• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very Impressed by the Scottish + Welsh Government Re Rabbit Welfare

Yes I was amazed, I didn't know about this until someone pointed it out. It's a step in the right direction isn't it ? :thumb:

I've been thinking about this and whilst I am still of the opinion that the English one is rubbish compared to those of Scotland and Wales, I've been wondering what purpose these publications are meant to serve.

It's not as though a new rabbit owner is going to turn to a Government publication as their first port of call when buying or adopting a rabbit. It would be different if these publications were to be distributed to places like vets and pet shops, but they suspect they aren't. The English one actually does serve some purpose as it advises how DEFRA people can inspect the farm. People who farm rabbits are going to have to make themselves aware of any relevant laws etc. I wonder what the Welsh and Scottish Governments do with their publications?

I've been thinking about this and whilst I am still of the opinion that the English one is rubbish compared to those of Scotland and Wales, I've been wondering what purpose these publications are meant to serve.

It's not as though a new rabbit owner is going to turn to a Government publication as their first port of call when buying or adopting a rabbit. It would be different if these publications were to be distributed to places like vets and pet shops, but they suspect they aren't. The English one actually does serve some purpose as it advises how DEFRA people can inspect the farm. People who farm rabbits are going to have to make themselves aware of any relevant laws etc. I wonder what the Welsh and Scottish Governments do with their publications?

I think the fact that they, the Scottish/Welsh Governments have even made the effort to include it is a huge hop forwards. Of course no-one can force individuals to search out guidelines/information or do any general research about owning Pet Rabbits (or any other Pet). But IMO having suitable guidelines on a Government Website can only be a positive. The more places that the true needs of Pet Rabbits are publicised the better, even if only one person happens to stumble upon the info'.

I know little about the Welsh Government, but as far as I am concerned the Scottish Government are the only Politicians I have any time for. Our lot, well I think most RUers know my opinion on them !! Wouldn't trust them about anything.

The only exception is Vince Cable, he gave me an enormous amount of help back in 2004/2005 and enabled me to access legal representation in a serious court case against a former GP. He also addressed the shortcomings of the Police investigation and the CPS.

Anyway, I did not mean to go off at a tangent on this thread, but it is only 0420hrs and I have been up most of the night as Morse HAD to keep doing Fox patrols............. :roll:

*Yawn*.........................

I very much agree that these publications are a huge step forward and are impressive. I'm just wondering if perhaps the intention was/is to distribute them somewhere, rather than just wait for the new rabbit owner to enquire.

Here I don't know what happens if you get a rabbit from a breeder or a pet shop, but from memory if you adopt one you are given several publications e.g. from RWAF or rabbit food manufacturers. This would seem to be the ideal time to educate a new rabbit owner.

I very much agree that these publications are a huge step forward and are impressive. I'm just wondering if perhaps the intention was/is to distribute them somewhere, rather than just wait for the new rabbit owner to enquire.

Here I don't know what happens if you get a rabbit from a breeder or a pet shop, but from memory if you adopt one you are given several publications e.g. from RWAF or rabbit food manufacturers. This would seem to be the ideal time to educate a new rabbit owner.

From some Breeders good advice is given, a long with ongoing support should it be needed. That is rare though. I am in the very small group of people on here who do know of 'good' Breeders and I dont demonise them all

Pet Shops on the other hand, well I have yet to hear any good advice given at point of sale. If any advice is given at all. PAH are about the least worst in that respect.

From some Breeders good advice is given, a long with ongoing support should it be needed. That is rare though. I am in the very small group of people on here who do know of 'good' Breeders and I dont demonise them all

Pet Shops on the other hand, well I have yet to hear any good advice given at point of sale. If any advice is given at all. PAH are about the least worst in that respect.
Atticus and Clementines breeder was helpful, told me about RHD2 in full. Said how bad it was, but also said I wouldn't bother with the standard vaccine... Just do RHD2 [emoji38] good job I don't listen to that kinda stuff!

Also couldn't get away fast enough when Clementines issues started

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Atticus and Clementines breeder was helpful, told me about RHD2 in full. Said how bad it was, but also said I wouldn't bother with the standard vaccine... Just do RHD2 [emoji38] good job I don't listen to that kinda stuff!

Also couldn't get away fast enough when Clementines issues started

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Back