• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trying to get gut stasis bun to eat

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

One of my rabbits, Hamilton hasn't eaten since last night. He was perfectly normal yesterday but this morning he wouldn't come down for breakfast. We went to the vet in the afternoon, had injections etc and now he's on metacam and randititine. He still isn't eating though. Should I feed him with a syringe? I have critical care, thinking I could mix it with banana and mushed pellets. I'm very worried for my boy.

I've been told that he should have an emergency dental tomorrow if he doesn't pick up. The vet looked at his mouth and said it looks okay overall but it's hard to see the back teeth.

Hi everyone,

One of my rabbits, Hamilton hasn't eaten since last night. He was perfectly normal yesterday but this morning he wouldn't come down for breakfast. We went to the vet in the afternoon, had injections etc and now he's on metacam and randititine. He still isn't eating though. Should I feed him with a syringe? I have critical care, thinking I could mix it with banana and mushed pellets. I'm very worried for my boy.

I've been told that he should have an emergency dental tomorrow if he doesn't pick up. The vet looked at his mouth and said it looks okay overall but it's hard to see the back teeth.

Yes feed him with a syringe. I mix pellets or critical care with Ella's Kitchen or some other organic baby food pouch - fruit or veggie.

I hope he picks up.

Have you tried dandelion greens?

Yeah, I've tried all kinds of plants - brambles, herbs, kale, spinach etc. I just syringe fed him banana and mushed pellets with critical care and he had quite a lot of it. So I'm hoping he might improve. Fingers crossed for him.

Yeah, I've tried all kinds of plants - brambles, herbs, kale, spinach etc. I just syringe fed him banana and mushed pellets with critical care and he had quite a lot of it. So I'm hoping he might improve. Fingers crossed for him.

Do you have Infacol?

If so, give one ml every hour for three doses.

It's absolutely fine to give alongside other meds from the vet, and isn't absorbed into the body. It just helps the painful wind to pass, as with babies. If Hamilton gets cold or lethargic, you should ring the vet x

Going through the same thing at this exact moment with Coco although she has just started to eat, but I sympathise all the same!

Good luck with Hamilton x

I am glad he took the critical care well; and that your vet prescribed meds. If he is not drinking water, you may also want to slowly syringe water too.

Thanks for the vibes everyone. Despite the syringe feeding critical care last night he is still looking bloated. Hard to say if he has passed pellets because he's kept with two companions but I'm going to assume no because he still seems very ill. Will be calling the vet first thing this morning to take him back. Honestly, I was just scared I'd find him gone this morning :cry:

Sorry to hear Angie that you're going through the same, hope you're seeing improvements with your bun? Tonibun, I have no idea what caused it. When he was put to bed around 9.00pm the night before he was totally fine. The next morning we found him ill. The vet suggested there could be dental problems too far back that we can't see and that it could be the cause.

Did the vet exclude a blockage? I think I would be taking him back to the vet, especially if you are not sure that he has had any output. Sending him lots of vibes. I hope that he improves soon.

Did the vet exclude a blockage? I think I would be taking him back to the vet, especially if you are not sure that he has had any output. Sending him lots of vibes. I hope that he improves soon.

I agree with Omi, I would take him back and ask for him to be checked for this, you should check with the vet before any (more) syringe feeding to ensure he does not have a blockage.

Thanks for the vibes everyone. Despite the syringe feeding critical care last night he is still looking bloated. Hard to say if he has passed pellets because he's kept with two companions but I'm going to assume no because he still seems very ill. Will be calling the vet first thing this morning to take him back. Honestly, I was just scared I'd find him gone this morning :cry:

Sorry to hear Angie that you're going through the same, hope you're seeing improvements with your bun? Tonibun, I have no idea what caused it. When he was put to bed around 9.00pm the night before he was totally fine. The next morning we found him ill. The vet suggested there could be dental problems too far back that we can't see and that it could be the cause.

I am sure your vet excluded a blockage on the first visit, but when you go back, do remember to ask for a blood glucose test as this may give some indication. Also to the his temperature.

I'm thinking of you x

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre)

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

Also:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...e_of_blood_glucose_measurement_in_pet_rabbits

Thanks for the advice everyone. We went back today and the vet advised that he has an emergency dental, because there is some soreness in the mouth but it was too hard to see the extent of it without him being put under.

I trust that my vet knows what he's doing and hope that the best course of action is being taken. More good vibes appreciated as I am of course very worried!

I am sure you must be worried, but your Vet was very good before so trust he is doing the right thing. Please let us know how he is as we will be worrying too.

Back