• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed housing

xkellyx

New Kit
Hi guys.

I originally posted about outdoor housing by using a hutch and run however since then I've bought a 6x8 shed which I've painted and put up. It's now ready for the inside to be started. I don't get my buns until October so I've got a few weeks to make their home lovely. Just wondering...

1)what sort of things do your buns love or that you recommend to give them Enrichment in the shed?
2) would you recommend a hutch in there or a hide for the buns to sleep and hide away in?
3)im thinking of getting the bunnies that lunch subscription but is everything in the boxes actually safe and good for the bunnies?
4)do you have a light in sheds for nighttime especially as winter is round the corner and the nights are getting darker earlier? And do you close the main door at night?

I'm going to be lining the floor with lino and the walls with plywood with a mesh door behind the main door, also meshing the windows but so there is room for perspex in the cold weather.

Sorry for all the questions and thank you.

This sounds like a lovely home-to-be! Yes to closing the door at night. I don't line mine with anything now, did my first shed but found it isn't really necessary. But that is up to you. Is it T&G? Windows meshed with spare Perspex for the colder weather sounds great and an inner mesh door. Perfect! Everyone fills their sheds with different things. Castles, boxes but watch out for cardboard being eaten, hay racks with big litter trays. Some put in levels, either you can build your own if you are cleaver at that sort of thing, or a have a man, or put in different pieces of furniture for the bunnies to jump on. A lot put a hutch in but it's not vital. There's lots of lovely things on line - Small Paws Playtime is very popular. Can't help you with the treats but check if they have seeds in them, or corn, as you don't want those. There are lots of healthy treats out there. Just thought - Ikea do lovely little beds, loads of folk have them and the bunnies like them. I think they are really for dolls.

Ours are in a 4x4 playhouse, they've 24/7 access to a run off that (plus more areas connected with tubes, we've basically built them an open-air warren!), meshed windows with Perspex inserts, insulated inside and insulated roof (also sun reflection). They have a cat tree except when it's wet, stools, hanging basket and window box for hay, two massive litter trays, box or carrier as a winter hideout, windowsill to sit on, big dog water bowl, and balls. Mine tend not to use hidey-holes but sleep either at the end of the tube that leads to the run or on the windowsill :)

I use a shed for foster rabbits - the most used thing in there is the shelf at the window. I think it’s been the favourite sleeping place of every single foster placement I’ve had, regardless of how cold it is and how many cosier options I give them! I also have a couple of hides on ground level and use a plastic pet carrier stuffed with straw for warmth in the colder weather - a small hutch would be a good option for them to use as a hide and / or sleeping area. I have used drainage pipe as an optional way for them to get to the shelves, works well with fosters as they don’t all have the confidence or ability to hop up and down the levels but you’ll get to know whether your bunnies would like this if not. Other than that they have the basics (underbed storage box for a litter tray, hay rack, food & water bowls) plus usually something like willow balls or sticks, forage bags or some other homemade boredom breaker. Oh and a cat flap out to the run. I don’t have a light in there, no electricity to the shed. Can’t help with the subscription I’ve never used these as I prefer to choose the treats and forage I buy.

Sounds like your shed is going to be ideal for your bunnies :D

Thank you all.

I've decided on adding the pets at home bluebell hutch aswell. It will always be open even at night so they can do as they please at night but I just thought it's two tiers so IF they start fighting before they're old enough for spaying then I can always separate if it comes to it, it's also off the ground so will be warmer and I can pack it with straw to keep them nice and warm when it gets colder and the top of the hutch ill be able to store some plastic boxes for their food and spare bowls and bottles etc. I'm going to block of the little gap at the side of the hutch (shed is 6ft wide, hutch is 5ft wide) then I can store a brush, mop etc and also means I then won't have to board that side of the shed off.

I've been adding things to a wishlist earlier for when I get paid, I've added dried dandelion, plantain, nettle, dried banana, apple and willow twigs and dried apple leaves, some tubes, a maze toy that you stuff with treats or herbs/grass, litter trays (they're only 5 weeks old and I've been to see them tonight and they're already using their litter trays!), a treat ball, willow balls, bowls for food and water and a spare water bottle just incase, Timothy hay, redigrass and science selective junior food. I need to get a brush and some scissors/clippers. One of them appears to have long hair but they're not sure where it's come from as there's no long hair in the breed line haha. Can anyone recommend a good brush? Would you cut back hair around bunnies eyes so it doesn't keep going in her eyes?

Are you getting 2 sisters? The Bluebell hutch is very popular and the bunnies should be very happy. You shouldn't need to groom them for a while but the Cat Zoom Groom is highly recommended. Do you know about getting them vaccinated? If not there is lots of information on this Forum or just ask and there is usually someone around to help you.

Yeah two sisters. I've spoken to the vet and he is happy to spay them at 5-6 months as he finds 4 months is too risky. I would have them neutered anyway because of health risks later in life. They are having myxi combo vaccination then two weeks later they'll have the rvhd2. Is it best to gave the myxi one as soon as I get them at 8 weeks? The lady I'm getting them from said the buns will effectively outgrow the vaccination at 10 weeks so they would need a booster so it's up to me whether I do them at 8 weeks or wait until 10 weeks? They will have a health check up and vaccinations yearly.
The one with longer hair will need a bit of a brush daily when I get her as even now her hair is growing quite long and quick around her eyes.

Thanks for your help 😊

Someone else will be able to answer your query re the vaccinations, if no-one comes along you could make another thread asking for advice. Yes, I agree with 5 - 6 months for spaying. 2 sisters might be a bit difficult once their hormones come into play. Female rabbits have one thing on their mind, to have babies which makes them territorial. Having said that I have 2 sisters still together at about 9 nine years old but it is not the norm. They have outlived 2 boys that they lived with.

I'm hoping that with them being sisters and already bonded they will be okay but I guess it just depends on their hormones. I will get them spayed as soon as I can so I will ask my vet to do a health check at 5 months and if all is okay for him to spay them then. If I have to separate them then that's what I'll do and try and rebond after spaying, if not then I'll just have to keep them separate and take them to a rescue centre or back to the breeder to see if we can bond them with neutered males. Fingers crossed haha.

Back