• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Interesting case of E.cuniculi

Obviously not ideal to get a young rabbit and for it to be ill so early on, and I don’t know her situation, but it makes me sad how so many people give up on rabbits at the slightest sign of illness.

Interesting point though MM, I mean it wouldn’t hurt for them to send a course of Panacur home. I have always given any rabbits I have adopted a precautionary course of it just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously not ideal to get a young rabbit and for it to be ill so early on, and I don’t know her situation, but it makes me sad how so many people give up on rabbits at the slightest sign of illness.

Interesting point though MM, I mean it wouldn’t hurt for them to send a course of Panacur home. I have always given any rabbits I have adopted a precautionary course of it just in case.

Well that's interesting to hear nap, as when I put a thread up a while ago asking if anyone 'panacured' their rabbits when they joined the household, most people said no they didn't!

Oh really? Mine have all been rescued so not really knowing backgrounds for them I’ve just done it to be on the safe side!

Well that's interesting to hear nap, as when I put a thread up a while ago asking if anyone 'panacured' their rabbits when they joined the household, most people said no they didn't!
Yea I panacur now when I adopt, Apricot and Penelope have just finished their 28 day course.

Article is so badly researched, bit painful to read [emoji38] I think 80% of buns carry it...? I mean a better decision is not to buy a live animal from pets at homes horrendous 'stock' - feel like that's the real lesson here [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Oh really? Mine have all been rescued so not really knowing backgrounds for them I’ve just done it to be on the safe side!

I 100% agree with you :)

Moving to a new home, and particularly bonding are such stressful times for rabbits, it's when their immune systems are likely to be very challenged. Covering them against E.C. at that time seems a sensible precaution. :)

Overmedicating will lead to the parasite buildning up immunity to the medicine..so panacuring each rabbit for 28 days is not a great way to go.
Clean enviroments and better inspections on pets stores and their breeders would help..

If a rabbit was that poorly, I doubt that P@H would have had the resources to nurse it back to health :(

Yes I'm a bit unsure why she had to give him back because he was ill and yet is able to go to the local paper about it? Don't get me wrong I'm all for raising awareness and it's great that she says she won't ever get an animal from a pet shop again but I'm curious as to why she didn't stick with him or have him put down if things really were that bad. Poor bun.

Yes I'm a bit unsure why she had to give him back because he was ill and yet is able to go to the local paper about it? Don't get me wrong I'm all for raising awareness and it's great that she says she won't ever get an animal from a pet shop again but I'm curious as to why she didn't stick with him or have him put down if things really were that bad. Poor bun.
She probably didn't want to have to pay.. I mean if you purchase an animal you want it to be healthy... You expect it I guess... She was technically sold a problem... And didn't want that problem..

I'm not saying I agree with this btw or that I'd do it personally - just if you think about the bun as being a faulty birthday pressie, I get the feeling that's how people view animals bought for kids sometimes.. :(

Yea I panacur now when I adopt, Apricot and Penelope have just finished their 28 day course.

Article is so badly researched, bit painful to read [emoji38] I think 80% of buns carry it...? I mean a better decision is not to buy a live animal from pets at homes horrendous 'stock' - feel like that's the real lesson here [emoji38]

Yes definitely!

Yeah ... Perhaps got aggrieved with the Pet Store and wanted to make an example.

Sometimes animals are poorly from Rescues, Breeders, wherever.

I know someone who adopted a rescue rabbit and had enormous health problems with him, and he passed away within six months.

With live animals there is no guarantee. Sad for the rabbit though :(

I think screening would be extremely difficult as the blood test involved does not just come back as a positive or negative! For example the IgM indicates initial exposure and active infection of a period of time whereas IgG determines a long term exposure

As an example my own bunny has a negative for IgM but a positive for IgG so has been exposed but it’s not necessarily active and may never be and so we are not treating but may retest - certainly that’s my take on it (I lose my vet nursey head when it comes to dealing with my own poorly pets!).

When I carried out my university dissertation I believe one study quoted that 52% of rabbits are likely to have been exposed although this may be different now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think screening would be extremely difficult as the blood test involved does not just come back as a positive or negative! For example the IgM indicates initial exposure and active infection of a period of time whereas IgG determines a long term exposure

As an example my own bunny has a negative for IgM but a positive for IgG so has been exposed but it’s not necessarily active and may never be and so we are not treating but may retest - certainly that’s my take on it (I lose my vet nursey head when it comes to dealing with my own poorly pets!).

When I carried out my university dissertation I believe one study quoted that 52% of rabbits are likely to have been exposed although this may be different now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I totally agree, screening is impossible. And prohibitively expensive for any Pet Store or Breeder to undertake before selling.

Yes, more rabbits are exposed to E.C. than are not. Thank goodness we now have Panacur.
I remember the days of using Albendazole for this kind of thing!

Out of interest, do you Panacur a new rabbit when it joins your home/other bunnies etc?

I totally agree, screening is impossible. And prohibitively expensive for any Pet Store or Breeder to undertake before selling.

Yes, more rabbits are exposed to E.C. than are not. Thank goodness we now have Panacur.
I remember the days of using Albendazole for this kind of thing!

Out of interest, do you Panacur a new rabbit when it joins your home/other bunnies etc?

I never have, although myself and my vet have been discussing using it at possible times of stress now I know one of them has a positive for IgG. (Although typically the lowest positive is 1:80 and she tested as 1:80 so we may retest her in a month or so). I would also consider bloodwork for Harris at some point but as they’ve never been apart it’s likely that he’s been exposed too.

I never have, although myself and my vet have been discussing using it at possible times of stress now I know one of them has a positive for IgG. (Although typically the lowest positive is 1:80 and she tested as 1:80 so we may retest her in a month or so). I would also consider bloodwork for Harris at some point but as they’ve never been apart it’s likely that he’s been exposed too.

It's a pretty safe drug on the whole, but of course you wouldn't want to give anything unless there was a good reason.
Vets seem to have different opinions as well, which doesn't make it easy for people to decide.

Back