• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles ...

nicolar

Mama Doe
Hi

I have just got back from vet with my bunny, Pip, cos she sounded v snuffly and was sneezing. Vet listened to her chest and said that sounded OK, it was more her trachea where there seemed to be a lot of mucus. She said it could be snuffles, but it was presenting strange if it was as no runny nose, eyes etc. She is now on a week's course of Baytril, Protexin and Bisolvon (decongestant).

Has anybody else had anything like this with their bun? If so have you been able to do anything to make bun more comfy? Sounds like she really needs to cough or sneeze it all up bless her! Gotta go back in a week if no improvement.

Thanks

Nicola

Olbas Oil is invaluable in this situation. Dab it on a face cloth and place in hutch.

Also a bit of Echinacea in the water. PM Pendragon for dosages.

Be very careful...watch every move. See if their face swells. feel for swollen glands in cheeks and back of knees.
My bun had those symptoms and developed full blown pneumonia. It is almost imposible to recover from this. Much better treated at first signs.

I also used a bit of Vicks on top of my buns nose. <very tiny bit>

Hi Holly Go-Lightly

Thank you very much for your suggestions, will be doing the Olbas Oil tonight and will get some Echinacea and sort out dosages. I will be keeping an eye on her like a hawk, lol she won't get much rest!! Vet felt all over her and couldn't feel her glands up. She mentioned pneumonia, we have to go back in a week if not better, or sooner if I notice any other symptoms. I also have a Snugglesafe heatpad for her to keep her warm.

Thanks again, did your bunny recover from pneumonia? Did you catch it early?

Nicola

nicolar said:
Hi Holly Go-Lightly

Thank you very much for your suggestions, will be doing the Olbas Oil tonight and will get some Echinacea and sort out dosages. I will be keeping an eye on her like a hawk, lol she won't get much rest!! Vet felt all over her and couldn't feel her glands up. She mentioned pneumonia, we have to go back in a week if not better, or sooner if I notice any other symptoms. I also have a Snugglesafe heatpad for her to keep her warm.

Thanks again, did your bunny recover from pneumonia? Did you catch it early?

Nicola

Hi Nicola

It was very touch and go. Send me an e-mail on andrea_haring@btopenworld.com and I'll send you a small video of Clio with full blown pneumonia. He did recover...but I won't lie. It was 24/7 nursing for 3 days. Even then, I still had "that appointment" with the vet. My vet is brilliant and said let's give it 24 more hours. He LIVED!!!!!!!

Merlin has these symptoms most of the time, and is constantly on baytril because of it. If he goes without baytil it progresses rapidly to a proper snotty nose, infected eye and wheezy chest :( The vet says that once it has taken hold it is very hard to eradicate the bacteria. He thinks his teeth may be playing a role too and has given me metacam to use to reduce inflamation, although I only use it if gets really bad as I think there would be too many side effects if he was on it for extended periods. I hope the baytril doesn't have any long term side effects. He has 0.9 ml a day to maintain him, and has the dose twice a day if it starts to flare up. I think this is quite a high dose. He weighs 2.3 kg.

This sort of thing has to be taken very seriously in rabbits; it's not like a human cold. Stopping it before it gets to the lungs is vital. Apparently Merlin's lungs are damaged and are unlikely to recover. His breathing is bad if he gets stressed. At first I thought it might be too stressful for him in the house, as he is a rather nervous rabbit, and my boys are very loud, but he has become used to it and is now really calm and friendly. It was definitely the right move to bring him in where it is warm. He loves his bed right up against the radiator, it's the warmest place in the house.

Bless him he sounds very snuggly! I'd love to bring my bun inside but unfortunately I am not allowed (unless she is very poorly!) She has a nice cat bed to sleep in and I have brought her a Snuggle Safe heat pad to keep her warm.

No snotty nose etc yet, hopefully I have caught it early. My vet is very good, said chest is ok at mo. Her teeth were checked when she went under about 6 weeks ago to have an op on an abcess on her foot, and they were fine. She is on 0.8ml Baytril twice daily for a week to see if that helps, along with the decongestant, Bisolvon. I guess keeping warm is very important in respiratory problems?

How is Merlin at the mo? How old is he? Thanks for your help.

Nicola

Merlin isn't too bad atm. He snorts a bit and makes a fair bit of noise but no snot and no weepy eye, and his chest sounds clear. And he seems happy and is very friendly unless I am holding the syringe. As soon as he has had the meds he will hop onto my lap and ask for his reward. He no longer resents me for giving it to him. But he seems to smell it and trys to dodge to stop me catching him. But he is a bit clumsy and usually runs into my hands. Once I have him he doesn't put up a fight, just accepts it.

He is a year and half old. He developed the problem last year when he lived outside. He seems simply not to be a very healthy fellow. He is always thin as well although he eats plenty.

It does sound as if you have caught it in time. I wish I had :(

Oh bless him, he sounds lovely! Glad he isn't too bad at the mo, fingers crossed he stays that way for a while.He is obv one of those animals that is 'sickly' and needs lots of TLC! Pip is the same, OK once caught apart from a bit of wriggling but once syringe is in mouth she settles. Hates being caught during a medicine period, she always gets a treat after too :)

Yeah glad I have caught it early, I guess though that it can quickly develop so not your fault. At least he is with somebody who cares so much :) It's horrible to think about all the rabbits who prob do have snuffles but are kept at the bottom of the garden in a little hutch with no treatment :( Our buns are very lucky!

She seems bit better today, couldn't hear much snuffling but it has been when she has been moving more, and she has been snuggled up all day so prob why! Ate all her powdered medication last night tho like a good little girl :)

Take care

Nicola

cheeky has had snuffles now for 4 years . He is now nearly 6 and has managed it all this time ( with alot of help from my vet) . It just means that I have to keep a close eye on him . He also has bead teeth and has to get his molars trimmed and gets the odd eye infection . Apart from that he is a happy wee man and I know that when he goes downhill that the vet usually manages to perk him up again . If he was suffering then there is no way I,d let him go on as I love him too much for that but the vet has said that he isn,t and we are able to control all the health problems . I just wish that there was an nhs for bunnies . :lol:

Ah bless him, I guess it can be managed successfully for long periods of time, as you said, where is that NHS for bunnies!!

Glad Cheeky is doing well, and sounds like you have a good vet :)

Nicola

my vets are brill , they are now very good friends of me and my fiance . I got to st clair vets in kirkcaldy and I mainly see Ian paterson . I trust him completely when it comes to my animals and that is saying something .

Yeah my vets are brill too, only just switched to them, did so cos they are such good vets! Can't fault them, they looked after my bunny so well when she had her op bout 7 weeks ago :) Well they could make it cheaper lol

Back