• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RWA and our decision to cancel our membership

Status
Not open for further replies.
November 13th 2004

Rabbit Welfare Association
PO Box 603
Horsham
West Sussex
RH13 5WL

Dear RWA,

It is with regret that we feel we can no longer be members of the Rabbit Welfare Association. After our experience today, we are seriously disillusioned with your organisation, its aims and priorities.

This is our first year as members of the RWA and in the beginning we were impressed. It is a shame that our opinions are now the polar opposite. We have been discussing how much time we would be able to dedicate to rabbit welfare in the new year and in what fashion. We have a large vehicle so we were considering doing home visits for local rescues. Professionally, we are successful business people and influential public speakers. In order to best serve rabbit welfare we had planned to volunteer as RWA Outreach Officers. We are enthusiastic rabbit welfare advocates and are especially successful at fund-raising.

We are the proud owners of 10 rabbits. This year, we have adopted 2 rabbits from Delia & Jim at Bobtails and another one from Christine at Animal Lifeline. We are, as a result of education and awareness, very keen to support our local rescues with donations and adoptions.

We have a clan of 4 Dutch rabbits who all live together. Unfortunately, when we brought Clio home he had an undiagnosed case of the pasturella virus and therefore infected his fellow pen mates. He later contracted pneumonia and almost died. Karen Smith our vet was fantastic and refused to give up on him. We didn’t either and have been passionate ever since about the preventive health of our rabbits. We know that the virus is very difficult to “cure” and that they will always be susceptible to infection.

When we saw that Francis Harcourt-Brown was speaking at the RWA conference this year on Treatment Issues and Strategies for Chronically Ill Rabbits, we were determined to attend. As you can imagine, it is very difficult to plan in advance when you have 10 rabbits, four of whom are chronically ill! It is my own fault that I did not have a chance to register before the 13th of November but we tried to contact the organiser the day before to no avail.

We decided to drive to Bristol from Gatwick and see if we could still attend as we had not heard that it was sold out. When we arrived at 9:40am we explained to the organiser that we hadn’t booked and we were 10 minutes late, but could we still attend? She was not keen to accommodate us but said yes and that we would have to wait for the break. We thought that was excellent news and said that we were only really concerned if it meant missing Dr Harcourt-Brown. The organiser at this point said that the first session was in progress and that Dr. Harcourt Brown would not be speaking until 10:15am. We were happy to wait until then but the organiser crossed her arms and explained that there was not a scheduled break between speakers and that it would be impossible for us to sit down during the applause at the end of the first session. We could only go in after the scheduled break which was after Frances Harcourt-Brown, the session we drove over 150 miles to see.

We asked if we could go in if anyone got up to use the washrooms, no.
We explained that we had driven 150 miles to attend, no.
We asked if there was anyone else we could prevail upon, no.

At this point we decided it wasn’t worth paying the £150.00 entrance fee and still miss the speaker we wanted to learn from.

She said if we paid we could have the notes but still not attend the session even though it didn’t start for another 30 minutes! We were beginning to wonder who she thought actually attends conferences like this. It’s not like the general public turn up as they wander past the building. People who drive 150 miles to get there and who are willing to pay £150.00 to be there must be the lifeblood of an organisation like the RWA.

We decided to turn around and go home. I asked the organiser if she would be willing to give Dorothy from Dylan’s Friends Sanctuary a gift that we had brought with us for a rabbit she rescued earlier in the year. She looked at us like we had just said we planned to set the building on fire. She was extremely rude and ungracious about the whole episode. I wanted to write a note to Dorothy on the box but she grabbed it and scrawled Dorothy’s name all over it. I asked if I could please leave a quick note and was rewarded with crossed arms, a sigh, a brief nod and an order to my husband to put it over there, PLEASE. It was very upsetting and it was obvious to everyone in the room that if she could think of a way to say no, she would have done.

On our way out the door I asked her a question.

“I’m confused. Why does the RWA, a charity, not want to do everything they can to get as many donations in the form of registration fees as possible?”

The reply has absolutely stunned me.

“The RWA is the sponsor of this conference but the donations are not important because this is a professional event.”

Staggering. I didn’t realise that the RWA were so well off. Especially in light of the fact that they have run a very disturbing advertisement in this months Rabbiting On, (enclosed copy of advertisement). My husband and I could only surmise that they were desperate for funding after we read the ad for a “very large hutch” on page 35. Since when to The RWA advocate hutches with 32”x22”24” dimensions as very large? It is either the slackest piece of advertising sales we have ever seen or the RWA will take what ever it can get from business sponsors but not their own members.

To summarise…

The organiser of the event did not ask us if we were members of the RWA. On that basis it would appear that it doesn’t matter.

We arrived, seeking education and fellowship for the benefit of our 10 rabbits and we were arbitrarily denied in the most jobs-worth fashion. Our rabbits and our education are obviously not a priority to the RWA.

It is clearly a chore to facilitate rabbit owners and rescues/sanctuaries helping each other.

The RWA doesn’t need donations at professional events.

The RWA accept advertisements with information that directly contravenes everything they advocate on their own publications.

What is it then that you actually do?
At this point we fail to see any benefit at all in being a member. We believe your motives and your petty politics to be suspect. We do not see any consistency in your message. Your ambassador is rude and preoccupied with her own importance.

As far as we can see there are two fundamental functions of a charity.

1. To serve and further the purpose for which they exist.
2. To raise sufficient funds so it can continue to exist.

Two things, at which today, the RWA failed spectacularly.

Sincerely,

Andrea & James Harding

James and I have decided to donate our registration fees to Bobtails and Dylans Friends equally. Two charities who actually need donations and are unwavering in their commitment to rabbits and their welfare.

Mubby said:
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek :shock:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek good or eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek bad?
James and I love being members of this forum and I hope our decision does not make us unwelcome.

I posted this letter to the RWA on this site so that I am not here under false pretenses. I have told people here that we were members in the past but that status has obviously now changed.

Please don't ban us :shock: We are nice really :D

Rabbits United is open and neutral to all individuals and organisations. Your membership or not of the RWA isn't a requirement of membership here :)

Tam

I've got one of those ladies on the reception at our doctors, we call her Mrs blocks because you just cant get passed her :lol: :lol: you'd think she owned the place and is totally unreasonable.

If it had not been for this lady I dont think you would have had a problem, one womens actions cannot speak for everybody and I'm sure she will be asked to explain her actions once they have read your letter.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience today but i am sure it will all right its self in the end.

what a day for you sorry you had such a bad experience and a whole wasted and upsetting day! :(
but i am sure you will get some sort of apology as it was obviously down to one individual? :?:
i can understand your point of view mind i would of been un responsible for my actions i can tell you! :evil:
chin up mate sure you didn't miss much :wink:

Bertie said:
Being completely materialistic here, but do you know if the present you left was handed over?

Bertie,

I share your cynicism. I know it's sounds a terrible thing to have to wonder about fellow rabbit people, but this woman was truly something else. I was really horrified by the treatment we received.

I left the gift for Dorothy at Dylans Friends Sanctaury who if you remember helped me earlier in thr year by rehoming the black bunny Violet who was being passed around from pillar to post in Eastbourne. We have become good friends by PM and she was lovely when Heidi died. She sent me healing and I an not an expert by any means, in fact I would go so far as to say skeptical, but for some reason I felt better and certainly not as depressed as I thought I would be.

ANYWAY (I don't half waffle on sometimes). Dorothy PM'ed me last night to say thanks. This is what happened...

<quote Dorothy>
"I did not realise you had had such a hard time today. I did wonder why you had not been allowed in as there was plenty of space. I can see no reason why you could not have walked in at any time as the doors were open and some did come in a little late as there was the usual queue for the loo beforehand. Also I noted that people came in late after breaks, myself and Lynda included and some people popped out to the loo mid lecture. There seemed no problem with this. I would have thought all extra, excuse the phrase, bums on seats would have been more welcomed money in the kitty. Was it ********** you spoke to? She told me there was a box left for me. I was obviously delighted and beamed at her and said how sorry I was that I had missed you. She looked stoney faced at me, now I know why. That really is not on and I fully appeciate why you are so mad, to think you were actually there and had to turn and go home. One of the lectures covered Pastuerella in detail, so would have been ideal for you. That was the one I was loking forward to!! "
<end quote>

So yes she did get it.
I am ashamed to say that after taking such an arbiratry dislike to us, I did wonder if the lady in question would decide my gift was more suited to the bin than a sanctuary.

Hiya Andrea (Edited Post)

I'm really sorry to hear about your happenings yesterday at the Conference - we were really looking forward to seeing you and also sad to hear of your decision to cancel your membership with the RWF.

I have edited this post as I thought afterwards its not right to name individuals but my stance still stands that I feel that the RWF will not gain support if their ambassadors adopt an agressive attitude whatever the reasoning behind it. I have always been a supporter of the RWF and will probably continue to be a member but not in such an avid vain as I previously was.

I suppose it is a bit difficult to take someone seriously who is dressed up in a bunny suit but I am also a working professional person in my "other life" and you know sometimes its just nice to be warm and polite and give folks some mutual respect. But I'm a live and let live kinda gal so I think it just takes "All Sorts!).

I really hope you'll continue with RU - we really need folks like you and I'm sure there will lots of other ways other than RWF if you should decide you would like to help with Bunny Welfare.

Over and Out

I was very disapointed not to meet Andrea at the Conference.As you will have read above I can see no reason why she could not be allowed in straight away rather than being told to wait. People slipped in and out of the lecture theatre late and for the loo with no problem. I don't think anyone realy noticed. I sat at the back with Lynda so I saw people go in and out very discretely and there was no disturbance whatsoever.

I recieved the most wonderfull gift of an enormous box of Western Timothy Hay from Auntie Andrea for Violet the Eastbourne bunny. Violet will have to share it with all her bunny pals as there is enough I am sure to feed a horse :shock: :lol: :lol: and she's only a little bun :? :lol: . My husband, bless him, looked puzzled at my delight to recieve a box of hay :? . I had to explain that this is the caviar of hay for bunnies :roll: :lol: :lol: .

bunnytales said:

I'm really sorry to hear about your happenings yesterday at the Conference - we were really looking forward to seeing you and also sad to hear of your decision to cancel your membership with the RWF.

I have edited this post as I thought afterwards its not right to name individuals but my stance still stands that I feel that the RWF will not gain support if their ambassadors adopt an agressive attitude whatever the reasoning behind it. I have always been a supporter of the RWF and will probably continue to be a member but not in such an avid vain as I previously was.

I suppose it is a bit difficult to take someone seriously who is dressed up in a bunny suit but I am also a working professional person in my "other life" and you know sometimes its just nice to be warm and polite and give folks some mutual respect. But I'm a live and let live kinda gal so I think it just takes "All Sorts!).

I really hope you'll continue with RU - we really need folks like you and I'm sure there will lots of other ways other than RWF if you should decide you would like to help with Bunny Welfare.

Over and Out

I saw who you originally wrote down in your post and to be fair the problem that I had was not with her. I know the woman you are speaking of because I have had reason to speak to her a few times myself. In her defence, the first time I spoke to her I found her very standoffish and distracted, but the last few times I've spoken to her I have seen her for what she really is... A person who likes rabbits more than people. I can understand why she feels that way. Her job is mainly to listen and help people who come up with the most enormous **** when they are trying to justify cruelty, rehoming, not vaccinating etc. It is quite depressing. So yes I find her not the most socialble woman in the world, but frankly I'm amazed she still talks to people after some of things she's seen and heard.
I just wanted to post this in case anyone saw her name and I don't want anyone to think it was her.
As for RU, I love this forum. As for Rabbit Welfare, bring it on. There's lots everyone can do to help regardless of you affiliations.

bunnytales said:

Over and Out

I saw who you originally wrote down in your post and to be fair the problem that I had was not with her. I know the woman you are speaking of because I have had reason to speak to her a few times myself. In her defence, the first time I spoke to her I found her very standoffish and distracted, but the last few times I've spoken to her I have seen her for what she really is... A person who likes rabbits more than people. I can understand why she feels that way. Her job is mainly to listen and help people who come up with the most enormous **** when they are trying to justify cruelty, rehoming, not vaccinating etc. It is quite depressing. So yes I find her not the most socialble woman in the world, but frankly I'm amazed she still talks to people after some of things she's seen and heard.
I just wanted to post this in case anyone saw her name and I don't want anyone to think it was her.
As for RU, I love this forum. As for Rabbit Welfare, bring it on. There's lots everyone can do to help regardless of you affiliations.

I was thinking about joining the RWA, does anyone recommend it? I know that this is a bad bad example of people that help to organise and run these events. I would hope that not everyone is the same!!

Does it have benefits?
Can you get by without?

Hi Everyone,

I have been a member for about 4/5 years now and would say that everyone I have met has been very friendly.

The person who caused this upset I feel must be a very unhappy person in their own life and we should feel sorry for her that she took this attitude.

The RWA is trying hard - all volunteers to do good, they can make mistakes (page 35 of the mag where a large hutch was advertised) but give them a chance - point it out and see if they put it right next issue.

At the end of the day we are all working towards the same goal - a better life for our lovely bunnies.

Get involved and try and make changes if you fel they should be made, I can't wait for the mag to come through every quarter.

Try and treat this incident as a one off, which I'm sure it was and move on all for the good of our bunnies.

Bye for now

Mogs

Hi

I am a member of the RWA and really look forward the their quarterly magazine. When I lost Mr Bo-Jangles the lady I spoke to was really nice and helpful. I have rang on numerous occassions and have found them pleasant and helpful.

This unfortunate incident that HGL has had is down to one women, it does not mean that the rest of the organistion is the same. Only you can decide for yourself wonderbunn, try it and see what you think, membership is on a yearly basis so you dont have to subscibe the following year if you dont like it.

Their funds are used for good causes, one being a rabbit clinic in Bristol :D

Andrea and James, I was saddened to read about your experience that lead to your decision to withdraw support from the RWA, it does read like an experience from hell!

I am a bit perplexed as to why, as others as testified; people were indeed arriving late, popping in and out to use the loo, etc, that they could not accommodate you. That does seem strange to me.

However….

Had they refused you point blank then I would have understood those actions as you described them. Any organisation needs to plan a conference and pre-booking is an essential element in ensuring the success (or viability) of any conference.

Conference organisers have to draw the line somewhere. However, I do not think that judgement is very clever in this case as you relay it to us.

The alternative is for the RWA to book and pay for all the accommodation, speakers, equipment, hotels… and much more in the “hope” that projected figures will “turn up”.

I have just returned from a small conference of surgeons starting as Consultants which I sponsored. 15% did not turn up! The organisers will only take bookings and payment up front. Rightfully so as well.

I think that you have inadvertently underlined the reasons for the RWA insisting on pre-registrations. Bottom line is that this event was well publicised and members were given ample opportunity to pre-book and were told that this was the only option.

I have got to say that if you really wanted to attended and hear FCB talk then you should have made arrangements when first announced. I don’t hold with your view that you were unable to arrange cover.

Think about the people that attended – they managed!!!! AND, I dare say that they came from a much more challenging environment than you!!

I am truly sorry that you went out of your way to travel all the way to attend on the “off chance”. That was ENTIRELY your own decision….. I do find it incredible that you should bring criticism down upon an organision such as the RWA because of your personal failings?? I think that that is extremely sad.

The RWA is not about what ”I” or “you” can do. It is about what we can all do together using the RWA as the force to actually do something about it. I am sorry that you feel that you can do better on your own.

Just my humble opinion ;

The events that transpired at the time of the Conference are purely between the RWA Member and Andrea.
This matter is not appropriate for public scrutiny, therefore I am locking the thread.
Adele

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back