• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mishka has been in a fight, lost part of her eyelid

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
I've made a horrible, horrible mistake. We moved up to Wales a couple of days ago (the move was a nightmare thanks mostly to the terrible removal people who were astonishingly bad) in what was supposed to be a one day move. After everything was packed they announced that they would in fact be taking the lorries back to storage overnight, leaving us up here at the new house with no beds, pens for the rabbits or even litter. Thankfully I had enough hay to get then through the night but in all the poor rabbits spent about 48 hrs in carriers.
When the removal people finally turned up I had to make up tiny temporary pens for the rabbits as not all the panels were in the first lorry (last of them didn't arrive until evening and it was the next day before I even managed to track down where they'd put them all)

Long story short, some are still in the temporary pens. I was going to finish the last of them off today but at 7am I heard a loud noise. I went down to find that both Lunar and Mishka (mortal enemies) had escaped. Lunar appeared unharmed but Mishka had *lots* of fur pulled out scattered all over the place. I found her hiding behind her litter tray and quickly realised her eye was damaged. I looked closer and there's a large chunk of her eyelid missing :cry:
Obviously I wanted to get her to a vet right away but they didn't open until ten and the emergency vet was too far as my mum's car wasnt taxed. When I got hold of the vet they couldn't see her until 1 pm so the poor thing went nearly six hours like that.. thankfully she was playing and eating so wasn't in too much of a state.
I'm now worried as I'm very uncertain about the vet. She scruffed poor Mishka and handled her very roughly. She said she needs surgery to stich the two halves of the eyelid together, though thankfully her cornea hasn't been damaged. She's quoted around £250-£300 which I was a little surprised at (+£70 for eye drops and a single injectable painkiller - I assume metacam - today)
She wanted her to stay in overnight for tomorrow. She was quite insistent and I couldn't understand why. Eventually she said because they might fight again which makes no sense to me. Obviously I'm not putting them together and even if I was going to do something silly like that how is it any different to me putting them together before or after surgery. They will always fight. In not stupid enough to put them in the same pen on purpose and if she was worried about that all she needed to say was keep them apart. I see no reason that she should have been kept in overnight and stressed except for it making profit for the vet..

I feel so terrible. This whole thing is my fault and my own stupidity at putting them in the same room together. I thought the pens would hold overnight; I should have built them better.
Now I'm stuck as she has to be in before 9am so I don't have time to phone around for another vet. I think she's capable of doing the job but clearly not aware of how to handle rabbits and I think out for profit more than anything else.
I so with I could take her back to Karolina (my old vet), she'd have seen to her properly. I don't like this one at all based purely on her handling methods and I'm going to be looking for another vet after this.
I'm so upset because I've made all the poor choices that have led up to this. Before the vet Mishka was eating and playing, exploring her new home with enthusiasm. Now she's huddled under a chair refusing to eat. I think she was quite shocked by it all, she's not used to being handled so roughly :(

Because my confidence in this vet is not strong.. does anyone know if exocin (ofloxacin) is rabbit safe? I've been told to use it three times today

I’m sorry that it’s been such an ordeal:cry: everyone makes mistakes and you shouldn’t beat yourself up for it, you are doing the best you can to get through it.

I’m not sure you have much choice over the vet situation, as obviously her eyelid needs sorting out, it might be worth posting on here for recommendations, or looking on the rwaf list of rabbit friendly vets here https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
If you have you use that vet I would speak to the manager and ask him to ensure rabbits are handled properly, and I would look for a new vet for the future.

Sending lots of vibes for her and hugs to you xx

I've already done that; sadly no rabbit savvy vets in the area. Thanks though.
She is the manager! And head vet.
Not impressed..
I don't think I have a choice about tomorrow, as you say it has to be stitched. I know for a fact my old vet would have done it today, no way she'd have sent her home, busy it not. Poor Mishka is in a state now, she was actually doing ok considering.
I won't be going back after this though. I'll find a new vet. There are a couple more around. I don't want to upset things until after the surgery though.

I've already done that; sadly no rabbit savvy vets in the area. Thanks though.
She is the manager! And head vet.
Not impressed..
I don't think I have a choice about tomorrow, as you say it has to be stitched. I know for a fact my old vet would have done it today, no way she'd have sent her home, busy it not. Poor Mishka is in a state now, she was actually doing ok considering.
I won't be going back after this though. I'll find a new vet. There are a couple more around. I don't want to upset things until after the surgery though.

That is awkward! Hopefully Mishka will feel better once the painkillers kick in. Is she eating?

Not anymore. Actually she's gone right down. Now she seems to be in pain where she wasn't showing any before (I know she would have been but she wasn't showing it). I think the painkillers have had enough time, I'm now worried about stasis as the vet stressed her so badly.

Not anymore. Actually she's gone right down. Now she seems to be in pain where she wasn't showing any before (I know she would have been but she wasn't showing it). I think the painkillers have had enough time, I'm now worried about stasis as the vet stressed her so badly.

Oh dear :cry: can you tempt her with grass, fruit baby food or recovery food? Or pellets made into mush? Frosty liked the recovery food mixed with mashed banana, I suppose you don’t want to syringe feed unless it becomes necessary because that might stress her more. When did she last eat? When did you get back from the vet?

I've tried her with a few things since we've been home. Grass, blackberry leaves, Apple (her favourite) and protexin pro fibre pellets (her other favourite). Nothing :(
She was eating well before the vet stressed her (after injury), actually once the initial shock of it died down she went back to herself. She was even binkying.

I've tried her with a few things since we've been home. Grass, blackberry leaves, Apple (her favourite) and protexin pro fibre pellets (her other favourite). Nothing :(
She was eating well before the vet stressed her (after injury), actually once the initial shock of it died down she went back to herself. She was even binkying.

Oh dear :cry: how long have you been back from the vet? I’m wondering if she will settle after she’s been back home for a bit?

Somewhere between 1.30-2pm. I think I'll have to do some syringe feeding tonight at this rate but that worries me about surgery in the morning :(

Somewhere between 1.30-2pm. I think I'll have to do some syringe feeding tonight at this rate but that worries me about surgery in the morning :(

Hopefully if you syringe feed her that might kick start her to eating again. Maybe it’s worth calling the vet in case she needs gut stimulants?

I am sorry to hear about Mishka's mishap. Was she given Vetergesic/Buprenorphine as a pain killer ? If so that may account for her lack of eating and hiding away.
Details of drugs given should be itemised on your receipt.

I did wonder if it could have been vetergesic as it would at least account for her being so sleepy but doesn't that increase the risk of anaesthetic? Would they give that the day before surgery? I assumed it would be metacam. I should have asked but the whole thing kind of left me in a bit of shock, I wasn't expecting to see her handled that way.
She's still under her chair. I'm going to bring her up with me tonight in an old 120 cage (thank goodness I kept a couple as backups; a pity the removal people have destroyed all but one :censored:) so I can watch her through the night. If she won't eat within half an hour I'm going to try a bit by syringe.

I wish I could call back the vet but they closed at 3pm. I could call the emergency vet up Cardiff but I'd rather not unless I have to as I don't think my mum's to driving all that way.

Oh, re. Itemised receipts I didn't get one but you only get then at companion care surgeries if you request them I think. Wish I had now. I might try to get one tomorrow

I did wonder if it could have been vetergesic as it would at least account for her being so sleepy but doesn't that increase the risk of anaesthetic? Would they give that the day before surgery? I assumed it would be metacam. I should have asked but the whole thing kind of left me in a bit of shock, I wasn't expecting to see her handled that way.
She's still under her chair. I'm going to bring her up with me tonight in an old 120 cage (thank goodness I kept a couple as backups; a pity the removal people have destroyed all but one :censored:) so I can watch her through the night. If she won't eat within half an hour I'm going to try a bit by syringe.

I wish I could call back the vet but they closed at 3pm. I could call the emergency vet up Cardiff but I'd rather not unless I have to as I don't think my mum's to driving all that way.

Any drugs given today will be on her clinical records and taken into account before her GA tomorrow. I think trying to get her to eat/poo tonight is the main thing to focus on. Sending lots of vibes for her xx

I'm so very sorry to hear about Mishka. What an ordeal!

Vetergesic is out of the rabbit's system within 8 hours. That doesn't mean they can't be sleepy for a time after that, but that's what the vet says anyway.

Good luck with the syringe feeding. I hope you can get her eating again.
Do you have any baby food pouches to mix with some recovery food or mashed pellets?

Hugs for you xx

Sending vibes for her.

I can only imagine how stressed you must be feeling. Moving house is so difficult at the best of times. Thinking of you xx

I'm sorry that this has happened. I hope that you manage to get Mishka to eat something this evening and that she gets on well at the vets tomorrow. Sending lots of vibes for her.

Given her some mashed protexin pro fibre mixed with water by syringe. Probably took around 8-10ml (hard to say). She didn't resist to much and took it reasonably well. No droppings and hasn't wet all day. Have just set her up a temporary cage (small but will do for a day or two so I can keep an eye on her)

I'm planning to try Maes Glas surgery after this. Jazzie has her booster coming up so I'll get an idea what they're like then. Not staying at this companion care.

Just picked her up off the bed and found a large wet patch underneath her and all down her chest; she's drooling. Should I be worried? I'm not liking any of this at all

Back