• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help,please .respiratory infection :(

traceymadigan

Warren Scout
One of my rabbits started sneezing and has a really bad wheeze and was given baytril and meta cam on Friday by the vets ,she was eating ok but today isn’t really interested and now my other rabbit has started sneezing also :( , I brought them in from thier walk in dog kennel into an unheated on fri room so no draughts and I can keep a closer eye on them ,did I do the right thing as now I am worried sick ,I will be taking them both to the vets later again as my other rabbit will now need treating also .
Is there anything else I can do and what’s the prognosis with this sort of thing ,clover is estimated at approx 9 years old and she is the worst atm x

I would get them both to the vet urgently. They may also need additional feeding at home, and maybe meds to keep their guts moving if they are not eating normally. Giving them the option of somewhere warm (eg with heat pads) is also a good idea if they are not well.

Strong smelling food may entice them to eat eg fresh herbs.
There are some decongestant drops (eg Karvol) that can be used in the vicinity of rabbits. Put a few drops on a tissue near where they spend a lot of time - but not where they can be eaten.

Yes I will syringe feeding her if I can’t tempt her with anything ,up to now she has been eating fine ,am I best to keep them inside then do you think ? I will be taking both back to the vets later today ,clover has been on her meds since fri but no improvement on her breathing :( ,thanks for replying x

Given her age, I would also have brought her and her partner inside if they are happy about the change of scenery. I find it much easier to give regular feeds, and it is getting chillier outside. Do you have any snugglesafe heat pads? They can have a warm spot if they need it - poorly bunnies will find it harder to stay warm, but should have the option.

One of my rabbits started sneezing and has a really bad wheeze and was given baytril and meta cam on Friday by the vets ,she was eating ok but today isn’t really interested and now my other rabbit has started sneezing also :( , I brought them in from thier walk in dog kennel into an unheated on fri room so no draughts and I can keep a closer eye on them ,did I do the right thing as now I am worried sick ,I will be taking them both to the vets later again as my other rabbit will now need treating also .
Is there anything else I can do and what’s the prognosis with this sort of thing ,clover is estimated at approx 9 years old and she is the worst atm x

I'm sorry to hear this :)

It's a worry to be sure, but antibiotics don't often his the spot. Sometimes nebulising the antibiotics can be more effective (though I've always found nebulising with saline to be extremely effective) as they can then reach better.

The antibiotics can also be changed to Sulphatrim (Septrin) if Baytril doesn't work.

The other thing to try is Bisolovn, which is a mucolytic and thins the mucous and so helps it to pass more easily.

There's some info here I've found very helpful, if you have time to read it:

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/respira_main.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Illness/Pneumonia/Pneumon_en.htm

Wishing you many good healing vibes for your rabbit x

I had forgotten about Bisolvon. It works well at clearing out the nasal passages, etc. by making the discharges thinner and easier to sneeze out. It can be used with antibiotics, etc. It is a white powder that you give a very small amount orally - so on soft / wet food, or syringe fed in water or puree.

Thankyou for all the help ,I appreciate it ,I will ask my vet about the things that were mentioned ,clover is eating again anyway ,I think maybe she was sulking as she had had her meds lol

I am worried about keeping them in for too long as I know they will not be able to go back out then but they are in my porch at the moment as it’s the only place available but it’s not big enough long term x

Thankyou for all the help ,I appreciate it ,I will ask my vet about the things that were mentioned ,clover is eating again anyway ,I think maybe she was sulking as she had had her meds lol

Just a word of caution if you should have to syringe feed either of your Rabbits. Extreme care is needed when administering anything orally to a Rabbit with compromised respiration as the risk of them aspirating the feed is greater than may normally be the case.

I hope that both of your Rabbits will soon be on the road to a full recovery x

I had forgotten about Bisolvon. It works well at clearing out the nasal passages, etc. by making the discharges thinner and easier to sneeze out. It can be used with antibiotics, etc. It is a white powder that you give a very small amount orally - so on soft / wet food, or syringe fed in water or puree.

Yes it's extremely cheap but very effective :)

Just wanted to update to say clover had improved in the antibiotics but then went downhill and had to be put to sleep yesterday as she could hardly breathe :(

Back