• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Damaged ear and stasis

LarryMolly

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Is it possible for rabbits to break their ears? We brought Molly home from the vets last night as she’s got GI Stasis (sadly this is still ongoing and been going for a few days). She was hooked up to an IV, presumably in her ear at the vets. When we collected her her ear is completely flopped down (she’s not a lop) and she doesn’t appear to be able to move it. It’s just flopped entirely and I’m worried there’s been some damage to it.

We’re back to the vets in a minute anyway as she’s not improving at all. Very lethargic but is nibbling small amounts of dried dandelion.

Going to have more drugs injected and sub q fluids and bring her home again rather than admit her as she’s nibbling. Really don’t want her to get more stressed out.

Any advice appreciated. This is the worst stasis we’ve been through. Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Is it possible for rabbits to break their ears? We brought Molly home from the vets last night as she’s got GI Stasis (sadly this is still ongoing and been going for a few days). She was hooked up to an IV, presumably in her ear at the vets. When we collected her her ear is completely flopped down (she’s not a lop) and she doesn’t appear to be able to move it. It’s just flopped entirely and I’m worried there’s been some damage to it.

We’re back to the vets in a minute anyway as she’s not improving at all. Very lethargic but is nibbling small amounts of dried dandelion.

Going to have more drugs injected and sub q fluids and bring her home again rather than admit her as she’s nibbling. Really don’t want her to get more stressed out.

Any advice appreciated. This is the worst stasis we’ve been through. Thank you :)

I'm really sorry to hear about Molly :(

Yes I have known this happen to rabbit's ears. I had a rabbit who was up eared and after a simple vaccination he was left with a floppy ear.

I hope the stasis passes. Have you seen the info here?

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

I also use Infacol (infant gas meds) which is fine alongside anything the vet gives.
One ml every three hours for three doses.
Sometimes it can be a life saver for buns.

I give rose leaves, bramble leaves and fresh picked grass for stasis. Also herbs can sometimes whet the appetite .. coriander, parsley and dill are faves.

Are you syringe feeding? I mix mashed pellets or Recovery food with organic baby food pouches such as Ella's Kitchen - fruit or veg whichever is the preference.

Good luck at the vets x

Hi all,

I think with fluid going into ear that way it can cause that, it may go back up again! Bunny ears are very delicate and aren't designed to take weight at all, but they often recover :)

Hope Molly gets better, stasis is so stressful :( x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thank you both. We’re back from vets. They were able to do a conscious X-ray as she’s so lethargic - no obstruction or bloat but she has a huge amount of food in her stomach to the point where her stomach is much bigger than it should be. Given the usual drugs again and we obviously have more to administer at home along with syringe feeding her. Will try the Ella’s Kitchen idea - thanks MM.

She’s completely passed out now so leaving her for a while surrounded by a bed of her favourite herbs and veggies. Hopefully she wakes up and fancies nibbling soon.

I’m a bit worried about what they did to her ear, fingers crossed it’s not permanent x

Thank you both. We’re back from vets. They were able to do a conscious X-ray as she’s so lethargic - no obstruction or bloat but she has a huge amount of food in her stomach to the point where her stomach is much bigger than it should be. Given the usual drugs again and we obviously have more to administer at home along with syringe feeding her. Will try the Ella’s Kitchen idea - thanks MM.

She’s completely passed out now so leaving her for a while surrounded by a bed of her favourite herbs and veggies. Hopefully she wakes up and fancies nibbling soon.

I’m a bit worried about what they did to her ear, fingers crossed it’s not permanent x

It's highly likely not to be permanent, as they injected into an ear vein, and not into the cartilage at the base of the ear (which would make it more permanent)

Vibes for a quick recovery.

Fluids are so important - if you feed greens or herbs, make them wet.

Why is she so lethargic? Has she had Vetergesic/Buprenorphine? That can make a rabbit very sleepy ...

Sending you and Molly some positive vibes. The fluids should help hydrate the mass and help her to pass the material. Syringing small quantities of water into her mouth may be beneficial. Has she passed any poos, even very small, irregular ones?
If the vets gave her pain meds, some can make her drowsy. Pain management is so important, yet it can make the bunny sleepy and some drugs can even slow GI movement. It is always a balancing act.
Stasis can come on quickly and recover quickly; and it can also be a roller coaster of ups and downs. It is good that Molly is still nibbling.

Thank you all.

They gave her Buprenorphine I believe, so I’m assuming that’s why she’s lethargic, also gave metacam, emeprid and ranitidine.

At the moment we have no nibbling. I saw some teeny poos this morning but nothing since.

If her stomach is so full with food is it still a good idea to syringe feed? Or leave it a little longer and syringe feed later tonight? Maybe I could just do water now? And how often do you recommend syringe feeding?

It’s certainly a roller coaster, it’s so sad seeing her so poorly.

Thank you all.

They gave her Buprenorphine I believe, so I’m assuming that’s why she’s lethargic, also gave metacam, emeprid and ranitidine.

At the moment we have no nibbling. I saw some teeny poos this morning but nothing since.

If her stomach is so full with food is it still a good idea to syringe feed? Or leave it a little longer and syringe feed later tonight? Maybe I could just do water now? And how often do you recommend syringe feeding?

It’s certainly a roller coaster, it’s so sad seeing her so poorly.

Yes that's it. It's supposed to be 'out of the system' within 8 hours, but in some bunnies has a more lasting effect.

Regards the amount to syringe feed - roughly 10 ml per kg of bunny every couple of hours or so.
You could try syringing her very dilute recovery food - adding a bit of water to the mix (and baby food)

However, as your vet has said she already has a full stomach, I would contact the surgery for advice before relying on the standard info I've provided here.

One thing - did the vet do a blood glucose test? if so, can you remember what the value was?

Did the vet mention cecal impaction at all?

Have a read here:

https://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/

https://rabbit.org/journal/3-7/gi.html

Just be sure that vet has excluded any kind of blockage before feeding her too much.
Water and Infacol are safe to feed at any time.

Hello, I hope your bun recovers soon.
My rabbit is an up eared rabbit and was hospitalised for a few days with GI stasis. When he came home his ear they'd put an IV into was no longer up, but droopy instead. It took 4 days before it went back up to normal, but it's been fine since. I hope that helps. xx

Yes that's it. It's supposed to be 'out of the system' within 8 hours, but in some bunnies has a more lasting effect.

Regards the amount to syringe feed - roughly 10 ml per kg of bunny every couple of hours or so.
You could try syringing her very dilute recovery food - adding a bit of water to the mix (and baby food)

However, as your vet has said she already has a full stomach, I would contact the surgery for advice before relying on the standard info I've provided here.

One thing - did the vet do a blood glucose test? if so, can you remember what the value was?

Did the vet mention cecal impaction at all?

Have a read here:

https://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/

https://rabbit.org/journal/3-7/gi.html

Just be sure that vet has excluded any kind of blockage before feeding her too much.
Water and Infacol are safe to feed at any time.

Hi MM,

Thanks for this info. The vet did seem to think there wasn’t any blockage, just an awful lot in her tummy. I’ve just done her meds and a small amount of syringed food with Ella’s Kitchen Apple in. I’ll do a little bit more in a few hours but dilute it more. Keeping a close eye on her though. She’s still lethargic which I don’t like seeing.

Yes they did blood glucose - it was 14. He went on to say if it was 15 (I think) then they’d recommend surgery?? What’s your experience with that?

Didn’t mention cecal impaction so I will look into that now and read the link you sent - thank you for that.

x

Hello, I hope your bun recovers soon.
My rabbit is an up eared rabbit and was hospitalised for a few days with GI stasis. When he came home his ear they'd put an IV into was no longer up, but droopy instead. It took 4 days before it went back up to normal, but it's been fine since. I hope that helps. xx

Thanks Sarahbun! That’s really good to hear! I’ll keep my hopes up that it’ll pop back up in a few days :) x

Hi MM,

Thanks for this info. The vet did seem to think there wasn’t any blockage, just an awful lot in her tummy. I’ve just done her meds and a small amount of syringed food with Ella’s Kitchen Apple in. I’ll do a little bit more in a few hours but dilute it more. Keeping a close eye on her though. She’s still lethargic which I don’t like seeing.

Yes they did blood glucose - it was 14. He went on to say if it was 15 (I think) then they’d recommend surgery?? What’s your experience with that?

Didn’t mention cecal impaction so I will look into that now and read the link you sent - thank you for that.

x

You're welcome. I know how worrying this is.

It's really difficult when a rabbit is under the influence of Buprenorphine, as they seem to have given up, but they haven't!

Taken from Lecture Notes emailed to me by Frances Harcourt Brown:

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre)

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

You're welcome. I know how worrying this is.

It's really difficult when a rabbit is under the influence of Buprenorphine, as they seem to have given up, but they haven't!

Taken from Lecture Notes emailed to me by Frances Harcourt Brown:

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre)

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

Very interesting, thank you. It looks like 14 is high but not critical high. Although it says gut stasis is when it goes below 4 rather than up which is interesting. Hopefully being at home now this will come down.

Will keep you posted x

Sending you and Molly some more positive vibes. It is hard when they are lethargic from pain meds because then they don't want to eat until it starts to wear off. Hopefully this post will find Molly on the mend.

So Molly is showing some signs of improving albeit very very slowly. She did a few teeny poos at 11am and left an odd looking ceocotroph on the floor so things must be moving a bit now. She also nibbled a dried dandelion leaf and two strands of hay. She’s not interested in any herbs or veggies at the moment.

But she’s still very lethargic and sleepy and her eyes appear glazed. She’s not nibbled or pooed since 11am. I’ve just tried to get her to nibble again and she’s not interested.

We have another round of meds and syringe feeding at 2.30. This is day 4 now and I’m concerned how long this has been going on for. Come on Molly.

So Molly is showing some signs of improving albeit very very slowly. She did a few teeny poos at 11am and left an odd looking ceocotroph on the floor so things must be moving a bit now. She also nibbled a dried dandelion leaf and two strands of hay. She’s not interested in any herbs or veggies at the moment.

But she’s still very lethargic and sleepy and her eyes appear glazed. She’s not nibbled or pooed since 11am. I’ve just tried to get her to nibble again and she’s not interested.

We have another round of meds and syringe feeding at 2.30. This is day 4 now and I’m concerned how long this has been going on for. Come on Molly.

Hang in there. Producing poo shows she does not have a complete obstruction. Can you get some fluids into her? How is her body temp? My stasis bunnies sometimes required me to heat a pad (I warmed it every few hours) or you can put her near a bottle of warm water. Sending you and Molly more vibes.

I had to syringe feed one of my rabbits for 11 days, night and day, after a vet made an error with medication. But I got him through stasis and much worse. You can do it.

Have you any Infacol? It can sometimes help to move things along a bit, and passing panful gas has got to be a good thing.

Hugs x

I should mention that some motility meds may work better if given a short while before syringe feeding. It may be my imagination, but I think my bunny accepted syringe feed better after getting motility meds.

Back