• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone know what these weeds are?

Graciee

Staff member
In a bunny pen, no one's eaten them but want to put them in pen. Are these safe? They're everywhere
b9e6a7678afacae979e9d4dfd3d2d57b.jpg
bf1cb443256b84c5825b6ed804a2f52a.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I'm not sure what these are. I don't think they are Broad Leaf Plantain, although I can see why you think they might be.

They look as though they would be difficult to pull up whole as the root looks firmly anchored. As there are so many, I would also think they have self-seeded from somewhere, so look for a mature plant that's recently gone up to seed.

Sorry, I'm not sure what these are. I don't think they are Broad Leaf Plantain, although I can see why you think they might be.

They look as though they would be difficult to pull up whole as the root looks firmly anchored. As there are so many, I would also think they have self-seeded from somewhere, so look for a mature plant that's recently gone up to seed.
That's okay thanks :) someone thinks daisy basal leaves for the smooth one, what do you think about that?

That's okay thanks :) someone thinks daisy basal leaves for the smooth one, what do you think about that?

It's possible, the leaf shape could certainly be that. I thought at first that the leaves were too pale for Daisy, but it could be just the colour rendition of the pic. Where they are growing is certainly common for Daisies. I would have thought you would have seen some evidence of them earlier in the year though.

Ah that's helpful thank you :) is ragwort toxic?

Yes. It has very unpleasant irritant qualities so would cause burning/swelling/stinging type effect. It's advisable to wear gloves when picking it and dispose of it so it can't grow/seed etc.

The first one is ragwort, definitely toxic- it causes liver damage- it’s questionable as to whether it can cause damage through skin, but best to use gloves when removing it. It’s a biennial, this looks like first year growth, the second year stretches out, grows tall and has yellow, daisy like flowers. It has a bitter taste but some animals develop a liking for it, however when it dries the bitterness is lost and animals are more likely to eat it, this is a big issue with hay. It has a cumulative effect, so the more an animal eats the more damage is caused to the liver ( especially).
The second picture looks like a daisy.

The first one is ragwort, definitely toxic- it causes liver damage- it’s questionable as to whether it can cause damage through skin, but best to use gloves when removing it. It’s a biennial, this looks like first year growth, the second year stretches out, grows tall and has yellow, daisy like flowers. It has a bitter taste but some animals develop a liking for it, however when it dries the bitterness is lost and animals are more likely to eat it, this is a big issue with hay. It has a cumulative effect, so the more an animal eats the more damage is caused to the liver ( especially).
The second picture looks like a daisy.
That's really helpful thanks :)

Back