• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis medication for baby?

laaurie

New Kit
So my roughly 12-14 week old bun has GI stasis :(

I already have some medication from the vet, left over from my other buns semi-frequent stasis bouts. The only issue is, all of the dosages on the labels are specific to her, and I'm not sure if these are medications a baby can have. The medications I have are: Emeprid, Loxicom and Ranitidine. Are these medications suitable for a baby? If so, how much should I give him? He weighs 840grams.

Of course I'm going to make a vets appointment if these cant be used, but I'm very short of money atm and dont want to take him if I'll be sent away with the same medications i already have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You still need to take your bunny to the Vet if he has stopped eating. You can tell them what medicenes you have so they won't give you anymore. Being a baby is vital you get Vt's treatment. Hope he will be ok.

You still need to take your bunny to the Vet if he has stopped eating. You can tell them what medicenes you have so they won't give you anymore. Being a baby is vital you get Vt's treatment. Hope he will be ok.
This.

He needs to see a vet and if you already have the medication, they will advise dosage for your bunnies weight, and you can use what you already have :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I understand I need to see the vet, but they charge like £30 just for the consultation, even if i already have the medicine. So like I said before, I want to give him the medication that I already have first to see if it works. If everyones just going to tell me to take him to the vet and not answer my actual question then I'll just have to guess the dosages myself. Thanks.

I understand I need to see the vet, but they charge like £30 just for the consultation, even if i already have the medicine. So like I said before, I want to give him the medication that I already have first to see if it works. If everyones just going to tell me to take him to the vet and not answer my actual question then I'll just have to guess the dosages myself. Thanks.

I think you work out dosage based on his weight..?

I understand vets aren't cheap, but I'd hate to advise anything and it not be stasis. So all I can say is I think a vet trip is needed especially as he is so young :(

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

All the medications you list are Prescription Only and can only be administered after the sick Rabbit has been examined by a qualified Veterinary Surgeon.

I am sorry if the advice already given is not what you want to hear, but it is the only safe and legal advice we, unqualified members for the public, can give. Gut stasis can be a secondary symptom as opposed to a primary problem. Only an examination by a Vet can ascertain the full facts and thus prescribe the appropriate treatment.

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Giving prokinetics (Emeprid/Ranitidine) without first being certain that there is no gastrointestinal obstruction can be extremely dangerous, it can be fatal.

In baby Rabbits gut problems can be especially serious and that is yet another reason why a Vet should be consulted.

It is of course your choice whether or not to take the advice to consult a Vet.

So my roughly 12-14 week old bun has GI stasis :(

I already have some medication from the vet, left over from my other buns semi-frequent stasis bouts. The only issue is, all of the dosages on the labels are specific to her, and I'm not sure if these are medications a baby can have. The medications I have are: Emeprid, Loxicom and Ranitidine. Are these medications suitable for a baby? If so, how much should I give him? He weighs 840grams.

Of course I'm going to make a vets appointment if these cant be used, but I'm very short of money atm and dont want to take him if I'll be sent away with the same medications i already have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there

I am sorry your little bun has stasis.

One thing I would be very wary of is giving pro kinetics like Emeprid without a vet ascertaining whether there is a blockage or not. The way a vet can ascertain that is by taking the temperature and also the Blood Glucose level.

If you give Prokinetics and there's a blockage then you risk a serious complication of Stasis.

There's some info here:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?id=3846185&pid=11147

You can give Infacol without any problem whatsoever - a 1ml dose every three hours will help a lot.

I hope your little one will be OK x

Baby bunnies are very fragile and many years ago I experienced first hand how quickly they can become too sick to recover. What I am saying is you may not have enough time to try something that may or may not work before taking the bunny for a professional evaluation. In addition, a small bunny is likely to get dehydrated quickly which may require sub Q or IV fluids. That being said, you may be able to try some syringe feedings and oral fluids at home before taking further actions with vets and medications. This is based on my personal experience only.

Last edited:

nobody except a vet can advise you on dosage. this forum isn't full of vets anyhow, this is meant for advise. the only one who can tell you is a vet. they will need to see one anyhow...

I realise this isn't what you want to hear, but you can not just go giving rabbits medications. they're incredibly fragile and easily killed, as harsh as that sounds. if they have a blockage, giving them gut stimulants will only like it make it worse, and/or rip open their organs if the blockage is far too big to be passed. you can't just give medication and hope for the best. for a bun who usually gets stasis, you can, but for a new case? you can not.

if you still have enough medication at home, and they are within their date (many can not be used after being opened for x amount of time), you can just use the ones at home after seeing a vet. tell them that you have it at home and they'll let you use it more than likely.

I have been there myself, money can be tight, but at the end of the day we can not play games with a sick rabbit. they need a vet for stasis and asap, esp with being so young. if this was an out of hours vet I can understand, as their prices can be extortionate and I've never been in a financial position for those.

if money is tight/an issue, taking out insurance may offer peace of mind. or, some prefer to put x amount of money away each week in a savings account to cover any emergency vet bills & vaccinations. I do both personally.

I hope bunny is doing better today and has seen a vet if possible.

Back