• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hey!

Rozzi

New Kit
Hey, my name is Roxie and I have two gorgeous buns. I recently started a blog, I would love it if you went to check it out!
https://cottontailcarrot.blogspot.com/?m=1
So I'm going away soon on holiday, and I've got someone coming to watch the buns for me. Obviously we can't take the rabbits abroad, but if we were to stay in the country would I be able to take my rabbits then? They have a luxury carrier and harnesses, I'm also buying a pop up play pen and pet stroller but I'd love some advice on whether I should or shouldn't? I'd love to spend holiday time with the buns!
And they are both up to date with their vaccinations.:love:

Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: personally I wouldn’t take my rabbit on holiday with me, I don’t think the travelling and change in accommodation would suit him. I’m lucky to have a lovely neighbour to look after him. Those pop up play pens tend to be made of fabric, my friends rabbit chewed out of one in less than a minute, so anything like that isn’t good for confining them. Puppy pens tend to be better. I wouldn’t put a harness on any rabbit personally, they don’t tend to like them at all so I wouldn’t bother!

Thanks for replying! My rabbits don't mind the harness as we have been using them for a long time, and thanks for all the advice! I don't think we will take our rabbits away with us after all, as it seems like a bad idea! They are normally good travellers when we have to take them to the vet.
And pets strollers can also be used for buns, so long as they are big enough. :)

Hey, my name is Roxie and I have two gorgeous buns. I recently started a blog, I would love it if you went to check it out!
https://cottontailcarrot.blogspot.com/?m=1
So I'm going away soon on holiday, and I've got someone coming to watch the buns for me. Obviously we can't take the rabbits abroad, but if we were to stay in the country would I be able to take my rabbits then? They have a luxury carrier and harnesses, I'm also buying a pop up play pen and pet stroller but I'd love some advice on whether I should or shouldn't? I'd love to spend holiday time with the buns!
And they are both up to date with their vaccinations.:love:

Hi Rozzi and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Going on holiday with buns - it depends on whether you want to spend your holiday dong bunny chores and also how good they are at travelling. I've travelled often with my bunch of hooligans and they are absolutely fine and enjoy the change (both getting there and getting home again!).

Equally, if you have someone very reliable, it's less disruptive (and less hard work) to leave them behind.
Finding a trusty soul can be a bit of an ordeal though, if you haven't anyone in mind :)

I don't really have anyone to stay with them full time, and I don't trust a stranger to treat them better than how people seem to think a rabbit needs to be treated (in the manner of, stick some food down and make sure theyve got water. That's all there is to it, right?) Which is why I was entertaining the idea :)

I'm on the fence on this. One one hand, I think it could be nice for bunnies to experience new surroundings, smells, sights and all the other positives of a holiday. I wonder how the rabbits must feel and if they experience it as we do?
But on the other hand, rabbits tend to favour a routine and familiarity and they don't like having that routine disrupted. So taking them to a new location for a short period might unsettle them in some ways. Some years ago when we used to spend our xmas at the in-laws (30 miles away), we used to take 2 rabbits and 2 guine pigs down for the 3 days we stayed at the nouse. The bunnies never came out of the hutch until the last day and really didn't settle.
The other thing about taking bunnies to a new location is that you have to ensure the environment is bun-proof and potentially the rabbits could do some 'alterations' which might be costly.
I guess we're lucky because we have an exceptionally good house sitter/rabbit sitter who looks after our buns when we are away and comes at least 3 times a day. I'll check out the blog and hope that you find the decision that feels right for you.

Back