• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female spayed separated from male lovesick?

Lucydeprez

New Kit
Hi all,
I had my female rabbit spayed on Monday, she was very sleepy all Monday night and Tuesday so I kept her indoors in a cage, she's normally outdoors all the time with my male neutered rabbit, they bonded so well. I've now put her back outdoors but in a separate cage to the male, when I placed her back in everything was fine and he was grooming her, I removed her again as she hasn't been eating properly so I can see what she is eating, then when I placed her back in with the male again he attacked her and made a horrible noise, she's back in the cage next to him but she's still not eating much and is always wanting to get to the male. Is she sad and not eating because she's not with the male? How can I get him close to her again? Shall I clean the hutch and put them both together in a clean hutch? I'm worried he'll go to attack her again

Thanks
Lucy

I would personally in view of what you have said, keep her separate now for another week to allow her to heal and get back to normal. Then you will need to re-introduce them in a neutral area before returning them to their original hutch. I had this happen once but they were fine eventually.

Im just worried worried about her as she's not eating, I'm building a shed for them this weekend for them to live in. I've put her in the run which is attached to his cage and shut him in the cage but he's not happy at all, he's trying to bite through the wire and running back and forth watching her

I would be worried by her continuing lack of interest in food. Did the vet give you painkillers for her? Does her wound look ok? If it were me, I would phone the vet when they open this morning.

Yes she's got painkillers and wound seems OK, she's got a vet check up this afternoon anyway, just tried putting them in neutral ground on the grass and she went to hump him so he went back on her grunting so separated them. They was so loving before I got her spayed

The aggression from your male bun might be because she isn’t back to being a 100% after her spay. Sadly bunnies can be pretty unsympathetic when their friend is under the weather and start to bully them. When my doe had severe gut stasis last year her husbun (despite the fact they were very closely bonded) lunged and grunted at her when she first fell ill. She made a full recovery and they went back to being the best of friends.

So my suggestion would be to wait until she’s fully better and then try rebonding again in the neutral area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back