• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, trying not to have a meltdown

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Archie escaped into our kitchen and got behind the dushwasher! Didn't even know there was a hole there.

We got him out but there is a white powder under there. We have no idea if he ate any or got any in his paws.

We've just moved in so it's not ours. Worrying it's Ant powder but could be anything I guess.

He seems fine and is happily munching away. We've phoned the emergency vet and she said he'd show signs within an hour and to monitor him.

Having a bit of a meltdown

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Oh gosh :'( what a worry :( I hope things will be okay, sending vibes and hugs xxxx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Archie escaped into our kitchen and got behind the dushwasher! Didn't even know there was a hole there.

We got him out but there is a white powder under there. We have no idea if he ate any or got any in his paws.

We've just moved in so it's not ours. Worrying it's Ant powder but could be anything I guess.

He seems fine and is happily munching away. We've phoned the emergency vet and she said he'd show signs within an hour and to monitor him.

Having a bit of a meltdown

Try not to worry :)

It's probably plaster dust? I'm guessing you've brushed it off now?

I had a foster rabbit and she was a little white Nethie. I had to keep her in the bathroom for an afternoon and she managed to find her way through a tiny hole into some boxed pipework area. There was nowhere she could get to, but when she came out she was terracotta coloured :shock: I gave her a thorough brush down, and the vet said she was fine, and indeed she was :)

Thanks to you both. It's been an hour so far and he seems ok. His back paws were definitely clean, but he wouldn't let me look at the front ones.

Still worrying but feeling a bit better now it's an hour gone by. Will keep an eye on him though. Wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow. :-(

Oh my gosh Archie. How did you get in there? Toby Spidey Bloke would be so proud...

I really hope that everything will be ok? I'd be having a melt down too.

I would give lots of noms tonight

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Try not to worry :)

It's probably plaster dust? I'm guessing you've brushed it off now?

I had a foster rabbit and she was a little white Nethie. I had to keep her in the bathroom for an afternoon and she managed to find her way through a tiny hole into some boxed pipework area. There was nowhere she could get to, but when she came out she was terracotta coloured :shock: I gave her a thorough brush down, and the vet said she was fine, and indeed she was :)

Definitely not plaster dust. Looks like damp washing powder but has no smell.

I've looked online and wonder if it's salts coming out of the concrete?

Nethies are too good at getting into mischief. I'm glad your bun was ok.

Oh my gosh Archie. How did you get in there? Toby Spidey Bloke would be so proud...

I really hope that everything will be ok? I'd be having a melt down too.

I would give lots of noms tonight

He's rather good at find teeny holes to squeeze into !

Watching them both like a hawk, Daddy had just given them a pile of plantain and some dried carrot. It's all gone!

He's rather good at find teeny holes to squeeze into !

Watching them both like a hawk, Daddy had just given them a pile of plantain and some dried carrot. It's all gone!

Keep us updated. I hope he will be ok, I'm sure he will xx

Sending vibes for Archie. I hope he's OK.

I wondered if it was a deposit coming out of the bricks or flooring. I would be surprised if he'd eaten any of it , but of course you can't be sure. I would also imagine, with a powder, that there would be some evidence left around his mouth. Did he have access to it for very long?

Sending vibes for Archie. I hope he's OK.

I wondered if it was a deposit coming out of the bricks or flooring. I would be surprised if he'd eaten any of it , but of course you can't be sure. I would also imagine, with a powder, that there would be some evidence left around his mouth. Did he have access to it for very long?

His mouth didn't have anything obvious on it. His head was covered in cobwebs, looked like he had a wig on. Was kinda funny til I found the powder. Was more worried about stuff on his feet and him licking it off.

I'm not sure how long he was down there, he'd escaped into the kitchen. OH found him in there and I left him for maybe 10 mins thinking he'd be safe. He likes running under the washing airer. When I popped in to bring him back into the lounge he ran out from behind the dishwasher.

Didn't realise there were any holes!!!

Definitely not plaster dust. Looks like damp washing powder but has no smell.

I've looked online and wonder if it's salts coming out of the concrete?

Nethies are too good at getting into mischief. I'm glad your bun was ok.

You could be right about the concrete.

However, I would have thought he would have cleaned it off once out of the situation rather than whilst he was in it. So it might have just fallen off his feet as he was hopping about.

I know what you mean about the wig. One of my buns went under the bed and came out with a moustache.
I must improve my vacuuming technique :lol:

Seriously though - can you get inside that hole at all to see what's there? Torch? Long spoon?
Then call the vet in the morning, or get a sample over to them?

You could be right about the concrete.

However, I would have thought he would have cleaned it off once out of the situation rather than whilst he was in it. So it might have just fallen off his feet as he was hopping about.

I know what you mean about the wig. One of my buns went under the bed and came out with a moustache.
I must improve my vacuuming technique [emoji38]

Seriously though - can you get inside that hole at all to see what's there? Torch? Long spoon?
Then call the vet in the morning, or get a sample over to them?

Yeah I have no idea if he actually got any on him. He may not have at all.

I only found the powder because I crawled in to check he hadn't eaten the cable for the dishwasher. He didn't have any on his body but he wouldn't let me check his feet. His was wriggling like an eel.

He lay down earlier and his back feet are clean. Fingers crossed I've panicked for no reason.

Yes I could get a sample for the vets

Yeah I have no idea if he actually got any on him. He may not have at all.

I only found the powder because I crawled in to check he hadn't eaten the cable for the dishwasher. He didn't have any on his body but he wouldn't let me check his feet. His was wriggling like an eel.

He lay down earlier and his back feet are clean. Fingers crossed I've panicked for no reason.

Yes I could get a sample for the vets

I think all should be well.

Yes get a sample just in case there's anything happens to him and the vet wants to know what he might have stood in.

I hope you can sleep without worrying too much x

He's fine. Panic over everyone. The little munchkin is happily eating his pellets like normal this morning.

Thank you for sending vibes and making me feel better. :)

He's fine. Panic over everyone. The little munchkin is happily eating his pellets like normal this morning.

Thank you for sending vibes and making me feel better. :)

I missed all this, so glad that he is ok :thumb:

Glad he's ok! Sonic gets into all kinds of mischief. We once had a family BBQ and the rabbit was just out and about doing his rabbity things, and my granddad says... "Is he supposed to be eating that?"

The answer was 'NO', seeing as though it was chalk :roll: He's stolen a digestive biscuit before, and helped himself to a pint. Must be a boy thing!

Glad he's ok! Sonic gets into all kinds of mischief. We once had a family BBQ and the rabbit was just out and about doing his rabbity things, and my granddad says... "Is he supposed to be eating that?"

The answer was 'NO', seeing as though it was chalk :roll: He's stolen a digestive biscuit before, and helped himself to a pint. Must be a boy thing!
Ughh I bet the chalk didn't taste very nice. Maybe it is a boy thing Pip is very fussy about what she eats. Archie will eat anything that is in from of his face!

Back