• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Yay, possible dentist visit...

Orenoko

Mama Doe
So after Teddy's upset tum yesterday, I checked him over this evening to make sure his bum was clean (it is, but still not giving veg as I found one loose stool). I noticed a bit of dribble on his face. He used to dribble a bit when he first got his head tilt because of the facial paralysis but hasn't done so for months. One of his front teeth is fractionally longer than the others, so now I'm paranoid he's got dental issues.

Going to make an appointment for the vet tomorrow to have him checked over. He's eating fine - he eats more slowly than Lilac because of his tilt but definitely gets his share. I'm praying it's not a dental problem because he's a bit of a special case and I've always worried he wouldn't cope with an anaesthetic if he ever needed one. I don't know if they could do dental work if needed under sedation rather than GA? I really hope I'm overreacting and that he's fine! He's been through so much in the last year that he just deserves to be healthy and well [emoji17]

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

So after Teddy's upset tum yesterday, I checked him over this evening to make sure his bum was clean (it is, but still not giving veg as I found one loose stool). I noticed a bit of dribble on his face. He used to dribble a bit when he first got his head tilt because of the facial paralysis but hasn't done so for months. One of his front teeth is fractionally longer than the others, so now I'm paranoid he's got dental issues.

Going to make an appointment for the vet tomorrow to have him checked over. He's eating fine - he eats more slowly than Lilac because of his tilt but definitely gets his share. I'm praying it's not a dental problem because he's a bit of a special case and I've always worried he wouldn't cope with an anaesthetic if he ever needed one. I don't know if they could do dental work if needed under sedation rather than GA? I really hope I'm overreacting and that he's fine! He's been through so much in the last year that he just deserves to be healthy and well [emoji17]

I'm sorry that Teddy's still giving you cause for concern. I too am hoping that he hasn't got dental issues :(

I think it's a very good idea to get him checked over at the vets. I hope he gets on OK.

If it's the front teeth they wouldn't need to sedate.

Is one of the front teeth being longer a normal occurrence for him?

In cases like this, I am so pleased to have at least two very rabbit savvy vets who can carry out 'conscious dentals' as there have been times when they wouldn't anaesthetise my rabbits for dental treatment because of the very high risk. This is for back teeth - hopefully Teddy's back teeth aren't affected?

Thanks both, it's not normal for him, I last looked at his teeth a week or so ago and they were nicely even. He's never had problems to my knowledge, although is a rescue so who knows what happened in his past! I'm keeping everything crossed. He's actually a very good patient and very tolerant (I don't think he's had much choice!) so I hope if he does need treatment we could try it without GA. Hope I'm just being paranoid, it sounds awful but I automatically go to worst case scenario with him because I nearly lost him earlier this year. Will update tomorrow evening after we've seen the vet.

Thanks both, it's not normal for him, I last looked at his teeth a week or so ago and they were nicely even. He's never had problems to my knowledge, although is a rescue so who knows what happened in his past! I'm keeping everything crossed. He's actually a very good patient and very tolerant (I don't think he's had much choice!) so I hope if he does need treatment we could try it without GA. Hope I'm just being paranoid, it sounds awful but I automatically go to worst case scenario with him because I nearly lost him earlier this year. Will update tomorrow evening after we've seen the vet.

Good luck with that :)

Hopefully a little trim of the front teeth, with him awake, will be all that it takes to get things back to normal :)

Just back from the vet and a dental is required. His front teeth on the "down" side of his face are slightly overgrown, the vet had a look in his mouth and he has a small ulcer on his tongue on the same side. So we think over time he's chewed more on the other side and it's led to the issues he has now.

I discussed my reservations about an anaesthetic, the vet gave him a thorough check over and says he's healthy (other than having a head at an angle of course!). He's also gained 200g which is FAB.

Booked him in for Monday, given he needs the back teeth done I've consented to the anaesthetic as I think it'll be less stressful for him. I hope I'm just being paranoid, the vet was really pleased with his body condition since she last saw him he's gained weight and I must remind myself that just because he looks odd doesn't mean he's about to keel over. He's at no greater risk than anyone else, so fingers crossed for him. I'm sending Lilac along with him for company as he does get stressed. She will not be amused [emoji23]

Just back from the vet and a dental is required. His front teeth on the "down" side of his face are slightly overgrown, the vet had a look in his mouth and he has a small ulcer on his tongue on the same side. So we think over time he's chewed more on the other side and it's led to the issues he has now.

I discussed my reservations about an anaesthetic, the vet gave him a thorough check over and says he's healthy (other than having a head at an angle of course!). He's also gained 200g which is FAB.

Booked him in for Monday, given he needs the back teeth done I've consented to the anaesthetic as I think it'll be less stressful for him. I hope I'm just being paranoid, the vet was really pleased with his body condition since she last saw him he's gained weight and I must remind myself that just because he looks odd doesn't mean he's about to keel over. He's at no greater risk than anyone else, so fingers crossed for him. I'm sending Lilac along with him for company as he does get stressed. She will not be amused [emoji23]

You are right, and these were exactly my thoughts.

He's probably stronger than a lot of buns, bless him!

It's only natural to be very protective. I am sure he'll be OK.
Vets are so very careful with anaesthetic :)

You are right, and these were exactly my thoughts.

He's probably stronger than a lot of buns, bless him!

It's only natural to be very protective. I am sure he'll be OK.
Vets are so very careful with anaesthetic :)
Thank you MightyMax! I'll be fretting all day cos that's what I'm like but I know he's in good hands. He can't manage without the dental so what will be will be.

I'm sorry that Teddy does need a dental, but the rest of the examination was really good news. It's great that he's put on weight (lots of treats eh ;)) and reassuring that apart from a slightly wonky head he's perfectly healthy :)

It's nice for him to have Lilac for company and I hope she manages to help with his stress.

I'm sorry that Teddy does need a dental, but the rest of the examination was really good news. It's great that he's put on weight (lots of treats eh ;)) and reassuring that apart from a slightly wonky head he's perfectly healthy :)

It's nice for him to have Lilac for company and I hope she manages to help with his stress.
The baby food has clearly worked [emoji1787]

Just hoping he's okay until Monday when he goes in, I've got metacam if he needs it but don't want him to go off his food because of any pain.

Back