• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ranatidine and Emeprid - Help!

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hello,

I’m hoping to catch the attention of someone who knows about medicines.

The Vet gave me Baytril, Ranatidine and Emeprid for Bertie, and reading up on what each does, it seems Ranatidine and Emeprid do the same thing?

Have I misunderstood? Am I going mad?

Is is common to give both at the same time or am I overdosing him??

I’m panicking now!

Last edited:
hi :wave:

vets do give out both often, my stasis & dental bun had them running both for weeks at a time. they aren't the same, and you're not overdosing him so no worries.

ranitidine is the same for humans and rabbits I do believe, it decreases the stomach acid to stop any stomach inflammation and reduce the chance of ulcers in humans. I do believe it does the same for buns.

emeprid is to promote gut movement so that it doesn't slow down. usually given when a bun is in stasis to help get things working again. it also reduces the chance of a pet being sick, but rabbits can not be sick so that is null and void.

they're given together as they're very effective for a bun in stasis. one helps decrease acid, other gets things working again and back on track.

I hope this makes sense, I'm a bit tired atm :)

Oh My Gosh! Thank you BC!

*Phew* I almost had a heart attach here!

They both have metaclopramide in so I assumed they’re the same O_O

Hello,

I’m hoping to catch the attention of someone who knows about medicines.

The Vet gave me Baytril, Ranatidine and Emeprid for Bertie, and reading up on what each does, it seems Ranatidine and Emeprid do the same thing?

Have I misunderstood? Am I going mad?

Is is common to give both at the same time or am I overdosing him??

I’m panicking now!

It's quite OK for rabbits to have Ranitidine and Emeprid at the same time :)

Emeprid is a gut motility med, and Ranitidine (aka Zantac) is a stomach protectant.
Ranitidine *does* have some prokinetic properties, but they are not strong as emeprid and cisapride.

I hope that helps :)

no worries, I am very glad to be of help :)

its the one thing I do know, stasis buns, went through that with my very first rabbit so its all stuck in my head :lol:

I hope little bun is improving or improves very shortly. they can be such a worry!

Ranitidine is a different medication to Metaclopromide/Emeprid

Ranitidine is an oral drug that blocks the production of acid by acid-producing cells in the stomach. It belongs to a class of drugs called H2 (histamine-2) blockers that also includes cimetidine (Tagamet), nizatidine (Axid), and famotidine (Pepcid).

Ranitidine is a different medication to Metaclopromide/Emeprid

Ranitidine is an oral drug that blocks the production of acid by acid-producing cells in the stomach. It belongs to a class of drugs called H2 (histamine-2) blockers that also includes cimetidine (Tagamet), nizatidine (Axid), and famotidine (Pepcid).

Ah, I must have misunderstood. I was googling metaclopromide and Ranatidine came up o_O

#StressedBunnyMummy

He was poorly this morning but perked up and started nibbling by himself again. We’ve had toileting and begging for treats (yay!). He thumped at me after I made him take his medicines, which was a lovely sound :D

Ah, I must have misunderstood. I was googling metaclopromide and Ranatidine came up o_O

#StressedBunnyMummy

He was poorly this morning but perked up and started nibbling by himself again. We’ve had toileting and begging for treats (yay!). He thumped at me after I made him take his medicines, which was a lovely sound :D

I'm really glad things are looking up :)

Soothing hugs flying over :love:

Emeprid is metocloprimide and generally stimulates movement in the fore gut, ranitidine is the generic name for Zantac and is a hind gut stimulator. They are often used together to get the whole gut moving again.

How's Bertie doing this morning BB?

He’s doing much better, thank you for asking :)

He’s been jumping on furniture (a sure sign he’s feeling naughty), he ate some pellets on his own and he thumped V E R Y loudly when he realised it was medicine time <3

Today is feeling positive xx

He’s doing much better, thank you for asking :)

He’s been jumping on furniture (a sure sign he’s feeling naughty), he ate some pellets on his own and he thumped V E R Y loudly when he realised it was medicine time <3

Today is feeling positive xx

I'm so glad. You must be very relieved :)

Back