• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent advice please - Re : damage to claws

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi, just after some quick advice before I call the vet.

I noticed something on our bedroom carpet this morning (where Blossom lives) it looked like blood, so I was worried about her recent spay wound, but that's all fine.

I've now discovered that she has damaged her back claws on one foot. One is missing completely, but doesn't look sore at all and two are hanging by a thread and a little bit bloody, but not bleeding now.

She is otherwise acting normally, hoping around and eating.

We cant think how it's happened, but it must of been during the night. The only thing that happened over night was my ds fell out of his bed (which is in our room), we don't know if she was near when it happened. Could it have caused this? Might she have done it to herself in shock?

Any thoughts? Thanks x

Perhaps the fall startled her and made her jump, breaking her nails? Could he have fallen on her at all? Or perhaps she got them caught in something?

If she seems to be acting ok I’m sure she will be fine, best to check what the vet thinks about it. It might be possible to trim the damaged nails to stop them being damaged further.

I noticed something on our bedroom carpet this morning (where Blossom lives) it looked like blood, so I was worried about her recent spay wound, but that's all fine.

I've now discovered that she has damaged her back claws on one foot. One is missing completely, but doesn't look sore at all and two are hanging by a thread and a little bit bloody, but not bleeding now.

We cant think how it's happened, but it must of been during the night. The only thing that happened over night was my ds fell out of his bed (which is in our room), we don't know if she was near when it happened. Could it have caused this? Might she have done it to herself in shock?

Any thoughts? Thanks x

Please don't worry ... Could she have caught her claws on the carpet and pulled them? I doubt it's anything to do with anyone falling out of bed, unless it meant she was a bit scared and tried to hop away a bit awkwardly.

I should ask the vet whether you might bathe them in cooled boiled water with a bit of salt in to prevent infection, or whether to take her in and get them looked at. It sounds like you might feel more reassured by a vet visit ..... xx

Any thoughts? Thanks x
Poor Blossom, if you're worried I'd call the vet.

Personally if they're not bleeding and the nails are gone I'd just keep an eye on her :) one of mine ripped a nail out once, she landed on it weirdly on the floor I think, so much blood! But it stopped and the nail regrew :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I would personally call a vet if one is missing, but more for infection purposes. when Luna lost a claw, they advised to bring her in so it could be cleaned. as we got her in within a few hours of it happening, they were happy to clean it and move on. however, if its been more than a few hours they would have administered an antibiotic injection and given us a three day course.

hay, dust etc could get into the wound, which could be a cause for concern.

if one had just snapped off its not really too big of a concern, its similar to cutting down too far I've accidentally cut far too down in a nail due to a wriggly rabbit, I stick some flour on, give a piece of carrot and moved on :lol:

I think also to prevent any further damage or pain, they may want to remove the ones hanging on by a thread. they could start bleeding or rip the nail more.

personally I'd call and get it checked by a vet so its cleaned.

Back