• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning dirty feet

Alicia

Mama Doe
Sorry this isn’t very nice but my bunnies have a lovely habit of sitting in their litter trays. I clean the litter trays every day but their feet are pee stained. They are always sat in their litter trays, is there’s something I can use to clean their feet?

This works pretty good if your rabbit is very calm and likes to be messed with. Put equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray their feet then work in in with a warm wash cloth and add some pure cornstarch and continuing to work it all in with the wash cloth rinse. Keep gently rubbing and rinsing the cloth then use a soft brush once dry to gently brush. I did this method to Julie when she was was paralysed and it worked great but should work on feet too if your rabbits will let you do this. Her vet suggested this so she would not get urine scald nd I did not have to totally wet her fur.

Do you put hay in their litter trays as this would prevent them getting their feet dirty.

Oh I also meant to suggest a way to prevent this from happening once clean. My suggestion is to put a layer of newspaper in the tray then a layer of the horse pellet litter as this is super absorbent then the hay on top to hide the pellets just in case they mistake the litter pellets as food as Julie did. This prevents puddling of urine right away.

Oh I also meant to suggest a way to prevent this from happening once clean. My suggestion is to put a layer of newspaper in the tray then a layer of the horse pellet litter as this is super absorbent then the hay on top to hide the pellets just in case they mistake the litter pellets as food as Julie did. This prevents puddling of urine right away.

I use newspaper in the litter trays of Madelyn (her long hair catches other litter materials) and Raven (he eats litter materials which worries me). Madelyn is mostly white, so she will pick up newsprint on her feet. Raven is black and he does not sit in his box as much as Madelyn. My only problem is getting enough newspaper because the print edition is not very thick now that they have digital editions for subscribers. My other bunnies have wood shavings in their litter boxes. Some types of shavings are not recommended for bunnies, others are not very absorbent or are expensive.

I use newspaper in the litter trays of Madelyn (her long hair catches other litter materials) and Raven (he eats litter materials which worries me). Madelyn is mostly white, so she will pick up newsprint on her feet. Raven is black and he does not sit in his box as much as Madelyn. My only problem is getting enough newspaper because the print edition is not very thick now that they have digital editions for subscribers. My other bunnies have wood shavings in their litter boxes. Some types of shavings are not recommended for bunnies, others are not very absorbent or are expensive.

The horse type pellets that I use to use is safe for bunnies and very cheap and absorbent but I had to hide it because it looks like rabbit pellets. Could you use the newspaper then a thick layer of hay on top.

Back