• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The search for a friend

capable

Mama Doe
I hope this is the right place for this thread, rather than B&B, as I don’t have a bonding issue (yet!).

One of my boys, William, has been a solo bun since I had to split him and his brother up - William was very domineering, and it was drastically affecting his brother’s health. There was an attempt to bond William into a trio with his brother +a new male, which unfortunately failed due to William and the newbie fighting (the 2 other boys are now a happy pair).

I feel sad that William still hasn’t got a companion. Unfortunately the rescues that have small animals don’t have any singletons, and I really want to avoid pet shops or accidental/purposeful breeders in the local ads. I’ve been keeping an eye on the p@h adoption centre, but nothing has been forthcoming.

Today there was a lovely otter-coloured baby bun in the AC, who I had admired in the main pen a few weeks ago. Didn’t have much info, other than he was a male. Now I know male pairings aren’t uncommon, but I don’t know if there’d be a better chance of forming a lasting bond with a female, since all of William's previous poor experiences have been with other males?

William is always the top bun, and would need a partner that either is naturally very submissive, or would submit fairly quickly to avoid fights. This little baby is so sweet, but I dismissed him quite swiftly because he’s male, and now I’m wondering if that was the right call to make? I know no one can be definitive on this, but some insight/experiences would be appreciated!

Last edited:
In your shoes I think I'd err towards a girlfriend for William too. Fingers crossed the right bun for him comes along soon

Thank you all for confirming that which I knew in my heart felt right. I hope the baby mini-rex gets a lovely home. In the meantime we must keep our fingers crossed that a suitable lady comes along!

How exciting :). We're about ready to start bonding our Blossom with our lovely new Dutchy, Jester.

It's not for everyone, but we found him on an ad. Not our usual type as he hasn't been neglected at all and it was merely a change in circumstances. He'd already been neutered, so we've just delayed things while he got his vaccs. Obviously with this route, you do need a back up plan if they don't get on! x

Back