• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What age should I separate Netherland dwarfs as I dont want babies

Hi

I wondered what age I should seperate my 2 Netherland dwarfs siblings one boy one girl, at present they are both nine weeks, I thought about twelve weeks to separate but have read maybe earlier, please let me know your thoughts

thanks

Hi

I wondered what age I should seperate my 2 Netherland dwarfs siblings one boy one girl, at present they are both nine weeks, I thought about twelve weeks to separate but have read maybe earlier, please let me know your thoughts

thanks
12-14 weeks probably - before 16 for sure - hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about can advise you [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply, I will ring the vet Monday as they very knowledgeable regarding rabbits. I was just worried if I should do it now there's no sign of anything descending and no sign of anything else so I hope it will all be ok.

thanks again

Thanks for your reply, I will ring the vet Monday as they very knowledgeable regarding rabbits. I was just worried if I should do it now there's no sign of anything descending and no sign of anything else so I hope it will all be ok.

thanks again
I got my babies at 12 weeks and they were together til 15 weeks - I wouldn't worry too much :)

Hi

thanks

Males can be sexually active as young as ten weeks of age!

Bear in mind smaller breeds mature quicker than larger breeds. The female may not be mature enough yet, but you don't want to take any chances.

Although it's unlikely that they would breed as young as that age, it might be wise to think about separating soon. He can probably be neutered around 12-16 weeks but remember that he can remain fertile for up to a month after castration, and some would even argue 6 weeks :)

Last edited:
Hi

thanks

I'd separate them no later than 12 weeks. When you call the Vet I'd also arrange to get your Rabbits Vaccinated. They will require TWO separate vaccinations to cover three viruses-Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2. These vaccines need to be given 2 weeks apart

The Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund provide a vast amount of information about Rabbits, here is a link about the great importance of vaccinating.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

These links are the data sheets for the vaccines

Nobivac Myxo-RHD
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

Filavac
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

Some Vets may use ERAVAC instead of Filavac, this is the Eravac data sheet
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/eravac-uk-datasheet-0.pdf

Some information about neutering/spaying here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/neutering/
https://www.goddardvetgroup.co.uk/do-rabbits-really-get-womb-cancer/

Good luck with your new additions :D

Males can be sexually active as young as ten weeks of age!

Bear in mind smaller breeds mature quicker than larger breeds. The female may not be mature enough yet, but you don't want to take any chances.

Although it's unlikely that they would breed as young as that age, it might be wise to think about separating soon. He can probably be neutered around 12-16 weeks but remember that he can remain fertile for up to a month after castration, and some would even argue 6 weeks :)
I'd separate them no later than 12 weeks. When you call the Vet I'd also arrange to get your Rabbits Vaccinated. They will require TWO separate vaccinations to cover three viruses-Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2. These vaccines need to be given 2 weeks apart

The Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund provide a vast amount of information about Rabbits, here is a link about the great importance of vaccinating.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

These links are the data sheets for the vaccines

Nobivac Myxo-RHD
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

Filavac
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

Some Vets may use ERAVAC instead of Filavac, this is the Eravac data sheet
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/eravac-uk-datasheet-0.pdf

Some information about neutering/spaying here :

https://www.goddardvetgroup.co.uk/do-rabbits-really-get-womb-cancer/

Good luck with your new additions :D
Listen to these over what I said originally :D

Mine was just based on what I did originally which probably wasn't correct [emoji38]

Listen to these over what I said originally :D

Mine was just based on what I did originally which probably wasn't correct [emoji38]

Grace, yours are larger rabbits and mature more slowly. They tend to be spayed later also.
Nethies are amazing little buns who can do magic tricks because they grow up so fast :D

One I new a good few years ago gave birth at *11 weeks*.
I wouldn't have believed it, but she was in Rescue and I was looking after her :lol:

Grace, yours are larger rabbits and mature more slowly. They tend to be spayed later also.
Nethies are amazing little buns who can do magic tricks because they grow up so fast :D

One I new a good few years ago gave birth at *11 weeks*.
I wouldn't have believed it, but she was in Rescue and I was looking after her [emoji38]
Ah I see! That's interesting, I seem to only own large buns [emoji38]

So smaller buns have to be neutered younger? What age roughly? :)

Also that's mad!

Ah I see! That's interesting, I seem to only own large buns [emoji38]

So smaller buns have to be neutered younger? What age roughly? :)

Also that's mad!

I would say youngest males at three months and females at four months. But best to wait longer if you can, and it also depends on weight and whether the plums have descended. The advice used to be that rabbits had to be over a kilo before neutering but with Nethies that's not always possible to achieve.

I always had bigs buns, until I got a little one :) I must say I am a 'large rabbit' person, if you know what I mean. I love them :) But these little ones have such heaps of personality they are too adorable not to have in your house :love:

I would say youngest males at three months and females at four months. But best to wait longer if you can, and it also depends on weight and whether the plums have descended. The advice used to be that rabbits had to be over a kilo before neutering but with Nethies that's not always possible to achieve.

I always had bigs buns, until I got a little one :) I must say I am a 'large rabbit' person, if you know what I mean. I love them :) But these little ones have such heaps of personality they are too adorable not to have in your house :love:
Ah that's good to know!

Yea I had mini lops which were fairly small (not like a nethie tho) but I seem to gravitate towards large buns. My boyfriend is in love with nethies tho.. Thinks they're so cute and look permanently ****** off [emoji38] so somehow I can see nethies in my future [emoji38][emoji38]

I’m definitely finding that im a big bunny person. Hoping I can make some progress with this little nethie. Obviously it’s only been a few days but my gosh he is so flighty. My Charlie is a gentle giant in comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m definitely finding that im a big bunny person. Hoping I can make some progress with this little nethie. Obviously it’s only been a few days but my gosh he is so flighty. My Charlie is a gentle giant in comparison

Yeaa my rexes are more skittish than my white buns - always have been and the rexes aren't exactly small haha! He probably just needs some time to settle in and learn to trust you :)

My white buns were so scared when I brought them home, used to cower from my hand, now they throw themselves at me [emoji38] you can turn it around, I'm sure :)

Yeaa my rexes are more skittish than my white buns - always have been and the rexes aren't exactly small haha! He probably just needs some time to settle in and learn to trust you :)

My white buns were so scared when I brought them home, used to cower from my hand, now they throw themselves at me [emoji38] you can turn it around, I'm sure :)

Yes I’m sure I can make some progress. I’ve mainly just left him alone but going to have him out tonight whilst I lay down and he can come and sniff me. He has moved into a better crate so I can leave the door open for him and get him hoping about a little pen to start with

Hi everyone thanks for your replies.

I'm still dithering over what to do about separating the babies they are 11 weeks now and are separated but I'm so worried about losing the bond they have as my vet wont neuter the boy until 16 weeks and the female 20 weeks so they will be apart for quite a while, my existing older rabbits bond has broken and cant seem to be repaired for no apparent reason, I don't want the younger ones to end up the same. Have I done the right thing the boy was seen on the female but not in the correct position on her side but I suppose it wont take long for him to realise. I have them in cages next to each other. I'd also like to know if i didn't have the female spayed and only the boy would he still make a nuisance of him self to her. I didn't like to see the state of my older female after the Op she seemed to take a while to recover that's why I'm thinking I may not get my female Netherland dwarf done.

Thanks for all your advice in advance

I would keep them separate now until your boy is neutered and recovered, and perhaps allow 3 or 4 weeks before re-introducing them. Then the female can be spayed when she is old enough. There should be no problem getting them back together as they are still very young.

Hi everyone thanks for your replies.

I'm still dithering over what to do about separating the babies they are 11 weeks now and are separated but I'm so worried about losing the bond they have as my vet wont neuter the boy until 16 weeks and the female 20 weeks so they will be apart for quite a while, my existing older rabbits bond has broken and cant seem to be repaired for no apparent reason, I don't want the younger ones to end up the same. Have I done the right thing the boy was seen on the female but not in the correct position on her side but I suppose it wont take long for him to realise. I have them in cages next to each other. I'd also like to know if i didn't have the female spayed and only the boy would he still make a nuisance of him self to her. I didn't like to see the state of my older female after the Op she seemed to take a while to recover that's why I'm thinking I may not get my female Netherland dwarf done.

Thanks for all your advice in advance

There's always a lot of concern and angst surrounding spaying a female bunny (for the owner).

Do you have a very savvy vet?

See it's really important for health reasons as well as behavioural that she is spayed.

Some info here:

Unspayed females are at very high risk of two potentially fatal conditions. uterine cancer and pyometra (infection of the uterus/womb). These can both be fatal.

Less commonly, they may develop mammary tumours

Some unspayed females are aggressive and territorial. Many have repeated phantom pregnancies and may growl, lunge at, scratch or bite their owners or other rabbits, particularly in spring and summer.

A good vet is essential.

I would keep them apart - remember the male will be fertile for around 4 - 6 weeks post castration :)

Thank you for your reply, what do you think went wrong with the older two as I've tried and tried re introducing them but there's a fight every time to the point the my boys ear was split last week so I haven't attempted it since. Its strange they were grooming each other then all of a sudden they don't get on.

Thank you for your reply, what do you think went wrong with the older two as I've tried and tried re introducing them but there's a fight every time to the point the my boys ear was split last week so I haven't attempted it since. Its strange they were grooming each other then all of a sudden they don't get on.

You're welcome :)

I've bonded literally hundreds of pairs (male/female) and never had a falling out so unless I were to meet them it's really impossible to say. There's such a host of reasons I expect. When I bond rabbits for people it's usually because I'm rehoming them to a new family, so I can then help them to understand the best way to keep their rabbits. I'm sorry I can't help you more here.

It wasn't Referred Aggression was it which made them fight? I am fairly sure you will be able to get them back together when you feel ready. Must be in a neutral area. Do you know if you have a very good rabbit Vet or make anew thread asking for recommendations in your area. I know you are scared of having your new female spayed but I have had a lot spayed and they have been fine.

Back