• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heartbroken :(

I just went outside now and found Thistle sat outside Floras old hutch. They were never bonded with each other (the vet has adviced that he’s too old to be neutered), but he absolutely adored her, and would head straight for hutch every morning to groom her, and he would spend all day lying next to her with the mesh in between them. She passed away about 5 weeks ago, but he still religiously spends most of his day waiting for her. :cry:

Just wondering if it would possible to bond two males together? I know two unneutered males would normally fight, but could it work if they are both had the right temperaments?

I wouldn’t even think about attempting to bond two unneutered males personally, their hormones make it far too dangerous a bond in my opinion. I’m so sorry for poor Thistle though x

I wouldn’t even think about attempting to bond two unneutered males personally, their hormones make it far too dangerous a bond in my opinion. I’m so sorry for poor Thistle though x

I agree with this. 2 neutered males can work, and can work very well, but not 2 un neutered males. How old is Thistle, and is your vet rabbit savvy? As neutering a male is not a big invasive op so it might be possible. If your vet is not rabbit savvy you could post on here asking for recommendations for a rabbit savvy vet in your area. The rwaf also has a list of rabbit friendly vets here https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

I agree with this. 2 neutered males can work, and can work very well, but not 2 un neutered males. How old is Thistle, and is your vet rabbit savvy? As neutering a male is not a big invasive op so it might be possible. If your vet is not rabbit savvy you could post on here asking for recommendations for a rabbit savvy vet in your area. The rwaf also has a list of rabbit friendly vets here https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
He’s 6 1/2 - my vet doesn’t like neutering rabbits over 4. They are pretty rabbit savy, but I’d just feel really scared about putting him through GA - in the past I’ve lost a healthy 8 month old Nethie when he went in for a routine dental (at a different practice that is listed on your link). Could it potentially work if I tried bonding him with a neutered male? Thistles not really aggressive towards other rabbits.

He is still relatively young. If he has no health issues I would seek a second opinion about neutering. Four years is a low cut off point for not neutering and suggests a lack of confidence from your vet.

I know it takes courage. When Esme was six months old she had a bad reaction to general anaesthetic and her spay was postponed. My original vets advised not to try again. I took her to another vet who had no concerns about spaying her and did it successfully. Last year aged nine years she had further surgery for a rather intrusive fatty lump, again my rabbit-experienced vets were confident to put her under GA ..at nine years.

Last edited:
Back