• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam/Tramadol/Steroid Jaw Arthritis and Liver damage

GrunBunMum

Warren Scout
Florrie (11 year old) has been for a blood test and dental today and we have been told she has liver damage. She's had blood test before and it has shown up liver issues but nothing to be too concerned about.

She's been on metacam for jaw arthritis for 3 years and we were in the process of putting her on tramadol alongside as she seems to be struggling with the pain recently.

Our vet wants to take her off the metacam because of the effect it could be having on her liver and put her on steroid injections instead along side tramadol.
Everywhere I read steroid injections do not sound good at all and can also effect the liver?
I'm confused with why too. Is the steroid injection to help the liver and tramadol for pain?

I really want what is best for my old girl and do not want her in pain, any idea's?

Poor Florrie :cry: sending lots of vibes for her. I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise. is your vet rabbit savvy? Hopefully someone will be able to offer some advice to you.

I too am rather confused about the suggestion of using a corticosteroid. As you have noted, corticosteroids can cause liver damage. But I am not a Vet so I am not qualified to offer any useful advice other than to seek a second opinion or to have a more in depth discussion with your current Vet as to why he/she feels that it is appropriate to use a corticosteroid instead of Metacam.

Also, if Tramadol is given to a Rabbit (or human) with Liver disease then the dose needs to be much lower than may otherwise be prescribed.

I think what analgesia may be safest and at what dose would depend on the exact nature of the liver damage. I believe it is a lot more complicated if the liver is cirrhotic (scared from longterm damage)

Sorry not to be of much help, I hope that Florrie can remain as comfortable as possible x

Florrie (11 year old) has been for a blood test and dental today and we have been told she has liver damage. She's had blood test before and it has shown up liver issues but nothing to be too concerned about.

She's been on metacam for jaw arthritis for 3 years and we were in the process of putting her on tramadol alongside as she seems to be struggling with the pain recently.

Our vet wants to take her off the metacam because of the effect it could be having on her liver and put her on steroid injections instead along side tramadol.
Everywhere I read steroid injections do not sound good at all and can also effect the liver?
I'm confused with why too. Is the steroid injection to help the liver and tramadol for pain?

I really want what is best for my old girl and do not want her in pain, any idea's?

I'm sorry to hear about your lovely Florrie - but what a great age to get to!

When I had this situation, I was told that Tramadol would also be indicated in liver damage. It's a balancing act between controlling the pain and also trying not to affect any organs.

You could ask your vet to consider putting her on some Milk Thistle, which is a proven liver support and regenerator, and you might also think about a second opinion of those blood tests and the pain relief?

I hope you can find a way forward for Florrie x

Back