• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding setback

Lagomorphine

Warren Scout
It was going really well and then it wasn't. I'm trying to bond a trio - Charlie and Willow are an established pair, Harvey is the new boy in the garden. They have been living side by side for about a month now. The initial open hostility has died down. To start with I let them out in the garden separately and it looked like Harvey was quite happy with Charlie and Willow, he snuggled down beside their run and they didn't seem to mind.

Then I let them out in the garden free range, closely supervising them. For about an hour and a half they were grazing together. There was occasional chasing but nothing more. Then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, Willow lunges at Harvey and within half a second they are a swirling ball of fur, and then, worst of all, Harvey screamed. I had never heard a rabbit scream and it was horrible. I immediately picked him up, took him in the house and gave him a thorough checkup for any injury but I couldn't find anything. No cut, wound, no bleeding. There is some fur on the grass where they had the fight but it's all clean, no blood.

Now he's just sitting in his run and looks very sad. I think he wants to join Charlie and Willow but they don't want him. He's a very lonely rabbit, he had no companion and whenever I saw him, he was sitting in a cage on his own, which is the main reason why I adopted him. Actually he has the easiest nature of all the three: Charlie is slightly on the neurotic side and Willow is grumpy, even though they get on well.

After the fight I tried to comfort him with a piece of celery but he didn't touch it. There is nothing else I can do today, as it's dark now but the whole thing was quite shocking and I felt quite down about it, so I thought I'd write down the experience as a way of self help.

Last edited:
:( I'm sorry its been so stressful. Bunny bonding is the hardest job ever sometimes. I hope tomorrow is brighter. Will you be able to check on him later to see he's eating & ok ? Sending vibes for all of you xx

I’m sorry that it’s gone like that :cry: I hope Harvey will be ok, as J&B said, could you check him later to see if he is settled and eating again? Sending lots of vibes xx

It was going really well and then it wasn't. I'm trying to bond a trio - Charlie and Willow are an established pair, Harvey is the new boy in the garden. They have been living side by side for about a month now. The initial open hostility has died down. To start with I let them out in the garden separately and it looked like Harvey was quite happy with Charlie and Willow, he snuggled down beside their run and they didn't seem to mind.

Then I let them out in the garden free range, closely supervising them. For about an hour and a half they were grazing together. There was occasional chasing but nothing more. Then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, Willow lunges at Harvey and within half a second they are a swirling ball of fur, and then, worst of all, Harvey screamed. I had never heard a rabbit scream and it was horrible. I immediately picked him up, took him in the house and gave him a thorough checkup for any injury but I couldn't find anything. No cut, wound, no bleeding. There is some fur on the grass where they had the fight but it's all clean, no blood.

Now he's just sitting in his run and looks very sad. I think he wants to join Charlie and Willow but they don't want him. He's a very lonely rabbit, he had no companion and whenever I saw him, he was sitting in a cage on his own, which is the main reason why I adopted him. Actually he has the easiest nature of all the three: Charlie is slightly on the neurotic side and Willow is grumpy, even though they get on well.

After the fight I tried to comfort him with a piece of celery but he didn't touch it. There is nothing else I can do today, as it's dark now but the whole thing was quite shocking and I felt quite down about it, so I thought I'd write down the experience as a way of self help.

I'm so very sorry to hear this :(

It's good that there are no wounds.

I hope Harvey begins eating again soon and doesn't cause you another worry in addition to the stress of bonding

I think the popular advice is back to small space, don't rush things, unless you would like 2 pairs. Good luck!

Thanks for all the good vibes. A quick update: Harvey is OK. I went out to check on him at first light and gave him a cabbage leaf. He ate it eagerly. He seems to have recovered from the bad experience, he is eating and pooing normally and was happy to come out and run around in the garden.

Thanks for all the good vibes. A quick update: Harvey is OK. I went out to check on him at first light and gave him a cabbage leaf. He ate it eagerly. He seems to have recovered from the bad experience, he is eating and pooing normally and was happy to come out and run around in the garden.

Glad to hear he's back to being a happy bunny :)

Back