• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with wet poo

Elop

Warren Scout
So I have Charlie a few spring greens last night.
Just checked his bum and I wouldn’t say he has diarrhoea but he certainly has more mouldy gooey poo (not normal cecotropes ). He is totally fine in himself and is playing outside. I’ve given him some readigrass and dried leaves and hay. I thought fibrous stuff might help. I won’t feed him greens again but is it likely spring greens caused it? I’ve cleaned his bum. What else should I do? I’m glad I didn’t give him too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked his bum and I wouldn’t say he has diarrhoea but he certainly has more mouldy gooey poo (not normal cecotropes ). He is totally fine in himself and is playing outside. I’ve given him some readigrass and dried leaves and hay. I thought fibrous stuff might help. I won’t feed him greens again but is it likely spring greens caused it? I’ve cleaned his bum. What else should I do? I’m glad I didn’t give him too much.

It may well be the greens that caused the problem if he has never had them before. Making sure that his bum is clean and dry is very important as Rabbits with a mucky bum are at higher risk of Flystrike

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/flystrike/

Personally I'd just keep him on a hay only diet for 24 hours. I'd also do several bum checks rather than the usual twice a day routine. Bramble leaves can also be helpful if you have access to any. If he produces more 'wet poo' and/or if he shows any signs of 'not being himself' I'd contact the Vet for advice.

It may well be the greens that caused the problem if he has never had them before. Making sure that his bum is clean and dry is very important as Rabbits with a mucky bum are at higher risk of Flystrike

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/flystrike/

Personally I'd just keep him on a hay only diet for 24 hours. I'd also do several bum checks rather than the usual twice a day routine. Bramble leaves can also be helpful if you have access to any. If he produces more 'wet poo' and/or if he shows any signs of 'not being himself' I'd contact the Vet for advice.

Thanks I’ll bring him so he isn’t eating grass then. I’ve cleaned him up but will keep checking on him.

It's quite possibly just a bit too much too soon. You could reintroduce tiny portions later on.
Spring greens are a staple of many rabbits' diets, especially during the winter when forage is more difficult to find.

Perhaps try him on a very small piece of kale instead?

It's quite possibly just a bit too much too soon. You could reintroduce tiny portions later on.
Spring greens are a staple of many rabbits' diets, especially during the winter when forage is more difficult to find.

Perhaps try him on a very small piece of kale instead?

He eats kale and water cress with no problems and no reaction. I’m wondering if there is anything else he has. I’ll check if my husband has given him a treat I don’t know of

He eats kale and water cress with no problems and no reaction. I’m wondering if there is anything else he has. I’ll check if my husband has given him a treat I don’t know of

Greens are usually really well tolerated, unless the rabbit has an existing problem with certain foods - usually fruit.

Have you tried forage for him?

Greens are usually really well tolerated, unless the rabbit has an existing problem with certain foods - usually fruit.

Have you tried forage for him?

Yes he loves his forage. The day before yesterday he was in the garden and there are fallen plums and apples. I wonder if he has scoffed that without me knowing. That was on sunday. Could that have done it? I have infacol, should I give him some?

What about readigrass is that ok to give as he will munch that. He has lovely hay but he doesn’t seem to want it

What about readigrass is that ok to give as he will munch that. He has lovely hay but he doesn’t seem to want it

Yea readigrass is fine :)

Hope he feels better soon x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yes he loves his forage. The day before yesterday he was in the garden and there are fallen plums and apples. I wonder if he has scoffed that without me knowing. That was on sunday. Could that have done it? I have infacol, should I give him some?

Oh do you suspect he has eaten apples or plums? :(

Is he eating normally? You said he's off his hay? (is this usual?)

Thank you. He is very fine but VERY cross as I have him a very shallow bum bath.

Yeaaa rabbits are good at being cross when all you're doing is trying to help them [emoji38]

Yes he isn’t a great hay eater hence I keep readigrass in. He likes hay with flowers in so I also get that. If I gave him pellets now he would eat them and he was eating grass outside. I wonder if he has OD’d on the fallen fruit. I might give him some infacol. Or maybe I should see how he is now he is all clean and just with fibre foods.

Yeaaa rabbits are good at being cross when all you're doing is trying to help them [emoji38]

He looks so p*****ed off. He is happily eating his readigrass through.

Yes he isn’t a great hay eater hence I keep readigrass in. He likes hay with flowers in so I also get that. If I gave him pellets now he would eat them and he was eating grass outside. I wonder if he has OD’d on the fallen fruit. I might give him some infacol. Or maybe I should see how he is now he is all clean and just with fibre foods.

Ah I see - maybe, I'd be a bit concerned about pips in apples (may just be me tho) and I think plums are bad, because of the stone?

If he is eating readigrass and bits of hay like normal I'd see how he goes, if he seems okay in himself, and that last time he had access to the fruit was Sunday.

Yes it was Sunday when he ventured down the very bottom of the garden and the fruit is there. He seems very well in himself though and ran to me when I shook the pellets (didn’t give him any).

Yes it was Sunday when he ventured down the very bottom of the garden and the fruit is there. He seems very well in himself though and ran to me when I shook the pellets (didn’t give him any).

So he's a secret fruit scoffer! I was surprised it was the greens, though not out of the question ...

Fruit definitely can do what's happened here :)

Readigrass is absolutely fine to free feed. However, if he is refusing hay, it maybe he's getting too much other 'tasty' stuff. Can you chop some of the hay and mix it into the readigrass? Or mix readigrass in with his hay?

Infacol is good stuff, and won't do any harm, but it's for releasing gas in cases of stasis.
If he's not eating due to excess gas, then use it by all means :)

So he's a secret fruit scoffer! I was surprised it was the greens, though not out of the question ...

Fruit definitely can do what's happened here :)

Readigrass is absolutely fine to free feed. However, if he is refusing hay, it maybe he's getting too much other 'tasty' stuff. Can you chop some of the hay and mix it into the readigrass? Or mix readigrass in with his hay?

Infacol is good stuff, and won't do any harm, but it's for releasing gas in cases of stasis.
If he's not eating due to excess gas, then use it by all means :)

Thank you. Yes I think he might get too many taste tit bits. I’m going to be more strict and get him chopping his hay more than anything else. I won’t give infacol though as he is eating which is good. I’ll check his bum again shortly. When he isn’t quite so mad at me. I find the bigger buns so much more sensitive than the little ones.

Thank you. Yes I think he might get too many taste tit bits. I’m going to be more strict and get him chopping his hay more than anything else. I won’t give infacol though as he is eating which is good. I’ll check his bum again shortly. When he isn’t quite so mad at me. I find the bigger buns so much more sensitive than the little ones.

The weather's cooled off a bit, but there's still quite a risk of fly-strike, as I'm sure you know.

It's very tempting to give buns things that they so obviously love! I am very strict with mine and they get no fruit at all. Fresh grass should be OK if he's used to it, and mine always view that as a big treat :D

My Snowy gets the same symptoms if she eats any carrot, kale and a few others. Spring greens she can tolerate on some days but not on others! She is a funny little thing.

Hoping your lovely bunny feels better soon xx

Back