• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please regarding hay and chemicals

Graciee

Staff member
Weird one.

Roofer put some kind of solvent on the roof to garage where it's leaking. I keep all hay and bedding in there. Opened it this evening to get litter pellets and the solvent smell hit me... I've left the doors open and it is dissipating but is the hay safe to feed? I'm really not sure :( I've got a massive headache from the smell :(

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Weird one.

Roofer put some kind of solvent on the roof to garage where it's leaking. I keep all hay and bedding in there. Opened it this evening to get litter pellets and the solvent smell hit me... I've left the doors open and it is dissipating but is the hay safe to feed? I'm really not sure :( I've got a massive headache from the smell :(

How's your hay stored? Is it bagged?

When did the men finish work on the roof?

How's your hay stored? Is it bagged?

When did the men finish work on the roof?
It's the Timothyhay.co.uk stuff, just in those white bags they ship them in

They haven't finished just did this waterproof layer, Idk what the next step is, as there's no communication between roofer, my dad and me tbh. But I know the roofer has to come back.

Hmmm - I'm sort of leaning towards agreeing with Joey&Boo. The solvent is obviously unknown - it's an exterior solvent I assume so it may be bitchumen based (again, I'm assuming). The smell (or esther) may contain some chemical particles which may get into the dried hay and as much as it's a pain, it may be wiser to just abandon the hay and bedding for the safety of your bunnies. I know this is a bummer and not your fault, but it's probably the safest thing for your rabbits. And I hope your headache subsides quickly.

It's the Timothyhay.co.uk stuff, just in those white bags they ship them in

They haven't finished just did this waterproof layer, Idk what the next step is, as there's no communication between roofer, my dad and me tbh. But I know the roofer has to come back.

I'd drop Gavin a note at timothy hay.co.uk, as he or Janice respond really fast.

Ask them what they think - it's been wrapped up but the bag is breathable, so difficult to say.

Hmmm - I'm sort of leaning towards agreeing with Joey&Boo. The solvent is obviously unknown - it's an exterior solvent I assume so it may be bitchumen based (again, I'm assuming). The smell (or esther) may contain some chemical particles which may get into the dried hay and as much as it's a pain, it may be wiser to just abandon the hay and bedding for the safety of your bunnies. I know this is a bummer and not your fault, but it's probably the safest thing for your rabbits. And I hope your headache subsides quickly.
Yeaaa I'm thinking you're right, it's a completely bummer there's at least £500 worth if not more of bedding, hay, hay and forage bales, and stuff like that - but not sure I wanna risk it tbh :/

Yeaaa I'm thinking you're right, it's a completely bummer there's at least £500 worth if not more of bedding, hay, hay and forage bales, and stuff like that - but not sure I wanna risk it tbh :/

Gosh, that's a lot of hay :shock: I would not feel happy using the hay with the information you have, but it might be worth trying to establish exactly what the chap used, so that you can research it online.

Oh man, that's a lot to have to waste, but I don't think I'd risk it either. It's that horrible what if voice, isn't it x

Gosh, that's a lot of hay :shock: I would not feel happy using the hay with the information you have, but it might be worth trying to establish exactly what the chap used, so that you can research it online.
Yeaaaaa [emoji38] yea maybe, altho no chemical is gunna be good. Think ima just clear it all out tomorrow night when I get home - shame tbh, I've ordered some more hay gunna put that in a shed temporarily, then I'll have to replace other stuff once roof is sorted I think, nightmare tbh, gunna have to buy some hay in pets at home to get me til new hay arrives, ordered it earlier, but guessing it'll be next week now :(

Oh man, that's a lot to have to waste, but I don't think I'd risk it either. It's that horrible what if voice, isn't it x
Yea exactly!

All the hammie toys will have to go too, and his bedding which isn't cheap [emoji24]

Oh gracious, I thought it was just the one bag of timothy wrapped up :shock:

Oh gracious, I thought it was just the one bag of timothy wrapped up :shock:
Yeaaa nahhhh [emoji849] unfortunately not, I've emailed gavin like you suggested, but I'll have to get some hay tomorrow night I'm guessing until new stuff arrives then clear everything out tomorrow night, sucks coz all the forage boxes and stuff are just wrapped up in brown paper, so those all need to go too :(

Well, I think we have all learnt a valuable lesson here. Bunnies stuff belongs inside, hooman belongings outside! :D

I am trying to think what the stuff could be used for to save it going to waste?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Well, I think we have all learnt a valuable lesson here. Bunnies stuff belongs inside, hooman belongings outside! :D

I am trying to think what the stuff could be used for to save it going to waste?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

[emoji38][emoji38] If only we had the space inside!

Yea terrible waste tbh :( I'd rather be safe tho

Ah man that's a shame but I wouldnt risk it either. You just don't know. :(

I was thinking it was just a few bags of hay and bedding - thought I'd read it wrong and it was £50 instead of £500 :shock:

Ah man that's a shame but I wouldnt risk it either. You just don't know. :(

I was thinking it was just a few bags of hay and bedding - thought I'd read it wrong and it was £50 instead of £500 :shock:
Yeaa well two bags of hay is £40 all ready, and there was more than a couple in there, then there's all the bedding, then the long haired syrians bedding which is like £20 for three bags, which is only three changes of his tank, which I do weekly and I'm not always home so I tend to buy more so if I can't be here for deliverys we don't run out, then there's other hays and forage, and just generally stuff, like hammies box of toys, some of which are made from hay and stuff, they're just living in a cardboard box so I don't wanna risk any of that either. Also all the litter pellets which were just in that paper packaging I can't remember how much they cost tbh but 30l bag lasts just like one maybe two changes of litter trays? Which I have two to change every night and I think they're £15-£20 per bag...? I just spent about a hundred earlier in the week on amazon getting more [emoji38] really not ideal, but could be worse, the animals all being okay is more important than stuff and money.

But, it's an awful shame and waste.

Can you leave it outside for a few days to air out and see if the smell goes? If the good weather holds up, it is worth a go. Stuff in bags (eg the litter) or that was in the middle of a stack would probably be ok if left out with plenty of ventilation for a while, especially if it isn't going to be eaten. Then you need to thing about where to store all the supplies as the garage will also need airing out before you use it again.

Back