• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering question

hartleyhare

Warren Scout
I'm not sure if I should have put this in Health, so maybe someone can move it if need be.

Sebastian, my wild bunny, is booked in for castration next week. He went for the second half of his VHD2 jab a fortnight ago, so I had a chat to Dave about it and voiced my concerns about it. Apart from the anaesthetic risk I am concerned that Sebastian's testicles are not developing as I would have expected. Vet agreed that they are under developed or not fully descended. He says he is confident that he can successfully perform the operation but may need to use a deeper anaesthesia and wanted to wait the extra 2 weeks to see if there is any change. There has not been. I don't know Sebastian's exact age, but he was weaned when he arrived so that would make him 12 - 13 weeks now. I'm quite worried about this operation and wondering if I should cancel and wait another 2 weeks, just in case he's a late developer. There has been no change in the size of his testicles for 4 weeks.

Has anyone had or got a bun with cryptorchidism? I'm really anxious about him going to the vet and being left there without me. He's okay with being picked up and cuddled, etc, by me, but not so confident around people he doesn't know. And, he's made the association of an unpleasant experience with a vet trip.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I’ve not experienced this so I can’t advise, but I would think it wouldn’t do any harm to wait a couple of weeks just to see what happens, just in case anything changes. I would go with whatever the vet suggests, so long as the vet is rabbit savvy. In fact, I would ensure the vet is very rabbit savvy before allowing them to do the op, with it being a little more complicated.

Of course, there’s always the possibility that he’s tucking them up to try and hide them!

I'm not sure if I should have put this in Health, so maybe someone can move it if need be.

Sebastian, my wild bunny, is booked in for castration next week. He went for the second half of his VHD2 jab a fortnight ago, so I had a chat to Dave about it and voiced my concerns about it. Apart from the anaesthetic risk I am concerned that Sebastian's testicles are not developing as I would have expected. Vet agreed that they are under developed or not fully descended. He says he is confident that he can successfully perform the operation but may need to use a deeper anaesthesia and wanted to wait the extra 2 weeks to see if there is any change. There has not been. I don't know Sebastian's exact age, but he was weaned when he arrived so that would make him 12 - 13 weeks now. I'm quite worried about this operation and wondering if I should cancel and wait another 2 weeks, just in case he's a late developer. There has been no change in the size of his testicles for 4 weeks.

Has anyone had or got a bun with cryptorchidism? I'm really anxious about him going to the vet and being left there without me. He's okay with being picked up and cuddled, etc, by me, but not so confident around people he doesn't know. And, he's made the association of an unpleasant experience with a vet trip.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
I don't know much about this...

But my boy bun didn't get neutered til he was about 5 months old, he was also very slow to develop. I'd just wait personally

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I would be inclined to delay neutering until he is ready, rather than put him through a more serious operation just for the sake of waiting for a few more weeks, or even a couple of months. He is still very young and has other things to deal with right now. Putting him through a bigger op may mean that he needs more recovery time and possible complications such as a greater risk of infection which he may not cope with if he doesn't like vet visits. 12 weeks is about the earliest any male rabbit could be neutered anyway - so my advice is don't rush it and make it easier on both of you.

I would be inclined to delay neutering until he is ready, rather than put him through a more serious operation just for the sake of waiting for a few more weeks, or even a couple of months. He is still very young and has other things to deal with right now. Putting him through a bigger op may mean that he needs more recovery time and possible complications such as a greater risk of infection which he may not cope with if he doesn't like vet visits. 12 weeks is about the earliest any male rabbit could be neutered anyway - so my advice is don't rush it and make it easier on both of you.

I agree xx

Thanks for the replies. My gut feeling has been to wait awhile. My only reason for wanting it done asap is so he can live freerange with Amber again. At present the cages are side by side so they can touch noses and talk to each other. Neither of them is happy with their current arrangement. Amber is 4 months and I'm trying very hard to talk myself into her being spayed. She is a wildie too and also has a permanent head tilt as a result of almost being lunch for a stoat. She needs handling a certain way to accommodate her tilt and also is not at all keen on vet visits. I'm probably being overprotective, they look quite delicate and fragile compared to my other 5 lumps of bunniness, but they are likely a lot tougher than they look.

Dave is not a rabbit savvy vet but he's the best we've got, given where we live. Nearest exotic vet is Chester, which would mean a long car journey as well as unfamiliar people. I'm also not sure about their reactions to wild bunnies. I would like to think they would be treated the same as a domestic bunny. I had a bad reaction from a vet a few years ago involving gaining treatment for a hedgehog. I did get the treatment eventually, but there was a lot of unpleasant feeling and, not surprisingly, I don't use that practise any more.

Last edited:
Some rabbits also!ayve a nak in retracting them back in when feeling stressed especially at vet I had a bun and it was third time lucky that he could be eve tually neutered

Back