• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

young un-neutered does, (10 weeks), adding similar buck

nkab

New Kit
Hi
I'm new to the forum.
My daughter came home from the pet shop during the week with a 10 week old un-neutered doe (named Lulu), she is currently in an indoor cage but will soon be moved to an outdoor hutch. We are considering adding a similar aged un-neutered buck and have the following questions:
- is it best to buy a companion now, introduce at the same time into the new hutch?
- will they get along without the risk of breeding until they are ready to be neutered?
- I've read that neutering should be done around 4 months, is that correct?
Many thanks for the advice.
Neil

Hi
I'm new to the forum.
My daughter came home from the pet shop during the week with a 10 week old un-neutered doe (named Lulu), she is currently in an indoor cage but will soon be moved to an outdoor hutch. We are considering adding a similar aged un-neutered buck and have the following questions:
- is it best to buy a companion now, introduce at the same time into the new hutch?
- will they get along without the risk of breeding until they are ready to be neutered?
- I've read that neutering should be done around 4 months, is that correct?
Many thanks for the advice.
Neil

Hello

Firstly I would want to get Lulu Vaccinated, BEFORE introducing any other Rabbit. Some information about Vaccinations here :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?472636-Vaccinations-2018&p=7041560#post7041560

I am not sure how much research you have done into the needs of Pet Rabbits, the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund provides a vast amount of information on their website, including details about neutering and suitable accommodation. I definitely recommend that you have a thorough read through the site if you have not already done so.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Maybe you could wait until Lulu has been fully vaccinated and then consider contacting a local Rescue Centre who could have a young already neutered and Vaccinated Buck whom you could apply to adopt as a companion for Lulu :)

I agree with Jack's-Jane. If you were to get a similar aged buck you would have to separate them in about a month's time when they would be 14 weeks. You would then need to wait until the boy was neutered, he might not be ready at 14 weeks, so perhaps at 16 weeks, depending on whether the boy's testicles have dropped, and the Vet. You would then need to wait maybe another month to be on the safe side as the boy could still be fertile for a couple of weeks post neuter. So, if you are happy to follow these guidelines then you could get another rabbit. You could then have both vaccinated together. Or you might choose to wait and look for a rescued boy already neutered and vaccinated.

I would also be concerned about putting her from inside to out, as it has started going cold. She would probably be ok with lots of heat pads/bedding but I wouldn’t be wanting to leave it more than a few more days.

I would also wait, or adopt an already neutered buck. The buck will be fertile around 12 weeks old and your doe shortly after. Bucks are fertile for 4-8 weeks after neutering.

You should be able to get your doe spayed at 4-6 months. Some vets are happy to spay at 16 weeks but some like to wait longer. Bucks can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop - this can be any time from 12 weeks onwards.

I would recommend checking out your local RSPCA or rabbit rescue, good rescues neuter their rabbits before rehoming, so this would mean you could get her a friend safely now. A lot of rescues also carry out the bonding for you, so that saves you a few sleepless nights of bonding!

Just a note about moving her outside - it would be best to either do this right now, or keep her indoors over the winter (until April). If you wait until it is already cold before putting her out, she may not grow her winter coat quick enough, and being just a baby still with no friend to snuggle up with to keep warm, she’d be at risk of succumbing to the cold over the winter.

Back