking triggers the flow of the fluid and usually with her bits of hay or whatever she was choking on but not all the time anything would come out just the clear fluid. It is a scarey scarey thing. I know that you have quite a bit of experience with choking rabbits.

Definitely could of been water but when Julie choked especially on hay what seemed like buckets of that clear fluid streamed out of her nose and she would gag on it but thankfully she would run to me and I would hold her in my lap nose down so the fluid ran out onto the floor then if OH around he would section out her nose on instruction from her vet with an infant bulb syringe. I did this on my own before but it was hard alone. I would after the fluid stopped pouring our get on the floor with her beweteen my kneens and sucktion until she stopped gurgling. She never got any in her lungs with this method.
According to her Vet chocking triggers the flow of the fluid and usually with her bits of hay or whatever she was choking on but not all the time anything would come out just the clear fluid. It is a scarey scarey thing. I know that you have quite a bit of experience with choking rabbits.

Yes, I remember when Hal choked and he produced copious amount of mucus. At least with him I knew what caused it, a Science Selective Pellet.

I'm very relieved that he's OK. I think it's certainly possible to choke with a liquid and I think it happens when you try to breathe at the same time.

Back