• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bun in P@H adoption - HELP!

capable

Mama Doe
God, I only went in for hay :roll:

Since William didn’t bond into a trio, I’ve been thinking about getting him a wife. He’s naturally dominant and didn’t gel with my 2 other boys, so I’ve been considering a nice, gentle lady-bun.

I popped into P@H this morning, and a female lop had been surrendered by her owner yesterday. Staff know nothing about her, other than she’s female...and 8 years old. No clue on vaccination history, or if she’s been spayed.

Would I be crazy to consider her? She looks so sweet bless her, and to be surrendered at that age makes me so sad. At 8 years old, I don’t know if I’d want to have her put under for a spray which may have already been carried out, and I suppose she’d need quarantined till vaccination (all my boys have been done)? AND she might not even bond with William, and I’d have another single rabbit to house.

Help!

All of the 'what ifs' you have mentioned could apply also to any doe you adopted. For me the important thing is to listen to my gut feeling. If you feel drawn to her, I personally would get her. Sometimes the rabbits in P@H have been neutered. This doe would obviously not have been old P@H stock and has possibly just been surrendered in the same way as if it were a normal rescue.

I agree it is very sad that an 8 year old is in rescue :(

Let us know what you decide :)

That’s all true Omi. My p@h doesn’t have an in store vet, so I doubt she would’ve been checked over. With our local rescue, they’re also willing to take back any animals if they didn’t work out (no single does in residence, unfortunately). I didn’t get chance to lay hands on her, so i don’t know what her body condition is like, but she was feisty enough when the staff checked her gender!

You can't save them all.

Would it be good for you to have this rabbit? That can be the only criterion, because any rabbit you see in P@H etc would be better off with you.

Some bunnies really do tug at the heart strings don’t they! If I were in your position I’d consider the worse case scenarios.

If she isn’t spayed do you have the funds to cover the cost of that? Plus any future vet expenses if they crop up. You might have difficulty taking out an initial insurance policy because of her age. Although having said that, I’m sure I read on here of a company that lets you take out policies on older buns.

Secondly, if she didn’t bond with William and you had to keep them both as singletons would you have enough room to meet everybun’s housing needs?

I think once you get the practicalities sorted it’ll be much easier to make a decision.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks hb & scrappyslittlehelper. You’re both right of course; while I’d be able to afford worst case scenario vet bills, realistically I don’t have space for another singleton if they didn’t bond. She did properly hook me, poor thing deserves a loving home for her twilight years.

I compounded my guilt by popping into the rescue centre on the way home - still no single lady buns, but plenty of other sad beautiful faces :(

God, I only went in for hay :roll:

Since William didn’t bond into a trio, I’ve been thinking about getting him a wife. He’s naturally dominant and didn’t gel with my 2 other boys, so I’ve been considering a nice, gentle lady-bun.

I popped into P@H this morning, and a female lop had been surrendered by her owner yesterday. Staff know nothing about her, other than she’s female...and 8 years old. No clue on vaccination history, or if she’s been spayed.

Would I be crazy to consider her? She looks so sweet bless her, and to be surrendered at that age makes me so sad. At 8 years old, I don’t know if I’d want to have her put under for a spray which may have already been carried out, and I suppose she’d need quarantined till vaccination (all my boys have been done)? AND she might not even bond with William, and I’d have another single rabbit to house.

Help!

It would be sad, but Pets at Home would take her back if she didn't bond ...

If you've been considering a doe, and your heart pulls you in that direction, then I would certainly consider it.
Ask if they can vaccinate her (for both myxo, and RHD1 and 2) before she leaves the store for your place.
That way it's one less stress to worry about x

It would be sad, but Pets at Home would take her back if she didn't bond ...

If you've been considering a doe, and your heart pulls you in that direction, then I would certainly consider it.
Ask if they can vaccinate her (for both myxo, and RHD1 and 2) before she leaves the store for your place.
That way it's one less stress to worry about x

This sounds like a good idea :)

Who else is going to give her a happy home for the last years of her life. If you can afford her, get her. As MM says, they’d take her back if it didn’t work out with William. You have to sort out the practicalities first, then go with your heart. X

Well, I went back for her, and just as I came in through the door there was a family standing by the adoption centre, with a 100cm indoor cage, taking her home. I hope they’re prepared to take on the care and vet bills that inevitably come with a senior bun. Sad that she’s going somewhere alone, kicking myself a little for not being 10 minutes earlier, but it can’t be helped. At least it looks like she’ll be indoors this winter, to warm her old bones, I just hope she gets plenty of time out of that little cage too.

Well, I went back for her, and just as I came in through the door there was a family standing by the adoption centre, with a 100cm indoor cage, taking her home. I hope they’re prepared to take on the care and vet bills that inevitably come with a senior bun. Sad that she’s going somewhere alone, kicking myself a little for not being 10 minutes earlier, but it can’t be helped. At least it looks like she’ll be indoors this winter, to warm her old bones, I just hope she gets plenty of time out of that little cage too.

I'm so sorry you went back for her and missed her. At least like you say she's going to be indoors and not sitting in a small hutch in all weathers on her own.
Think of it this way....there is a little bunny somewhere that is desperately waiting to find their loving forever home....and they're waiting for you....and you will meet one day :thumb: :love: x

Sorry about that, but the way you've described it, it seems it wasn't meant to be ....

I like k1984's image of another little bunny with your name on just waiting for you :love:

Part of me also wants to say, keep an eye on the adoption section in case they realise they've made a mistake taking her home!

Back