• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bear has an upset tum!

Orenoko

Mama Doe
So I've come home tonight to find Teddy has an upset tum. The stools are long, dark and soft. Not super smooshy but there are enough of them to concern me. He seems okay in himself, is bright and just ate some nuggets. I've checked his bum and he's clean but will check again later.

I think this might be my fault, yesterday they had some fenugreek crunchies (new to them), veg, and readigrass along with their hay and nuggets. This morning they had nuggets but I mixed a bit of porridge in (not new but a very rare treat) and I gave them a carrot along with some spring greens. They don't normally get carrots but again I thought it would be a little treat! I think I've just overloaded him so blame myself.

Tonight it'll just be nuggets and hay, if I see any more evidence in the morning then I'll pop him to the vet. Is there anything else I can do or give to help keep him comfortable? I have some metacam but not sure if that's a good idea? I also have baby food but am worried about making things worse.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

So I've come home tonight to find Teddy has an upset tum. The stools are long, dark and soft. Not super smooshy but there are enough of them to concern me. He seems okay in himself, is bright and just ate some nuggets. I've checked his bum and he's clean but will check again later.

I think this might be my fault, yesterday they had some fenugreek crunchies (new to them), veg, and readigrass along with their hay and nuggets. This morning they had nuggets but I mixed a bit of porridge in (not new but a very rare treat) and I gave them a carrot along with some spring greens. They don't normally get carrots but again I thought it would be a little treat! I think I've just overloaded him so blame myself.

Tonight it'll just be nuggets and hay, if I see any more evidence in the morning then I'll pop him to the vet. Is there anything else I can do or give to help keep him comfortable? I have some metacam but not sure if that's a good idea? I also have baby food but am worried about making things worse.

Poor Teddy :( It sounds to me as though you're absolutely right and he's just had too many different things. If I had to guess I would say the likely culprit is the carrot :) I would do exactly as you are doing and just stick to loads of hay and a few nuggets. I don't think he will need the Metacam and I think you're right in that the baby food might make matters worse.

It's good that he's bright in himself and hopefully it will all have resolved itself by the morning.

Poor Teddy :( It sounds to me as though you're absolutely right and he's just had too many different things. If I had to guess I would say the likely culprit is the carrot :) I would do exactly as you are doing and just stick to loads of hay and a few nuggets. I don't think he will need the Metacam and I think you're right in that the baby food might make matters worse.

It's good that he's bright in himself and hopefully it will all have resolved itself by the morning.

Thanks, fingers crossed! I also have some critical care as well which I forgot about, he's not a massive fan but wonder if that'll help?

Have you got any Fibreplex or probiotic? I always find that helps my Snow when she has an upset tummy. If not, the hay diet overnight should hopefully make him feel better, and lots of cuddles of course :love:

Thanks, fingers crossed! I also have some critical care as well which I forgot about, he's not a massive fan but wonder if that'll help?

Tbh the food that will settle his stomach better than anything else is just simple hay, so I would just stick to that with a few nuggets.

Have you got any Fibreplex or probiotic? I always find that helps my Snow when she has an upset tummy. If not, the hay diet overnight should hopefully make him feel better, and lots of cuddles of course :love:
No I should probably order some in for future! Not sure he'll appreciate the cuddles but I can try lol

Tbh the food that will settle his stomach better than anything else is just simple hay, so I would just stick to that with a few nuggets.
Thanks, will do this and update in the morning.

Gosh what a delightful feast :D

I think Ted needs reining in at this point with a simple diet of pellets and hay and water for a day or so.

I doubt there will be any long term harm done :)

Hmmm so I got up this morning and can't find any more smooshy stools but only one normal one near where he was sitting, which could be him or could be Lilac. He's quieter than normal and hid in a box for a while which he never does. I've listened to his tum and I can't hear gurgling, it feels the same as Lilac's too. I hand fed him some pellets which he took. Decided to give him a little Metacam just in case he's in pain, I have to go to work but will call the vet this morning for an appointment later to have him looked over.

Well now I'm even more baffled, no sooner had I written my last post he perked right up and hopped down towards the kitchen looking for food. They're both currently tucking into their nuggets. Now I really don't know what to think?!

Wait till you get home and check him then. Hope he is back to normal now, and don't be so generous with the treats.

I hope his tummy settles by the time you get home, I’d stick to hay and a few pellets for a day or so as everyone has said. Some bunnies can’t seem to cope with fenugreek crunchies, a few people on here have found they have caused problems.

I hope his tummy settles by the time you get home, I’d stick to hay and a few pellets for a day or so as everyone has said. Some bunnies can’t seem to cope with fenugreek crunchies, a few people on here have found they have caused problems.
That's interesting, I hadn't heard that, thank you. My other half just sent me a message to say he's running around the house, maybe he was still sleepy when I got up [emoji23]

Definite slapped wrist for me, I need to stop thinking I'm being kind by giving them treats!

That's interesting, I hadn't heard that, thank you. My other half just sent me a message to say he's running around the house, maybe he was still sleepy when I got up [emoji23]

Definite slapped wrist for me, I need to stop thinking I'm being kind by giving them treats!

It's difficult when you see those little begging faces and you want to give them something.
Problem is, once you start they tend to mug you every time they see you, wanting more.

I'm afraid mine have to make do with a sprig or two of herbs each as a treat :lol:

I hope they continue to feel well and that you have no more problems.
Who said rabbits were easy pets? :roll:

Back