• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Considering bonding Maple and Dennis

loobers25

Warren Veteran
This weekend. Can anyone recommend a puppy pen or any one have one I can borrow?

I think I'll go for a forage Friday then spend the weekend with them

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Good luck! I use a medium sized dog crate to start bonding smaller groups/pairs, and it's usually worked out well.

I think that’s a good idea. Dennis seems a laid back bun, fingers crossed it all goes well.

I used a dog crate but I found it hard to intervene if needed, a puppy pen would probably be better.

I have an assortment of pen panels - I don't know how many you would need. I bond in a very small area to start with. I have two dog crates too but it is more difficult to intervene then.

I am free all day Saturday at the moment if you want a hand.

XX

I'm glad you all think it's a good idea. Dennis is a groomer and Maple requests to be groomed so hopefully it will be ok. I just want this stress over with now

When I was bonding Lillian and Henry, I was given some very useful guidance from Wendy at Essex rabbit rescue who suggested using a pet carrier, putting the 2 buns in, then go for a drive - about 20 mins. Come back, leave them in the carrier, have a cup of coffee or whatever, and see how they are. I can't say it wasn't stressful- especially the first few times, but I did it 4 or 5 times and I think it went some way to helping them to bond. Lillian is very demanding on her being groomed and thankfully Henry knows his place and obliges. I hope very much you find a way to bond maple and Dennis and I'll follow the updates with interest.

When I was bonding Lillian and Henry, I was given some very useful guidance from Wendy at Essex rabbit rescue who suggested using a pet carrier, putting the 2 buns in, then go for a drive - about 20 mins. Come back, leave them in the carrier, have a cup of coffee or whatever, and see how they are. I can't say it wasn't stressful- especially the first few times, but I did it 4 or 5 times and I think it went some way to helping them to bond. Lillian is very demanding on her being groomed and thankfully Henry knows his place and obliges. I hope very much you find a way to bond maple and Dennis and I'll follow the updates with interest.
I personally don't like this way of bonding, but I think everyone's gotta judge what's best for their buns :)

Hope their bond works out, sounds like it'll be a good idea :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I don't like stress bonding. In the case of Maple & Dennis I suspect it wouldn't work as Dennis shows no fear travelling so there'd be a confidence difference compared to back home. Hope that makes sense

I didn't quite use stress bonding, but as I have a catit cabrio I used the carrier as space for bonding, small, open topped & neutral, so I could intervene easier :) the bath was too big (avoidance or full on fighting), but Luna is blind so I had to work around her. in the bath she would attack Orion I think out of fear - as something was moving that she couldn't see. in the carrier they had no choice but to be next to one another, so she could feel him at all times.

ofc Luna is more of a special case :) but it worked for having a smaller space, and I didn't have too much to work with!!

I hope all goes well :D xx

I don't like stress bonding. In the case of Maple & Dennis I suspect it wouldn't work as Dennis shows no fear travelling so there'd be a confidence difference compared to back home. Hope that makes sense

I have to say I agree. Also, if I remember correctly Maple tends to get quite stressed when she feels trapped in a small space and lashes out. I think she’s one of those buns who would fare better being bonded in a larger space.

Good luck with the bonding Loobers x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say I agree. Also, if I remember correctly Maple tends to get quite stressed when she feels trapped in a small space and lashes out. I think she’s one of those buns who would fare better being bonded in a larger space.

Good luck with the bonding Loobers x

I also agree. It's not something I would feel happy doing.

I didn't quite use stress bonding, but as I have a catit cabrio I used the carrier as space for bonding, small, open topped & neutral, so I could intervene easier :) the bath was too big (avoidance or full on fighting), but Luna is blind so I had to work around her. in the bath she would attack Orion I think out of fear - as something was moving that she couldn't see. in the carrier they had no choice but to be next to one another, so she could feel him at all times.

ofc Luna is more of a special case :) but it worked for having a smaller space, and I didn't have too much to work with!!

I hope all goes well :D xx
Also wouldn't use a bath, I know people like them because it's hard to get a grip but I think it's dangerous and have heard of buns hurting themselves badly :(

I like puppy pens or a open top cage, I think a carrier is too small personally..

But again, I think it's figuring out what works for your specific situation :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

My plan is to use a pen and increase the space over time. Lots of fun activities like foraging and hidden forage toys. Need to get some willow! Also planning various pens one upstairs for bed time and one downstairs so I can watch TV etc and keep my hawky-hooman eyes on them. It's going to be fun and relaxing....she says!

Last edited:
I have an assortment of pen panels - I don't know how many you would need. I bond in a very small area to start with. I have two dog crates too but it is more difficult to intervene then.

I am free all day Saturday at the moment if you want a hand.

XX
I don't know if you would want (and don't feel like you have to) but maybe you could bunny sit for a few hours so me and Joe could get some lunch? Take our mind of stuff for a while, I remember last time being stuck in the house that long drove me a bit bonkers

Last edited:
I’ve got one of these you could borrow (no cover), although it’s not brilliant on hard flooring as the bits that hold it together are meant to go in the ground outside. I used it in the summer for bonding Phillip and Snowy before he got ill and we stopped. But there to borrow if needed!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0064N...t=&hvlocphy=9045794&hvtargid=pla-420330676486

Thanks Phillip. I'll get Joe to look at the measurements when I get home. Do you think any heads could get stuck between the bars? I know that's probably ott question xx

Thanks Phillip. I'll get Joe to look at the measurements when I get home. Do you think any heads could get stuck between the bars? I know that's probably ott question xx

No, Phillip can only get his nose through and that’s it! I think it’s the same measurements as the amazon listing though I’d have to double check. Only problem is height - if Dennis and Maple are jumpers like Phillip you’d have to watch they didn’t try and make an escape of it haha.

Back